First Person Shooters: The Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 09, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

so neversoft spider-man meets goldeneye? i thought i was going to hear that this was going to be above average at best but that's amazing!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

To be more descriptive, you don't swing with the Q-Claw. It's more like you shoot the claw, then it retracts and pulls you straight. The Difference is that you can do it to any surface and stick there like Spider-Man, shooting wherever you like.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

whoa, that's exactly like how neversoft spidey's zipline move works that i was initially joking about. that's awesome.

gunswordfist

did anyone else like n64 the world is not enough? i liked it more than goldeneye for a little while due to the great multiplayer and i played little to none of single player but it looked great and so were the gadgets.

Spark Of Spirit

I think I'll be skipping DOOM.

The combat is great. The lack of regenerating health is great. The guns look great. The enemy design looks great. The music and sound effects sound great. The presentation is great, even if its missing color.

The level design is not.

It's missing the exploration just like I feared it would. The entire level design seems to be: narrow corridor, open room for shooting, narrow corridor, lots of shooting in open room, rinse and repeat. No puzzles, no tricky traps, or environmental hazards, and no tenseness really hurt it. Of all the ingredients in a DOOM game, level design is my #1 cavil with what I've seen. DOOM is level design above all else, and it doesn't look like they've got that down.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've heard that the maps are pretty big for each level and not super linear, but that was just from someone doing an early impression of the game, so maybe it doesn't reflect the whole thing. The quick look from Giant Bomb seems to support this notion so far, though. Are you just basing this off of one video or have a lot of people been complaining about it being super linear? The video you linked to just seems to represent one particular sequence from the game.

I don't know, I think it looks pretty bad-ass, myself. I don't expect it to be classic DOOM-levels of greatness, but it's easily the most appealing game to come out of the genre for me since Halo: Reach.

Spark Of Spirit

Every video I've seen hasn't focused on level design, so I can only make guesses. But it doesn't look very varied from what I've seen. As I said, everything else looks like classic DOOM. I just want the level design to be as involved as the other 3 were.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've only heard, so I can't really claim anything, but apparently this game has colored keys and multi-tiered level maps and everything. If the game being a corridor-shooter to you is because much of it takes place in hallways and such, then yeah I can see your point, but to be fair the original DOOM also had a lot of corridor-heavy levels. They still weren't linear, though. So maybe this new game might not be either. I'm honestly not really sure, though.

Even if it did have more linear levels, though, I'd still take it over most shooters that we get today. As much as I love classic DOOM's level design, it wasn't the only thing that made it a great game for me. Combat and movement were a big factor as well, and this game definitely seems to have nailed those factors down.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I'm still going to give it a try. I just won't be jumping in right away. I'm still a bit burned out on FPS games, but a good DOOM game will go a long way to make me forgetting all about my self-imposed exile.

Foggle

All the reviews I've read have said that the game does, in fact, feature labyrinths and complicated level design, including colored key cards and platforming (with a double jump!). Micki! also described its design sensibilities as being "similar to Metroid."

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So in other words, now Desensitized has nothing to complain about without actually playing the game for himself? :sly:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 17, 2016, 08:48:08 PM
All the reviews I've read have said that the game does, in fact, feature labyrinths and complicated level design, including colored key cards and platforming (with a double jump!). Micki! also described its design sensibilities as being "similar to Metroid."
Sounds like everything I asked for.

Foggle

So apparently the new Doom game features an easy-to-use level editor, even on consoles. It's like the Mario Maker of FPS.

why was I not informed :o

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I was wrong.

I haven't been more wrong about a game ever.

Recently, I went to visit my friend and we watched a bunch of videos on the new DOOM. This was the one we watched first: WATCH

We then watched some player videos including unlockable Classic DOOM levels feature the old levels with the only change being new models replacing the sprites. This is DOOM. This is the shooter I've been waiting for since since the original Xbox closed up shop.

Hardcore shooting? Check. Varied enemy types? Check. No reloading? Check. Sprint forever? Check. A story mode that gives the finger to cinematic shooters? Check. Speed? Check. Dodgeable bullets? Check. Insane difficulty? Check. Key Cards? Check. Exploration? Check. Secrets? Check. Incredible level design? Check.

I haven't played it myself yet, but, well, watch the videos. This is probably going to be the GOTY.