First Person Shooters: The Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 09, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Future Perfect's single player campaign is excellent. There's just so much to do and it's really funny. Multiplayer is the same as always, so it's great, but the single player was such a great step up from the first two.

It's such a shame they went under.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still recall 2 being the highlight of the series for single-player. The missions were so varied and the levels were really unique and imaginative (the Western was my favorite). Future Perfect was definitely funnier, though. I still need to replay both games (as for the first, it was food for its time, but I doubt that it has aged well).

Spark Of Spirit

Did anybody really play the singleplayer much in 1? I mainly played multiplayer with bots or other people.

It's a shame they couldn't just release an anthology with all the levels and modes from the first three games in one package. I'm sure that would sell really well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Since people just didn't talk about TimeSplitters 1, I just assumed just about everything about it was mediocre and didn't think about it. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love the design of the first Halo so much. One of the reasons that The Flood were more tolerable in this game (minus The Library) than in any other Halo game was because of all of the AI vs. AI fighting going on between them, and the other enemy types, it makes it really interesting in some battles since you can spectate from a safe distance and take out whichever side comes out on top while they are in a weakened state, or you can cleverly sneak your way past battles while your enemies duke it out. I donut think that I've played another FPS with enemy design as interesting as that, including th game's own sequels.

gunswordfist

my dream fps would be a game with levels like halo ce's but no weapon limit and more enemy types. or a doom-like with as much action as doom 2, jumping and crosshair control. basically, duke with more violence.

Spark Of Spirit

Mine would be one with labyrinth design like DOOM II, but not in one Metroidvania-style world, I'd still want in in levels.

Weapons like DOOM, Perfect Dark, and Halo would be ideal.

gunswordfist

oh yes, that's a perfect weapon combo. i hope doom 4 has that type of level design.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

foggle, was the game you posted a video for years ago along with eye and hard reset, project 2027?

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 27, 2014, 11:13:26 PM
foggle, was the game you posted a video for years ago along with eye and hard reset, project 2027?
Hm... might have been. It was probably either that or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, since one is a mod for the first game, and both serve as prequels taking place in the same year.

gunswordfist

i know it wasn't hr. that game is instantly recognizable (pika-pikachu!). it had to be 2027 then. i remember you posting a gameplay video with someone jumping and shooting with a rifle and firing grenades.

Foggle

That doesn't really sound like 2027 to me then, since that game is kind of slow-paced and plays/looks exactly like the original Deus Ex. Maybe it was Prey 2? That was a cyberpunk game with a similar play style announced around the same time period.

gunswordfist

haha...sorry. definitely not prey 2. i just have to find that video again.

gunswordfist

i really have been liking duke nukem 3d's humanoid gun toting enemies (assault troopers/captains and the pigs) more than doom's. the assault troopers teleporting and jetpacking make them interesting. i haven't remet the lizard troopers yet so we'll see about that.