Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: Foggle on February 10, 2015, 10:59:58 AMhttp://www.playtonicgames.com/

AHHHHHHHHH I'M SO EXCITED :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

The website could use a bit of punching up; it looks a bit 90s-ish.

This is still great news, though!

Daxdiv

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I thought I'd point out some things I got from the recent reveals.

Some telling comments from PlayTonic's interview about current Rare:

QuoteImagine there's an alternative timeline where Rare became independent instead of being bought by Microsoft. What would that company be like? What would it have gone on to become? That's our ambition.

QuoteFor me, the appeal is that I'll be able to create characters for a game myself again, creating a whole chain of animation, whereas at Rare now, you're just a small cog... you have to filter through three or four different people before something is approved.

It also seems fairly obvious what Project Ukelele is going to be.

QuoteWithout giving the game away, I think it's pretty obvious what kind of game we're making from the history of the team. We consider it a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. We want to make a game where you control a fun character, learn new skills, add some new twists to the genre, and also listen to Grant's tunes!

Also, who the team consists of:

QuotePlaytonic is made up of so much famous Rare talent that it makes you genuinely wonder how much of the "old" Rare is still left at the company's Twycross HQ. [Gavin] Price was a designer on Viva PiƱata, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini, while [Chris] Sutherland was lead programmer on Donkey Kong County and the Banjo-Kazooie games. Steve Mayles created Banjo and his friends, and is the brother of Gregg Mayles, one of the longest-serving Rare employees. These three core members are joined by the likes of Steve Hurst (Banjo-Kazooie, GoldenEye 007), Mark Stevenson (Kameo art lead) and Jens Restemeier (Perfect Dark Zero software engineer). To cap it all off, former Rare musician Grant Kirkhope has stated that he will be helping the studio out with audio, presumably on a freelance basis.

The current plan is to expand the team to around 15 people in order to create a title which should appeal to fans of Rare's '90s output.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

They should get David Wise in there. Grant Kirkhope is good but I was never as big on his tunes.

gunswordfist

get me a time machine. i don't feel like waiting for this game to come out!

Spark Of Spirit

Grant Kirkhope's BK soundtrack is excellent. To be honest, for a BK spiritual successor he would be needed to complete the transition.

If they want to hire David Wise or Robin Beanland (is he freelance now?) or the other ex-Rare sound dudes for future projects, I'd be all for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Some concept art was put out there:

Still haven't revealed the main characters yet, but it looks very Rare.

Foggle

Playtonic's game has three composers.

Obviously, one of them is Grant Kirkhope.

Another is Steve Burke.

The third is David Wise. Yes, really. :joy: :joy: :joy:

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

Someday, they are going to be bought by Nintendo. Callin' it now.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2015, 11:34:53 AM
Playtonic's game has three composers.
Cool. Who are they?

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2015, 11:34:53 AMObviously, one of them is Grant Kirkhope.
Of course.

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2015, 11:34:53 AMAnother is Steve Burke.
Can't complain!

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2015, 11:34:53 AMThe third is David Wise. Yes, really. :joy: :joy: :joy:

talonmalon333

I do want to see them do a 2D platformer. They made some nice 3D platformers but they weren't as good.

Also, we should separate Rareware (AKA the Nintendo era) from Rare (AKA the Microsoft era), and pair Rareware up with Playtonic in discussion.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 16, 2015, 01:24:21 PM
That was my reaction too. :lol: This soundtrack is going to be wonderful!

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 16, 2015, 02:21:51 PM
I do want to see them do a 2D platformer. They made some nice 3D platformers but they weren't as good.
Conker's Bad Fur Day hasn't aged well and DK64 is bloated to the point of tedium, but the Banjo games are just as good as the Donkey Kong Country trilogy IMO. And while I love 2D platformers, we don't really get many 3D ones these days, with approximately 0 of them being collectathons - so I'm very happy with their first project.