what the fuck

Started by Foggle, January 13, 2011, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

At least music has good indie music to balance it out. What does anime have?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Desensitized on January 16, 2011, 08:41:26 PM
At least music has good indie music to balance it out. What does anime have?
noitaminA, whatever Shinkai's doing, and that's it really.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd say One Piece, but seeing how Toei is still a bunch of cheap bastards and kind of made such an important death scene far inferior in presentation than what it should have been, especially compared to what it was in the manga, I'll have to rule that out as well.

Basically manga is the only thing that's not totally down the drain as far as Japan goes, but even that stuff is sinking really fast.

Foggle

Japan's live action movies and video games are just fine, thank you very much. I'm sure their novels are good, too, not that I've read any of 'em.

Manga will never sink as long as Excel Saga continues to run and Urasawa continues to publish.

Spark Of Spirit

Considering No More Heroes bombed in Japan and that K-On game was a top seller pretty much proves the audience their is just as stupid as the anime one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 16, 2011, 11:27:46 PM
Japan's live action movies and video games are just fine, thank you very much. I'm sure their novels are good, too, not that I've read any of 'em.

Well, even though I didn't mention it, I was actually thinking of Japan's fandoms more in mind than the actual works, granted that most anime do suck even without their terrible fans. But Desensitized already brought up the point about how most video game fans in Japan suck as well.

QuoteManga will never sink as long as Excel Saga continues to run and Urasawa continues to publish.

These things will always be quality, but still, manga is sinking in some areas. For example, it may come as a shock to you, but the shonen genre wasn't the dry and bland, mostly idiotic genre that it is today. There were a lot of quality works that stood on their own merits with a lot more going for them than long as fuck battles and characters with the personality of cardboard. But now the genre is full of....Bleach and Inu-Yasha and their various clones (yeah, its pretty sad when a ton of shonen themselves are just trying to mimic the big dogs of the current state of the genre, and when those so-called big dogs consist of stuff like Bleach in the first place).

A lot of seinen works that I try to read just try to be too edgy and seem to try and just want to be dark for the sake of being dark. A lot of times they can be even worse than most shonen series, which is the case with the current state of Gantz, which just tries to look like its telling a captivating story by adding in lots of story elements that were just pulled out of the author's ass and ultimately lead to nothing.

I should actually probably try reading more shojo, based on how bland the shit I'm reading now is.

Avaitor

I hear Nana's pretty good.

Tell me if you like it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I do, and it is.

It's strange that the Shonen in Japan was kind of hit and miss. There's this manga in Shonen Jump about a Zoo that's pretty good (though it does pretty badly, unfortunately) and the basketball manga Koroko No Basket is actually a pretty good sports manga despite most (including fan favorite Prince Of Tennis) being pretty bad.

It's the battle manga that's stale as hell. You have One Piece, then you have everything else.

Foggle

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is still running, isn't it? A badass and hilarious shounen if ever there was one.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In terms of anime, let's not forget that Level E is an adaptation of an age-old Shonen Jump manga, that is actually completely unique having almost nothing to do with battles of any sort (leave it to Togashi to defy the norm). It doesn't have one single ongoing coherent story, but is more of a cluster of really good and well-executed ideas, so its worth checking out based on just that. One portion of the story is somewhat akin to Inception what with dreams and the subconscious and whatnot.

Angus

Quote from: Avaitor on January 16, 2011, 11:39:58 PM
I hear Nana's pretty good.

Tell me if you like it.

Nana's really good. I love that Kelly Sheridan's voicing Nana K., such a perfect role for the former voice of Barbie for so many years. Even the live-action movie with Mika Nakashima is quite faithful to the manga storyline.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

I can only see the first row of that animage 100 list. Oops, now I can see it after reloading.
I'm so far behind on anime watching; hardly recognize the characters. Maybe I should count the ones I recognize and do a percent.

Starting from the top, the ones I recognize are Luffy, Conan, Konata, white-haired dude in Bleach, Haruhi, uh....  ack that's it? 5%?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npXAml2MXpc

Japan fuckin' knows, man. They KNOW.

Now to start watching Kaiji.

Foggle