Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

The name alone reeks of Tim & Eric-style awfulness.

I just Googled it and... what the fuck? These are easily some of the most grotesque character designs I've ever seen; possibly even worse than Problem Solverz. HURR ONE OF THEM IS MADE OUT OF BUTTS ISN'T THAT FUNNY GUYS

gunswordfist

Dammit, let's go back to talking about what would make Toonami awesome again.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Actually, watching DBZ the other night, I was reminded once again how much I love the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack. I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority here (I know Spark doesn't like it, anyway), and it is a replacement score, so weeaboos be damned, but some of those tracks just sound great to me. I'm still not sure if what it is, if that's just the nostalgia talking or what, but I'm not going to argue.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 02, 2012, 08:00:30 PM
Dammit, let's go back to talking about what would make Toonami awesome again.
For starters, try to get a good relationship with FUNi going, since it has the most licenses nowadays. I mean, shit like Darker Than Black, Soul Eater, and D. Gray-Man might do well for kids watching the block.

And yeah, I have a soft spot for Faulconer. The Perfect Cell theme is one of my favourites.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:08:41 PM
Actually, watching DBZ the other night, I was reminded once again how much I love the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack. I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority here (I know Spark doesn't like it, anyway), and it is a replacement score, so weeaboos be damned, but some of those tracks just sound great to me. I'm still not sure if what it is, if that's just the nostalgia talking or what, but I'm not going to argue.
Fuck Spark, ensatsuken and Desen. The Faulconer soundtrack is the clear best. Kai's is ok...up until the Cell saga. It's fitting for the older episodes because it gives that old school but after the animation improvement in later episodes, it feels so out of place. I'm not sure why people prefer the original besides the fact that it "came first". It's a space kungfu cosmic shounen comedy and Bruce's music fits that and not whatever snooty title they have for whatever makes them think the original fits better.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I have never said anything bad about the DBZ dub... like ever. I actually like it.

... I still can't believe AS lost Adam Reed and Loren Bouchard and now the pair are having success elsewhere. Talk about cultivating talent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 08:30:43 PM
I have never said anything bad about the DBZ dub... like ever. I actually like it.

Sorry, I thought you mentioned before that you didn't care for the Faulconer score (which is okay with me even if you did anyway, as I don't take this show as stone-cold seriously as some people do).

Didn't mean to drag you into this like that.

Rynnec

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 02, 2012, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:08:41 PM
Fuck Spark, ensatsuken and Desen. The Faulconer soundtrack is the clear best. Kai's is ok...up until the Cell saga. It's fitting for the older episodes because it gives that old school but after the animation improvement in later episodes, it feels so out of place. I'm not sure why people prefer the original besides the fact that it "came first". It's a space kungfu cosmic shounen comedy and Bruce's music fits that and not whatever snooty title they have for whatever makes them think the original fits better.

I prefer the Faulconer music too. I can respect the Kikuichi's original score, and I'm fond of Kai's as well (despite the plagarism), but when it comes to something as action-heavy as DBZ, I prefer more rockier music, and Faulconer and co. delivers that.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:37:28 PM

Sorry, I thought you mentioned before that you didn't care for the Faulconer score (which is okay with me even if you did anyway, as I don't take this show as stone-cold seriously as some people do).

It's cool, but I do really like his score. It's a good alternative to the original.

I actually like the original DB's music more than DBZ's since I think that style of music tends to suit the original series more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:37:28 PM

It's cool, but I do really like his score. It's a good alternative to the original.

I actually like the original DB's music more than DBZ's since I think that style of music tends to suit the original series more.

It really does.

IMO Kikuichi's score fits perfectly into what Dragon Ball offers; a light-hearted shonen action series. DBZ, on the other hand, is a lot more serious, the villains a lot more deadly, and everything is amplified x1000. The music should reflect that, and Faulconer's score does. Kikuichi's is pretty much the same stuff he did for Dragon Ball, and most of it just feels out of place. You've got a lot of tense moments with no music or sound whatsoever, or serious moments with light-hearted tracks, and after watching the show with both scores, Faulconer's just fits so much better to me.

Avaitor

I remember someone on tz said that the original score for DBZ kind of sounded more like Hanna-Barbera music than anything and that Faulconer's just fits it better. I pretty much agree with him.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, this doesn't really get me as psyched for DBZ as this.

And for the hell of it.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 08:58:17 PM
Damn, Faulconer's score is jammin!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on April 02, 2012, 08:56:06 PM
I remember someone on tz said that the original score for DBZ kind of sounded more like Hanna-Barbera music than anything and that Faulconer's just fits it better. I pretty much agree with him.

Haha, wow.

I can just imagine Jacob Paschal's reaction if he had seen that. It'd probably be nothing short of a full blown aneurysm.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 08:58:17 PM

Ah, one of my favorites. A perfect shortened version to the excellent opening theme.