Video Game Music

Started by talonmalon333, December 31, 2010, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Underrated Mega Man themes.

Seriously, why did the Game Boy games have better music than 4, 5, or 6?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man 9 has the best music of the past generation. Let me share my top 8 tunes from it:

Tornado Man (The reveal trailer featured this for a reason)
Hornet Man (My personal favorite Mega Man track of all time)
Wily Stage 1 (Storm that fortress!)
Concrete Man (Pure Mega Man 2)
Wily Stage 3 (Reminds me of Mega Man 3)
Jewel Man (Like a Mega Man 4 theme if they were good)
Splash Woman (Almost western-tinged)
Wily Stage 2 (How did they make so many good castle themes?)

Yes, I've been on a bit of a classic Mega Man kick recently.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 24, 2013, 01:46:50 AM
So, recently I've become really addicted to Rock Howard's theme from Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Something about this theme gets me so damn pumped and almost makes me want to go out into the street and start a fight with someone myself....and then I realize I'm me and that I'd get my ass-kicked and probably arrested if I did something like that. :sweat:

Oh, and there's another theme that I happened to come across and that I can't keep out of my head. Now, I know we all dislike Asura's Wrath, and personally I don't even think I'd say it qualifies as being a game as much as it is an interactive movie. But I heard the theme titled Wind Fang, and I can't lie....its like every great spaghetti western theme rolled into one, and I fucking LOVE that kind of music. Sure, I may not care for the game, but this music is fucking amazing.
I dusted off my old youtube account just to like and favorite that. I play my Garou demo pretty much just for that, the character select music and to hear the announcer say Rock Howard vs Rock Howard.

When are we going to continue that old Video Game Music Contest? I'd have so much more music to add if we started over.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, That brings back memories. We never finished it because I was so busy and kept procrastinating on tallying up the results. I'd be up for doing it again, but it'd probably work better if someone else took responsibility for opening and closing each round, otherwise some rounds would take forever to be completed (mostly because I'd probably completely forget about them :sweat: ).

As for GMOW, I also like Kim Jae-Hoon's theme quite a bit, but Rock Howard probably has my favorite fighting game character theme ever. As for the game itself, I still effectively suck at it, though now I can put together some pretty cool combos with Gato, which is the character that I'm best with in that game,  right now.

Goldstar

I've always liked Kin Jae Hoon's theme from Garou: Mark of the Wolves as well, although my brother Silver prefers the theme of Kim Dong Hwan. That's funny.

On the subject of Mario games, one stage level theme that I really like is this.

And this is still one of the best end boss battle themes of all time!

And my gawd, this is just plain beautiful.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Rynnec

Quote from: Goldstar on April 11, 2013, 08:10:36 PM

The next Smash Bros. has to have that song in it in some form. It just has to.

Goldstar

One reason (one of several, actually) why I'm sorry that there was never a revival of Konami's SunsetRiders is that we've never had a remix of this gem.

Actually, there are so many good tunes in SunsetRiders that it's difficult to choose. Here are some more of my favorites:

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Bonus Stage
Chief Scalpem
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

It was a pretty goofy game series, but SNK's World Heroes had some pretty kickin' tunes. WH2 and World Heroes Perfect in particular. Give a listen to these.

WH2:

Hanzou

Captain Kidd

Brocken

Rasputin

Johnny Maximum

World Heroes Perfect:

Great War Period

Halo in Asia

Industrial Revolution Period

Big City (Present Day)

Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Goldstar on April 11, 2013, 08:10:36 PM

I think I may have even posted this before myself, but yes, I agree with you 1,000% about this. The theme is just so intense and the boss battle itself is easily the most epic boss fight that I have played in any game in the Mario franchise. And, of course, anyone who knows me knows that Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time in general. The game does recycle a lot of themes, but it helps that virtually all of its music is great and memorable. Its easily one of my favorite Mario game soundtracks.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Goldstar on April 11, 2013, 08:28:47 PM
One reason (one of several, actually) why I'm sorry that there was never a revival of Konami's SunsetRiders is that we've never had a remix of this gem.

Actually, there are so many good tunes in SunsetRiders that it's difficult to choose. Here are some more of my favorites:

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Bonus Stage
Chief Scalpem
One of Konami's best games fullstop. It's their best arcade game, for sure. The SNES music was pretty close to the arcade

I would totally love a sequel or a re-release of it.

Foggle

THIS MY THIS MY CITY
ALL MY GANGSTAS MAYNE ARE YA WIT ME

God, I am still bumping this soundtrack. Not to mention MadWorld's.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 11, 2013, 03:50:47 PM
Heh, That brings back memories. We never finished it because I was so busy and kept procrastinating on tallying up the results. I'd be up for doing it again, but it'd probably work better if someone else took responsibility for opening and closing each round, otherwise some rounds would take forever to be completed (mostly because I'd probably completely forget about them :sweat: ).

As for GMOW, I also like Kim Jae-Hoon's theme quite a bit, but Rock Howard probably has my favorite fighting game character theme ever. As for the game itself, I still effectively suck at it, though now I can put together some pretty cool combos with Gato, which is the character that I'm best with in that game,  right now.
Let's force...erm ask Spark to open and close the rounds.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

If I may ask, GSF, where exactly are you when people make these posts that you end up responding to much later on? It's not like you don't post here nearly every day, so how does it take you so long to recognize these points and come up with a response to them? :P