Video Game Music

Started by talonmalon333, December 31, 2010, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

More 3rd Strike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17-rtRdr7yk I just keep on falling in love with different themes from the game.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8iTlaBUZ0

If you don't have this bookmarked somewhere by now we can't be bros anymore.

gunswordfist

Moving this to the right thread, lol

gunswordfist

I decided to look up Power Glove Music after listening to Reprise yesterday and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Nqe7jPX6DQY

Spark Of Spirit

Yowza

I don't think I've enjoyed Mario Kart music that much since Double Dash.

That sax is too good.

EDIT: Also, one of the best remixes in the series, I think.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

By the way, that just reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.

Why do a lot of people dislike Double Dash and call it the worst Kart game?

Spark Of Spirit

Talon, since you like SMG music so much, I wanted to know what you thought of this track in the new MK game. Personally, it's one of my favorites.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 04, 2014, 09:45:46 PM
By the way, that just reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.

Why do a lot of people dislike Double Dash and call it the worst Kart game?
The most common complaints are:

-The game is slow.
I don't see it, the game is about as fast as any MK game to me. It might be the heavier weight of the karts that throw people off, but that makes sense to me. The game should feel heavier because you're carrying more weight AND more ammo.

-The tracks are boring.
Again, I don't see it. They're not as gimmicky as a lot of the Wii tracks, but they are far better designed than most of the MK64 tracks and are all very different in design from each other. I mean, no MK game has tracks as diverse as Luigi Circuit, Baby Park, DK Mountain, and Wario Colosseum in the same game outside of retro tracks.

-The controls are bad.
Common generic complaint for a game. I had no problem with the controls at all, it controls like most every other MK game.

-The two man kart gimmick is dumb.
Fair enough, but it's really the only gimmick until the gravity one to seriously impact the game and make Mario Kart really different from all the other kart clones out there. Plus, it adds much strategy to the game and even adds two player to one kart mode which is one of my favorite co-op experiences.

-It's not as "magical" as Mario Kart 64.
I see this complaint with every post-MK64 game in the series and I don't get it. MK64 was not that good. It was slow (unlike DD, it has framerate issues), the tracks were fairly unimaginative, and it wasn't even the best kart game of its generation. I think people just wanted Mario Kart 64 with new tracks and hated that Double Dash was entirely new.

Years later and it's still my favorite Mario Kart game to this day. I will never get the hate. I still hope for a sequel.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a HD re-release like they did with Wind Waker that adds new characters and 16 retro tracks to the game. That would be more than enough for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM
Talon, since you like SMG music so much, I wanted to know what you thought of this track in the new MK game. Personally, it's one of my favorites.

Very nice. It's much better than the Rainbow Road theme from Mario Kart Wii, which was apparently somewhat inspired by Galaxy but ended up being kind of average, not to mention it didn't utilize the classic Rainbow Road melody.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM-The game is slow.
I don't see it, the game is about as fast as any MK game to me. It might be the heavier weight of the karts that throw people off, but that makes sense to me. The game should feel heavier because you're carrying more weight AND more ammo.

The slowest is Mario Kart 64 because of how needlessly long and wide those courses are.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM-The tracks are boring.
Again, I don't see it. They're not as gimmicky as a lot of the Wii tracks, but they are far better designed than most of the MK64 tracks and are all very different in design from each other. I mean, no MK game has tracks as diverse as Luigi Circuit, Baby Park, DK Mountain, and Wario Colosseum in the same game outside of retro tracks.

I don't think they are necessarily as good as, say, Super Mario Kart's tracks, but they are still fine for the most part. I love Double Dash's Rainbow Road.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM-The controls are bad.
Common generic complaint for a game. I had no problem with the controls at all, it controls like most every other MK game.

Yeah, people will apply that complaint to any game they dislike.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM-The two man kart gimmick is dumb.
Fair enough, but it's really the only gimmick until the gravity one to seriously impact the game and make Mario Kart really different from all the other kart clones out there. Plus, it adds much strategy to the game and even adds two player to one kart mode which is one of my favorite co-op experiences.

I thought it was cool and was disappointed that it didn't become a permanent feature in the series.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2014, 10:00:36 PM-It's not as "magical" as Mario Kart 64.
I see this complaint with every post-MK64 game in the series and I don't get it. MK64 was not that good. It was slow (unlike DD, it has framerate issues), the tracks were fairly unimaginative, and it wasn't even the best kart game of its generation. I think people just wanted Mario Kart 64 with new tracks and hated that Double Dash was entirely new.

Some people... :??:

Rynnec

Double Dash just never felt right to me. I dunno why, but I just never could get into it.

talonmalon333

That's similar to how I felt with Mario Kart 64. I had already loved Super Mario Kart at the time, but when I played 64 it just never fully clicked for me. And when I was young, I didn't really know why, but now I do.

Honestly, Super Mario Kart is still arguably the best in the series.

gunswordfist

I remember Mario Kart 64's tracks boring me. I ended up going like, "Is that it?". I had all the chances in the world to really like it since we used to play it a lot but it never really got beyond just being a time passer for me. I have always preferred Crash Team Racing. Doctor N. Gin's stage is still my favorite kart or racing level period. Hell, CTR is still my favorite kart game and only 2nd to Burnout Revenge when it comes to racing games.

LumRanmaYasha

The more I listen to the Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle OST, the more I regret not discovering it before the VGM tournament nominations thread closed. Pantyhose Taro and Ryoga's themes are especially killer.

talonmalon333

We don't have a video game music remix thread (that might be a good thread idea), I'm going to post this here. It's a remix of Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNfX1oU2XA

It's easily one of the best game remixes I know.