Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Beat DKL2. Didn't 102% that one. It's a fairly substandard platformer. Every level is the same as a level from DKC2 except not as good.

Started DKC3 and DKL3.

DKC3 is still pretty good, even if I'm not crazy about Kiddy or the soundtrack. So far, I'm rather impressed with DKL3. It has the same stage tropes from DKC3, but the stages themselves are all brand new. And those levels are pretty clever. If it keeps up its current pace it will easily surpass the other two DKL games to be the best one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

So, should I get DKL 1 & 3 and ignore the second one, then?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 06, 2015, 07:54:53 PM
So, should I get DKL 1 & 3 and ignore the second one, then?
That's what I'd do. There just isn't any reason to recommend DKL2 anymore. Especially nowadays when DKC2 GBA is a better portable option for that game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I always felt like DKC3 is the weakest of the trilogy because Kiddy is an off-putting character and the atmosphere, while charming in its own way, isn't as strong. Still didn't deserve to be brushed off so much back when it was first released. Though not like I'm entirely innocent. I played DKC and DKC2 throughout my childhood, and didn't give 3 a chance until 5-6 years ago.

Nel_Annette

Yeah, the main thing I remember about DKC3 is that the atmosphere is waaaay different than the first two. Not that that's a bad thing, but it threw me off. DKC feels appropriately jungle-y, with rainforests and ruins and etc. DKC2 feels like you're definitely in enemy territory for most of the game, with nearly every section of the map feeling very dangerous and unsafe. DKC3 feels like... feels like... it feels like you're at summer camp, with the red wood trees and cabins and lakes. Felt like a random direction.

Spark Of Spirit

Most people, including my friends and myself, gave it the brush off, too. Whether because it wasn't as good as DKC2 or because people were more focused on the N64, it just sort of fell off the radar. But it grew in respect later since Donkey Kong Country fans didn't have much else to play for years and Retro's games have just brought the spotlight back to the old games.

Hopefully it eventually reaches the status it deserves as an under-appreciated gem.

Spark Of Spirit

Stampede Sprint is the worst DKC level ever. Not only is that bad, but if you mess up the last bonus (which is really easy to do) you have to do the whole level over again because there's no checkpoint.

Ugh.

Anyway, going through the DKC games is quite the strange experience when thinking about playable characters. That being that DK is not the character that has been playable the most in the series. That character would be Diddy. Not counting ports like the GBA games, this is how it ranks out:

DK: 4 games (5 if you count DK64 as a DKC game)
Diddy: 6 games (7)
Dixie: 5 games
Kiddy: 2 games
Cranky: 1 game

As for NPCs, well that might also surprise you.

Cranky: 4 games (5 if you count DK64)
Funky: 5 games (6)
Candy: 1 game (2)
Wrinkly: 4 games (5)
Swanky: 2 games

Yeah, Funky appears more as an NPC than Cranky does in the series. Man, Rare did things strangely.

Spark Of Spirit

Okay, beat DKC3 with 103% (I know there's 105%, but I didn't put the code in so whatever) and my opinion stands. It's a great platformer.

It may have bit too many collectables (they're inconsequential for maximum enjoyment of the game, though) and some gimmicky levels that are more annoying than fun (Koindozer Klamber, Poisonous Pipeline, Stampede Sprint, and Rocket Rush are the worst levels in the game, bar none) but there is truly some excellent stuff in here (most of the levels are great if not excellent) that leads this to still be one of the best games in the series to me.

The music of the SNES version still doesn't really work for me. It's not catchy when it's trying to be and it doesn't convincingly set atmosphere when it wants to. Sorry, I'm still not a fan.

Animal buddies are as great as ever (Parry's pointlessness aside, he's only used in one easy level) with the questionable replacement of Rambi for Ellie. Ellie's water mechanic is fun to use, but the fear of rats is a really annoying quirk that makes a couple of levels more annoying when they shouldn't be. The bigger disappointment is that Rattly wasn't brought back from DKC2.

All in all, great platformer. The game gets more guff than it deserves.

As for DKL3, I beat that too. Of the 3 Land games it is clearly the best one and has some really good level designs in it. If you only want to play one DKL game, make it this one.

So now I just have a playthrough of Tropical Freeze to go and my replay of the series is complete. Can't wait for that!

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 10, 2015, 03:25:53 PM
The music of the SNES version still doesn't really work for me. It's not catchy when it's trying to be and it doesn't convincingly set atmosphere when it wants to. Sorry, I'm still not a fan.

Eh, I mean I get it; taste is subjective and all, but man.....you really don't like this track at all? Or this? Or this? Or THIS?!

I feel like there are still some gems here that people tend to overlook. It's not as good as 2, but I honestly like 3's soundtrack way more than 1.

Foggle

Goddamn, that first track gives me chills. So good.

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on March 13, 2015, 04:23:01 PM
Goddamn, that first track gives me chills. So good.

:thumbup:

One of my favorite tracks ever. Listen to it on a rainy day while driving through the woods (like I did the other day), it's perfect.

Spark Of Spirit

Treetop Tumble is alright. No problems with it. One of the better tracks in the game.

Water World is my least favorite underwater theme in the series. It's serviceable, but compared to Aquatic Ambiance, Lockjaw's Saga, or Amiss Abyss, it just doesn't stick with me. I don't hate it, but I don't care for it all that much.

Cavern Caprice is also okay. No problems with it.

Rocket Run. No, I honestly don't like very much. But that might be tainted by the fact that I hate that level very much.

The best track in DKC3 SNES is this one in my opinion. It's one of the few that stick with me.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 13, 2015, 04:40:16 PM
Rocket Run. No, I honestly don't like very much. But that might be tainted by the fact that I hate that level very much.

Hmm.....well, if you don't like that version of it, try this one on for size. A shame it was never used!

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 13, 2015, 04:40:16 PM
The best track in DKC3 SNES is this one in my opinion. It's one of the few that stick with me.

I actually forgot about that track, but yeah, that one's actually not one of my favorites for whatever reason. Still good though.

talonmalon333

I like the water and tree themes in DKC3 a lot. The snow and boss themes are also pretty cool.

Commode

Well my desire for DK 64 to never have a rerelease has been dashed, damn it.  Wanted that game to forever remain in obscurity, because it fucking sucks.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.