Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

On the plus side, more new people may buy it and realize that the people who were screaming about "underrated classic!" have questionable taste.

This also might add more chances for King K. Rool to be added to Smash.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I'm guessing they hammered out some deal with Rare to get the game, since I always thought that JetPac was one of the things that would make it a no go on the VC.

talonmalon333

Is it getting a port or a VC release?

Spark Of Spirit

VC release.

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 01, 2015, 06:50:51 PM
I'm guessing they hammered out some deal with Rare to get the game, since I always thought that JetPac was one of the things that would make it a no go on the VC.
If that was the case, I wish they would have went for Diddy Kong Racing instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I dunno, I hear there are rumors of Microsoft trying to do stuff with Banjo and Conker recently. Not sure how well having a competitors characters on it will make it viable. Shame really.

Kiddington

I failed to mention this in my earlier post about DKC3's soundtrack, to which I needed to correct. Again, another great piece. I just don't feel like Eveline Fischer gets enough credit on this one.

.....anyway 64 blows. It still confuses the hell out of me why they felt the need to make a new girl Kong, and just completely kick aside Dixie. Just an awful, awful game.

Foggle

64 isn't that bad. Cut it down to 2-3 characters and remove some of the mini-games and it'd be an above average collectathon IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

They wanted to make it DKC1 and new Kongs only. It was a dumb decision that they apparently went back on late in development, but it was too far along to really change anything.

It was a bit silly considering there weren't even any new Kongs in DKC3 other than Kiddy, and Dixie was (and is) a fan favorite, so no idea why they even considered it in the first place.

Foggle

That's weird given how Wrinkly Kong is in the game. Tiny is basically the exact same character as Dixie, so I don't know why they couldn't have just changed the color of her outfit and any instances of her name in the dialogue.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 10, 2015, 10:55:08 PM
That's weird given how Wrinkly Kong is in the game. Tiny is basically the exact same character as Dixie, so I don't know why they couldn't have just changed the color of her outfit and any instances of her name in the dialogue.
Wrinkly was added in late which is... why she's... sigh... the way she is in that game.

The thing is that Dixie doesn't shrink so just swapping her out wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Why they decided to not have her in the first place is a real mystery.

Kiddington

Speaking of new Kongs, here's something I've been wondering lately; have any of those three (Lanky, Tiny and Chunky) appeared in anything since this game? I know Lanky kinda resurfaced on the internet as a meme, but that doesn't exactly count.

I don't think any of them were even in that nasty barrel racing game for the Wii.....and THAT is exactly the kind of lasting impact 64 had. Maybe it's not "awful", but I definitely wouldn't ever play it again.

Spark Of Spirit

Tiny was in the Diddy Kong Racing DS remake (so was Dixie), but I don't think the others have been seen outside of the barrel blast games. They might have been in one of the sports games, though.

Kiddington

You know I still haven't played the DKR remake; I bought it years ago, but it's just been sitting on my shelf since. I know it has a track editor, and a lot of the old characters were dropped, but little else.

Is it any good, or is the original the preferred variation?

Foggle

Aren't the new Kongs from DK64 owned by Rare rather than Nintendo? Might explain why they don't appear in any of the newer games.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 10, 2015, 10:58:21 PM
The thing is that Dixie doesn't shrink so just swapping her out wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Why they decided to not have her in the first place is a real mystery.
True, but they could have just had Dixie drink a shrinking potion or something.

Quote from: Kiddington on April 10, 2015, 10:59:37 PM
I don't think any of them were even in that nasty barrel racing game for the Wii.....and THAT is exactly the kind of lasting impact 64 had. Maybe it's not "awful", but I definitely wouldn't ever play it again.
I didn't even know there was a barrel racing game... how horrible was it?

Honestly, I wouldn't really want to play DK64 again either, outside of the first couple worlds. I just don't think it's that bad.

Spark Of Spirit

Nintendo owns everything related to Donkey Kong. Those characters are owned by Nintendo.

I think there were three barrel blast games, but I never played any of them. Between the N64 and Wii I didn't play any new Donkey Kong games. As a fan, it was quite a shame.

Quote from: Kiddington on April 10, 2015, 11:04:09 PM
You know I still haven't played the DKR remake; I bought it years ago, but it's just been sitting on my shelf since. I know it has a track editor, and a lot of the old characters were dropped, but little else.

Is it any good, or is the original the preferred variation?
I never managed to get the remake but I heard the controls and sound suffered.

It's unfortunate, because an eshop version of the N64 game (with Banjo and Conker removed if need be) and updated graphics and sound would be great. Diddy Kong Racing was such a great game.