Kill la Kill

Started by Foggle, October 03, 2013, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
It's from 2ch, so who knows. I can't say I didn't expect something like that to happen, though. From day one I figured either Mako or even Ryuuko would die eventually.

If they play it off like more of the Mako abuse slapstick from the first two episodes, but it ends with her actually dying, that would simultaneously be the most brilliant and most horrifying anime moment of the year.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Rynnec

Here are some reactions to episode 3, they're spoiler free, but I'm gonna put'em in spoilers anyway:

Spoiler
sure you wanna go on?
absolutely positively sure?
okie dokie lokie then
Japanese impressions for KLK 3, no spoilers:
>This episode made me decide that I'm going to buy all the BDs.
>Ryuuko, Satsuki and Mako are all Goddesses.
>Kill la Kill 3 was the fucking best.
>I was a bit worried because the atmosphere in episodes 1 and 2 was a bit too comedic, but episode 3 was just awesome!
>They told us to please not give out spoilers but I can say this: it was fucking awesome! The coolest from beginning to ened! And episode 4 looks great, too!
>Super-cool! Ami Koshimizu's perfrmance was the best!
>I now love Ryuuko and Satuski-sama and Mako more than it's healthy.
>You mean this isn't the final episode?!
>It was like episode 15 of Gurren-Lagann... except it was 3.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Foggle

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sounds amazing. Also, apparently the Mako thing was a mistranslation of someone comparing episode 3 to episode 3 of Madoka, so maybe she won't die after all?
[close]
[close]
[close]

Apparently the first story arc ends in episode 3 and the 4th episode, which takes the series to "new and better heights," is going to be storyboarded by Imaishi himself. Color me FUCKING HYPED.

Foggle

Quote from: http://sushiobunny.tumblr.com/post/63848892776/as-you-could-probably-tell-from-the-previewepisode 3 of Kill la Kill is a super-important, super-animated super-episode. It got screened in Japan a few hours ago in UfotableCinema and thankfully CEO Otsuka asked people people were asked to please don't spoil it. They posted their impressions (without spoiling, of course) and they're basically "it's a final episode at the start of a new show, amazing", "greatest final battle", "Yoshinari got top KA credit" and "the show got compeltely turned in its head, I don't know what to expect any more!" and so; it's also the first properly serious episode of the show.

Based Trigger. :swoon:

LumRanmaYasha

This was posted in the Kill la Kill thread on Toonzone, and I figured I might as well share it here.

It's a much cooler opening with that song, imo.  :D

Foggle

I'm not so big on the TTGL OP either, but that does indeed make it better. :) I tried syncing the KLK intro to Shinkai from the Redline OST and it fits pretty perfectly. Maybe I should upload that to our YouTube channel...

Oh yeah, there's also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpFn8DL1-DM

Lord Il

Quote from: Rynnec on October 06, 2013, 09:33:04 PMI understand that a lot of people are tired of female characters with skimpy outfits, but to me, ignoring the good qualities of characters like Ryuko and Yoko is even more of a problem as it creates a perception that a female has to be judged by the outfit she wears and whatnot, which is just insulting.

As far as the satire goes; there are those that will argue that because Ryuko still wears a skimpy outfit, it still presents some sort of problem, which completely misses the point of satire.
Agreed. I've read comments at other places about this which would leave you scratching your head 'til it bleeds.

Ryuko's tomboyish personality is what defines what her character is and gets even higher marks from me when it contrasts so sharply with the look of the outfit she so reluctantly has to wear. I don't believe it to be blatant fanservice (many may argue that) but it's rather for comedic appeal only - the point that many tend to be letting fly over their heads.

Also, the not-rape stuff is exactly only what it is and nothing more. (Loved the article concerning such controversial aspects, Foggle! I think a lot more people out there need to read it before being too judgemental.)

-----------

Spoiler for Dat Transformation..! O_o

[close]

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on October 14, 2013, 01:53:15 PM
Agreed. I've read comments at other places about this which would leave you scratching your head 'til it bleeds.
Oh, believe me, I've read them. That's why I wrote the article. :lol:

QuoteRyuko's tomboyish personality is what defines what her character is and gets even higher marks from me when it contrasts so sharply with the look of the outfit she so reluctantly has to wear. I don't believe it to be blatant fanservice (many may argue that) but it's rather for comedic appeal only - the point that many tend to be letting fly over their heads.
I wouldn't say there's no fanservice derived from her outfit - the second episode definitely has at least one legit cheesecake shot - but yeah, it's mostly just used for comedy, parodying stuff that would use it purely for fanservice. And honestly, her battle suit has grown on me. I don't find it sexually appealing, but I honestly think it looks kind of cool. Something to do with the color scheme I guess. The red and black looks really good.

QuoteAlso, the not-rape stuff is exactly only what it is and nothing more. (Loved the article concerning such controversial aspects, Foggle! I think a lot more people out there need to read it before being too judgemental.)
I mean, I get that people would be disgusted or offended by those jokes. But they really are not-rape jokes. No one is raping the character. No one is attempting to rape the character. No one is threatening to rape the character. The character is not in danger of being raped. It's just really low-brow sexual humor derived from misunderstandings.

Thanks so much, btw! :joy:

Spoiler for Dat Transformation..! O_o

[close]
I laughed so hard when that happened. :il_hahaha:

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on October 14, 2013, 02:10:40 PM
And honestly, her battle suit has grown on me. I don't find it sexually appealing, but I honestly think it looks kind of cool. Something to do with the color scheme I guess. The red and black looks really good.
I'd be lying if I said it didn't make her look like a badass.  8)

And speaking of color schemes, I only just realized the correlation of color which can be made that separates antagonist from protagonist: white and black respectively. At least that's how it's seemed to me so far.
Edit: Just a few clothes color comparisons:

I'm still not entirely sure if my theory is correct.

As for episode 3... Bring it! I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

Foggle

There definitely seems to be a black vs. white motif going on in this show. Racism!!

Ryuuko is such a cool character. Which gets me thinking... there really aren't that many interesting female protagonists in anime. I'm struggling to think of more than five who I'd consider interesting or well-written.

Surprisingly, KLK is doing extremely well in Japan. It's the second most popular current anime on Pixiv (behind only Kuroko no Basket), and while the BDs are not available for pre-order yet, expectations run very high. I honestly thought it would do terrible over there like LWA and PSG did, but this gives me serious hope for Trigger's future!

LumRanmaYasha

It's nice to know it's doing well in it's home country! That's great news, because if Trigger keeps up the excellent work they've been doing with this show through it's entire run, they can hopefully produce more excellent shows like it in the future!  :shakeshakeshake:

Kiddington

I hate myself for not having watched this sooner.

Ryuko <3

Dr. Insomniac

How could you misspell Satsuki that badly?

Foggle

Episode 3 is out, and it's another classic! http://www.daisuki.net/movies/watch/7Gc/AHc

Also, my article took a LOT longer to write than it should have. Please check it out as well. http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=1945

Rynnec

Excellent article, Foggle. :thumbup:

I completely agree with you on the sexism thing. So many people either miss the point completely, or dismiss it for inane reasons. How can a message like "don't be ashamed of your body" be bad? Just because Ryuko and Satsuki are attractive does not undermine the message. Ryuko and Satsuki have far more characterization than you're usual haremshit or pantyfighter character, hell, I'd even go as far to say they're better characterized than most non-sexualized characters as well. If the only thing people can see in characters like Ryuko and Satsuki are how fanservicey and/or sexist they are, then maybe the problem is on them and not the show.