Kill la Kill

Started by Foggle, October 03, 2013, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't quite think that their characterization is anything THAT spectacular, but I do agree that they have better characterization than all of the characters in haremshit and shounenshit shows, whether they are sexualized or not.

Honestly, sexualization is so damn common in anime that I'm surprised that people are even complaining about it. I mean, have none of them ever watched another anime? There are MUCH worse examples of sexism in anime, so I don't see why anyone woul target this series in particular. I mean, hell, it's been around for so long in this medium that even fucking Dragon Ball was doing it back in the day. Additionally, almost all currently running shounen series have this as well, with one of the only exceptions being Togashi, since he's never resorted to that style of humor before (most likely because he knows that his artwork is ass, but he also knows that it's pretty stupid the way that most shounen series use it, as well).

In the case of this series, it seems to be parodying the sexualization of other anime, and mostly uses these scenes for humorous effect. Compare that to most modern shounen or harem series which use this shit even in moments that you're supposed to take seriously, and it's a wonder why people don't complain about that shit more often.

So, yeah, anime fans are the 2nd biggest hypocrites ever (the #1 spot is reserved for video game journalists).

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 19, 2013, 06:19:37 PM

In the case of this series, it seems to be parodying the sexualization of other anime, and mostly uses these scenes for humorous effect. Compare that to most modern shounen or harem series which use this shit even in moments that you're supposed to take seriously, and it's a wonder why people don't complain about that shit more often.

Possibly the best (worst?) example:
Spoiler
[close]

...could you believe there were people who actually liked that scene and chapter? In particular, Zoombie said he teared up reading it... :whuh:

But yeah, it's clear Kill la Kill is parodying how fanservice is used in a lot of harm and shounen anime. I'm honestly surprised that people are still complaining about this after episode 3 pretty much spelled out the satirical nature of it all. There are far more tasteless fanservice scenes/moments out there in other anime like Sword Art Online and Fairy Tail that haven't got as much flak from people as Kill la Kill's seems to be getting.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on October 19, 2013, 05:35:14 PM
Excellent article, Foggle. :thumbup:

I completely agree with you on the sexism thing. So many people either miss the point completely, or dismiss it for inane reasons. How can a message like "don't be ashamed of your body" be bad? Just because Ryuko and Satsuki are attractive does not undermine the message. Ryuko and Satsuki have far more characterization than you're usual haremshit or pantyfighter character, hell, I'd even go as far to say they're better characterized than most non-sexualized characters as well. If the only thing people can see in characters like Ryuko and Satsuki are how fanservicey and/or sexist they are, then maybe the problem is on them and not the show.
Thanks. :)

A lot of the complaining seems to come from hardcore Tumblrers (many of whom can't tell the difference between objectification and sexualization) and haremshit diehards (who probably hate any female character that isn't objectified). It's the same people who completely missed the point of Fujiko Mine and think that Panty & Stocking is an ecchi, or were offended by how both shows enjoyed screwing with otaku.

I don't quite think that their characterization is anything THAT spectacular, but I do agree that they have better characterization than all of the characters in haremshit and shounenshit shows, whether they are sexualized or not.
Their characterization is by no means on the level of an HBO show or something, but compared to most other anime - especially action series - it's exceptional IMO.

Honestly, sexualization is so damn common in anime that I'm surprised that people are even complaining about it. I mean, have none of them ever watched another anime? There are MUCH worse examples of sexism in anime, so I don't see why anyone woul target this series in particular. I mean, hell, it's been around for so long in this medium that even fucking Dragon Ball was doing it back in the day. Additionally, almost all currently running shounen series have this as well, with one of the only exceptions being Togashi, since he's never resorted to that style of humor before (most likely because he knows that his artwork is ass, but he also knows that it's pretty stupid the way that most shounen series use it, as well).

So, yeah, anime fans are the 2nd biggest hypocrites ever (the #1 spot is reserved for video game journalists).
While I agree that it's supposed to be humorous, it's worth noting that usually the sexualized imagery in Kill la Kill only happens in the most serious scenes. Which I guess adds to its satirical value. And, of course, this is an Imaishi show. His works always features tons of sexual imagery - not to titillate, but because it adds to the insanity.

Your last statement may be the truest thing anyone's ever said. ;)

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 19, 2013, 06:41:27 PM
I'm honestly surprised that people are still complaining about this after episode 3 pretty much spelled out the satirical nature of it all. There are far more tasteless fanservice scenes/moments out there in other anime like Sword Art Online and Fairy Tail that haven't got as much flak from people as Kill la Kill's seems to be getting.
That's what really gets me about this. After watching it, I honestly thought episode 3 would shut the naysayers up with its positive message and strong characterization, but it seems to only have added more fuel to the fire.

Outside of one shot in episode 2 (which you'll notice actively parodies itself if you avoid looking directly at it), the fanservice in Kill la Kill can't even be considered tasteless. It's just window dressing, not the focus. Sword Art Online has less fanservice, but it's far worse because there are no real female characters in that show. They're just waifubait cardboard cutouts for Kawahara and his fans to bleach their underwear over.

Foggle

Rynnec

Great article as always, man. :)

This episode really shows that you can still make a masterpiece even with a low budget. I had a big ol' grin on my face when The Blue Danube started playing, and Maiko was a hilarious one-shot, and I hope she shows up again despite the ending. This is honestly one of the very few times I've ever gotten a genuine laugh out of an anime.

The OST is quite good, and is easily one of the contenders for the best anime OST.

Having trouble deciding if I liked this episode, or last weeks more.

Lord Il

Spotted this on an image board recently. Someone had a sharp eye..  :e_shocked:

Foggle

So glorious. Trigger has excellent taste.

Rynnec

This weeks episode gave a bit of focus to loli!Haruko. Ergo, it's the best episode yet.

Foggle

Foggle

So what did everyone think of episode 6? Here are my thoughts. Hopefully this is the last time I'll be late posting them...

LumRanmaYasha

Great write-up! It is interesting how these last two episodes have been somewhat uncharacteristically serious, but I've enjoyed the hell out of them. I'm glad to see the other antagonists of the show getting fleshed out, and hopefully that will lead to interesting developments for them in further episodes. Ryuko losing didn't bother me, since it would have been too soon for her to genuinely defeat a member of the Elite Four, and it was more interesting seeing an antagonist improve himself and defeat the hero for a change, which is something you rarely see in many action cartoons, much less anime. So yeah, really enjoyed this week's ep and hope to see the inevitable rematch between Ryuko and Sangeyama down the line, and especially look forward to the promise of a Mako-centered episode next week. That's gonna be a blast.  ;D

Foggle

I loved how they subverted expectations by putting one of the villains through the hero's journey, don't get me wrong. I just didn't like how brutally Ryuko got thrashed.

How do you feel about my Hot Fuzz comparison in the episode 5 blog?

LumRanmaYasha

I haven't seen (nor heard of) Hot Fuzz, but after looking it up just now, it seems like a movie that I'd really love.  I'll find a way to watch it as soon as I can, and then I'll get back to you on that question.  ;)

Well, actually, since the core of comparison is that the series, despite being a parody of other anime, is a loving parody of which that subverts expectations and is a superior series in that genre for it, then yes, I agree whole-heartedly, much like how Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a better action/superhero cartoon than others of it's kind despite it's campiness, and how Jojo and Bobobo are better battle/adventure shonen than others despite being incredibly over the top, tongue in cheek, and ridiculous.   

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on November 10, 2013, 12:29:48 PMI loved how they subverted expectations by putting one of the villains through the hero's journey, don't get me wrong. I just didn't like how brutally Ryuko got thrashed.

That's a shounen trope that is done to show you that the main character isn't invincible by any stretch, and that the villains are people too, so they have just as much dedication and determination towards achieving their goals, meaning that the protoganist has their work cut out for them if they hope to overcome their opposition. It's actually one of the better elements of the genre, IMO. It works for this series since, at its core, its clearly a parody of (and also possibly a tribute to) shounen school/fighting shows.

Also, putting the villain through the hero's journey isn't really subverted. Other shounen series have done that before. It's just that some shows/manga play that element up better than other series.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 10, 2013, 12:54:13 PM

Also, putting the villain through the hero's journey isn't really subverted. Other shounen series have done that before. It's just that some shows/manga play that element up better than other series.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many examples, myself, unless Tenshinhan and Vegeta count.  :P