The Greatest Anime/Manga Protagonist Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 03, 2014, 11:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Kagome Higurashi (InuYasha) - 6
Pinoko (Black Jack) - 10
Ikalgo (Hunter X Hunter) - 9
Kino (Kino's Journey) - 15

Kino and Pinoko move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 51

Jean Pierre Polnareff (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

VS.

Elgala (Excel Saga)

VS.

Ermes Costello (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

VS.

Yoko Shiraki (Ashita no Joe)

My Picks:

Yoko Shiraki
Elgala
Jean-Pierre Polnareff
Ermes Costello

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I'm at it, since feminism has been made such a big deal of in this day and age, I'd like to point out that Yoko fits the perfect example of what I consider to be a strong female character, in that she's just a strong (read: well-written) character in general. To put things into context, Sakura, an earlier character featured in this competition, is often called a strong female character, but I personally disagree with this. She's physically strong, for sure, but as a character, I don't consider her to be well-written. I think that people often confuse drawing explicit attention to the fact that a character is female and then making her more useful after she has a complex about not being useful as addressing some sort of issue with female characters, and this paints her in a positive light for many. Personally, I find her to be too whiny in the beginning, but OK, let's say that it's an intentional character flaw. My problem is that the answer to that flaw is literally to just make her more useful in fights, yet still have her play second-fiddle to the 2 guys in her team, and never really grow out of her Sasuke-complex until MUCH later on in the manga. I could go into how Morgiana from Magi is a MUCH, MUCH better version of this specific character type with an inferiority complex, but perhaps I'll save that for another time.

In this case, I really want to mention Yoko, since she's featured in this round. She is also introduced, intentionally, as a very smug and self-righteous character who hides behind her charity to paint herself in a positive light, and this goes in throughout most of the first half of the manga. What makes her such a great, memorable, and interesting character is her actual development throughout the manga, which if you weren't aware, is meant to highly parallel Joe's. Both characters have their flaws early on. When part 2 of the story rolls around, they both undergo many gradual changes that have been built up since part 1, and their development is concise and progresses naturally, including how they each play off of each other whenever they interact. Yet at the same time, the development is kept realistic, and rather than turn into a morally good character in every way, she actually becomes a very shrews businesswoman who is out to progress her interests, yet does it in such a way that you just can't help but root for her. I particularly like how she flat-out dominates a group of wealthy boxing managers who run the Japanese Boxing organization from behind the scenes. She allows them to underestimate her because she's a woman, and that believe that women can't do a man's business, yet she completely and utterly uses them for her own gains before they even realize what her true intentions are, and they can't do a thing about it. Rather than hiding behind her status like she used to, she accepts who she is and uses her influence to achieve great things. To me, that's just a fascinating character, regardless if gender, and why I personally find Yoko to be an ideal example of a strong female character, because she's just so well-written in general.

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Jean Pierre Polnareff (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) - 6
Elgala (Excel Saga) - 9
Ermes Costello (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) - 3
Yoko Shiraki (Ashita no Joe) - 12

Yoko and Elgala move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 52

Barnaby Brooks Jr. (Tiger & Bunny)

VS.

Conan Edogawa/Shinichi Kudo (Detective Conan)

VS.

Killua Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter)

VS.

Rowen/Toma Hashiba (Ronin Warriors)

My Picks:

Killua Zoldyck
Conan Edogawa/Shinichi Kudo
Barnaby Brooks Jr.
Rowen/Toma Hashiba

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same as CX.

I'm also once again reminded that the HXH anime has ended, which really is a bummer for me.

Spark Of Spirit

Killua Zoldyck
Rowen/Toma Hashiba
Conan Edogawa/Shinichi Kudo
Barnaby Brooks Jr.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Pharass

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Same as Pharass.

Is Ronin Warriors still good, Spark?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Barnaby Brooks Jr. (Tiger & Bunny) - 11
Conan Edogawa/Shinichi Kudo (Detective Conan) - 17
Killua Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter) - 24
Rowen/Toma Hashiba (Ronin Warriors) - 8

Killua and Conan move on to round 2.

Round 1: Match 53

Sinbad (Adventures of Sinbad/Magi)

VS.

Ryuji Danma (Shonan Junai Gumi/GTO: The Early Years)

VS.

Gene Starwind (Outlaw Star)

VS.

Shinobu Miyake (Urusei Yatsura)

My Picks:

Shinobu Miyake
Gene Starwind
Sinbad
Ryuji Danma