31 Nights of Halloween (2015)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2015, 03:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's finally that time of year, people! Just like last October, we have a huge variety of horror movies to get through; one for every day of the week. Some are are scary, others funny, occasionally even a little heartwarming, and in some instances bat-shit insane. Regardless of the movie, they are all sure to be entertaining as hell, so try to join in on the fun.

With that said, let's get started with....

NIGHT 1

Written and Directed by: John Carpenter
Starring: Roderick George "Rowdy Roddy Piper" Toombs, Keith David
Released: 1988

We kick things off with a John Carpenter classic (which is appropriate, since we ended with one last year), and also a tribute to the late, great Rowdy Roddy Piper. They Live is not Carpenter's most iconic film, but it is among his best, IMO. It's not so much a horror movie as much as it is a very clever satire of a real-life horror, 1980's Corporate Commercial America, and the soulless consumerism that was prevalent in that decade. Part of what makes this movie hold up so well, though, is how that very theme still applies so strongly to modern society, perhaps now even more than ever.

But it's the smart directing and good performances that make  this movie worthwhile. As a professional wrestler who had dealt with a lot of bull-shit and being financially in the dumps for a good chunk of his life, while being taken advantage of by promoters and businessmen, Roddy Piper brought a level of sincere humanity that made him both relatable yet cynically funny when he needed to be. Keith David, who also co-starred in John Carpenter's The Thing, and of course provided the iconic voice of Goliath in Gargoyles, is just as endearing as ever, and has superb chemistry with Piper (not to mention their hilarious, iconic fight scene, which South Park payed tribute to by matching a whole portion of it frame-for-frame).

It's Carpenter's unconventional directing style that makes this movie stand out as so unique. In any other hands, it would either feel too preachy and/or too predictable. Instead, it doesn't play out like a horror movie despite still carrying many of the traits that belong in the genre. It tells its own story that forgoes a tired plot and instead just follows the actions and whims of its main characters, and it all culminates in one of my favorite ending scenes to any movie that I've ever seen.

Of course, I must give props to the great make-up effects of the aliens, and that iconic poster that really does send a chill down my spine, while still somehow managing to maintain a  fairly campy tone.

So yeah, it might not be a scary movie, but it's still perfect viewing for Halloween, and a good way to kick off the month of October.

talonmalon333

So now we start... but unfortunately, I haven't seen this one. Sorry; :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The lack of people having watched They Live is a travesty, but hopefully people will have more to say about tonight's movie.

NIGHT 2

Written and Directed by: Roman Polanski
Starring: Mia Farrow
Released: 1968

Many people know this film as a horror classic, and interestingly enough, there's only really one extremely graphic (for the time) scene in the whole thing; unless you also count that scene where we see a woman's dead body, which I don't. What truly makes this movie terrifying comes from the subtle undertones and subtext of the character performances. Everyone knows the twist of this movie these days, to the point of it not even being a twist anymore. But that in and if itself is merely just a natural conclusion to anyone who pays careful attention to how the movie unfolds. There's hardly a single wasted line of dialogue. Almost every spoken word and every highlighted visual in the movie has a sense of double-meaning behind it, and the performances are excellent to the point of not being able to tell whether something strange us going on, or whether Rosemary really is going insane.

This, in a sense, is a perfect film to capture true horror. It doesn't rely on cheap scares or blatant shock value, but rather cleverly plays on one's fear of the unknown, as well as the idea of everyone around you conspiring something big involving you.

Avaitor

This starts off as all character, and slowly builds its way up into monumental suspense, before one of the all-time great reveals in horror. I wouldn't call it slow for a second, since every little thing matters, and it's fascinating to watch for the whole time.

Easily among the best of the best.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Sorry, I have been really busy. Anyway, I'm glad I caught this before the next movie goes up. Rosemary's Baby is one of my all time favorites. I think that Polanski took quite a bit of inspiration from Hitchcock in the creation of this movie, in how it builds up. It's "slow" in the sense that it's intentional. It takes it's time very much. Many people have their opinions on the ending, but I think the most important part is the buildup to that. Though to say they should have shown "that" at the end (I'm not sure what our feelings on spoilers are, here, but I'll just be safe for the time), to me is silly as I think it's better for Rosemary to merely state a few identifying features, and to leave the rest up to imagination.

Speaking of Rosemary, we should really talk about how wonderful Mia Farrow was. She did such a good job in the role.

Also, I recommend Repulsion for anyone who hasn't seen it. It was also done by Polanski and carries a few similarities to this movie, though it's very much its own thing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was about to scold you for not responding sooner. :D

On another note, either most people on this board have no appreciation for good horror films, or they are cowards who can't take a healthy dose of fear. :humhumhum:

NIGHT 3

Written and Directed by: Takashi Shimizu
Starring: Megumi Okina, Misaki Itô, Misa Uehara
Released: 2002

We go from a classic suspense movie to a much more modern Asian horror film, tonight. Ju-On is among the few core J-Horror films that ignited the popularity of the genre in Japan, as well as getting itself its own lackluster American remake (also directed by Shimizu, surprisingly enough). This is also a sequel to two other lesser-known films, but I have yet to see those, myself.

One thing that I want to bring up is how this film often gets criticized as a brain-dead jump-scare-fest. These claims are rather silly, IMO. The film has a few jump scares at most, and the majority of the horror comes from atmosphere and building up tension. The decision to tell the story out of order also helps to intentionally make the experience more disorienting, and thus harder to fully piece together (and the less you understand, the scarier it is). This works on a level of having you as the viewer being able to follow each scene individually, but having to view the film multiple times and really think about it in order to piece together the whole story. Thus, the first viewing plays out like a well-made series of vignettes or short films, but later viewings reveal much more in the way of clever plot details and common themes. What could have easily been a cheap gimmick is actually one of the best aspects of this film, IMO.

And good god, whenever Kayoko makes that croaking sound, you realize that you aren't going to sleep that night....

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2015, 02:39:31 PM
On another note, either most people on this board have no appreciation for good horror films, or they are cowards who can't take a healthy dose of fear. :humhumhum:

I got used to that last October, when you and I were the ones carrying all of the discussions. :awesome:

As for The Grudge, it has its strengths but I can't call myself a huge fan of it. I understand what it was going for with its plot, but the execution didn't work for me very well. It's certainly a scary movie, that's for sure. But, as far as Asain horror movies go, I do think that The Ring is easily better.

Foggle

Sorry, I just haven't had any time to watch movies lately, and it's been so long since I've seen any of these 3 that all I can really add to the discussion is "they're good."

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's kind of funny that you're not a fan of Ju-On when you're the one who picked it in the first place, Talon. :P

I don't quite agree about the execution not working for the reasons which I stated above, but I do agree that Ringu is definitely the superior film.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2015, 08:06:06 PM
It's kind of funny that you're not a fan of Ju-On when you're the one who picked it in the first place, Talon. :P

I don't quite agree about the execution not working for the reasons which I stated above, but I do agree that Ringu is definitely the superior film.

I didn't say I don't like it. It's just not a movie that I love. I figured it'd be good for this, though, since we had The Ring last year.

But, like I said, it's scary. And, as a horror movie fan, you know I'm all for that. The croaking noises, for example? And when you hear them when the television starts to fuzz out? That's one of the most important things, in the end. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 4

Directed by: Takashi Miike
Screenplay by: Kikumi Yamagishi
Starring: Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka
Released: 2001

Another J-Horror cult classic, and a Takashi Miike film at that. I've really wanted to see this film, and want to get into Mike's body of work in general. Unfortunately, though, I haven't gotten around to this film yet, but the premise sounds amazing.

gunswordfist

I hate Japanese horror but I'll try to check this one out!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I love this movie. The musical numbers are so bad they're amazing, the sense of humor is great, and there's just enough weirdness and blood for it to be immediately recognizable to western audiences as a Takashi Miike film. It's definitely not my favorite piece from his body of work, but it's probably the only horror-themed film he's done that I'd show people unless I wanted to potentially make them feel sick. :lol: Overall, it's a lot of fun, and - like many of his movies - feels like if David Lynch made a live action anime.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 04, 2015, 06:38:30 PM
You heard me.
:'(

J-horror is my favorite kind. It's not often particularly scary in the traditional sense, but I love ghost stories and creepy legends and stuff.