Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 04, 2015, 06:00:48 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 04, 2015, 04:40:09 PM
I also prefer David Wise's song, but Kirkhope's is more nostalgic and therefore equal in my eyes!

More nostalgic than David Wise?
He grew up with an N64, not a SNES.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

When did you first play DKC, Foggle?

Foggle

I had Donkey Kong Country on the GBC as a kid, and I knew someone who owned the SNES version, so I actually grew up with both composers. :D When I say that Kirkhope's song is more nostalgic than Wise's... well, just listen to them. Grant's track sounds like it could have been lifted directly from Banjo-Tooie, while David's sounds more like something he'd have made for Tropical Freeze than the original DKC trilogy.

talonmalon333

Kirkhope's style is indeed a bit more "distinct". His music in Banjo and DK64, for example, is very similar and, if I didn't know any better, I could've easily mixed up what came from each game.

Foggle

I disagree. His work on DK64 sounds way different from his work on Banjo for the most part.

Spark Of Spirit

Grant Kirkhope also did GoldenEye, which is a fantastic soundtrack, and David Wise did all the Battletoads games, which are very different from his DK style.

But I usually see Kirkhope as having the more bouncy and folksy tunes and Wise as having the more introspective and chill tunes. They compliment each other well which is why it's nice to see them both working on this game.

I still think the best tune Grant Kirkhope ever wrote was Spiral Mountain, though. I hope he can top it with this game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

When I was young, I'd always play one thinking "this music sounds like DK64" or vice versa "this music sounds like Banjo". :P

If nothing else, the music from DK64's forest level sounds like it could have been taken directly from Banjo.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 04, 2015, 11:17:52 PM
But I usually see Kirkhope as having the more bouncy and folksy tunes and Wise as having the more introspective and chill tunes. They compliment each other well which is why it's nice to see them both working on this game.
I agree; I'm just shocked it took so long for them to make a game with both!

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 04, 2015, 11:18:52 PM
When I was young, I'd always play one thinking "this music sounds like DK64" or vice versa "this music sounds like Banjo". :P
Well, some of the songs are similar, but the DK64 OST is a lot more chilled out and atmospheric. It doesn't really sound like David Wise, but it has a distinct DKC-esque flavor to it that Banjo lacks.

QuoteIf nothing else, the music from DK64's forest level sounds like it could have been taken directly from Banjo.
It only makes since, since that entire level was taken directly from Banjo. ;)

gunswordfist

Battletoads is why I love Wise.

Also, Goldeneye has some incredible music. Probably top 10 in the genre.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

He also composed the amazing Perfect Dark soundtrack. The man is quite talented.

Foggle

Don't forget the Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z soundtrack! :happytime:

Spark Of Spirit

He actually co-penned much of the GoldenEye soundtrack with Graeme Norgate who left to form Free Radical and did the Timesplitters and Second Sight soundtracks. Outside of like two tracks, Perfect Dark was almost entirely him.

Not sure why there are so many good VG composers out there not working. Such a waste of talent.

Foggle

You know, I was just joking in my previous post, but I'm listening to it right now and the Yaiba OST is actually amazing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxjbwZOE-A

Spark Of Spirit

Why wouldn't it be amazing? It's Grant Kirkhope.

Foggle

Yes, but it's also Ninja Gaiden Z!