Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I love Perfect Dark's soundtrack as well! I had the music set to random on multiplayer so I could listen to any theme in the game as I find new weapons to enjoy. ;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The awful gameplay tends to completely distract you from the music in Yaiba. You might not be able to tell by watching a video, but it really is that abysmally bad.

Spark Of Spirit

Speaking of Ninja Gaiden, did the modern games ever have a remix of Act 1 from the NES game? That's kind of like the definitive Ninja Gaiden tune to me. If Ryu Hayabusa was ever in Smash, I'd pick that to be his theme.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

"ALRIGHT GEEZERSSS... COME TO LEARN FROM THE BESSST?"

As the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter campaign ascends to even more spectacular heights, it's high time we introduced you to the game's first support character: flash, wheeler dealing serpent, Trowzer!

Trowzer is a business-snake whose career never took off. Not that he knows it – the smug, serpent salesman thinks he's the bee's knees (not that he has knees), and for a little dosh he'll teach you some of the slick moves he picked up on the high-stakes sales floor.

Yooka-Laylee's creative lead, Gavin Price explains: "Trowzer thinks of himself as the best salesman ever, but with his downbeat appearance and 1980's mobile phone, life never took off for him.

"He'll take your money and count it (he's an Adder...) and because he knows best he'll even demonstrate the moves you just bought for you to replicate... if you can follow his jiggling."

Character artist extraordinaire, Mr. Steve Mayles described the design process behind his latest creation: "I didn't want him to be a snake in the traditional sense, and when Gav suggested he should have shorts on (do I have to add shorts to all of my characters?!), a great idea for this was his body could curl back up through the other leg hole. So he'll move with a certain springiness, which will be fun to animate."
This is the most Rare character ever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Greatest NPC design of all time. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Just about £1000 to go before Orchestral music is reached. And there's still a month left to go!

Foggle

This one took a while. I wonder if people read "orchestral music" and worry that the classic Banjo/DKC sound will get replaced by some disposable CoD ish. I know I certainly did until I found out that Tropical Freeze and Nuts & Bolts had full orchestras for the music.

Spark Of Spirit

It depends, I guess. I would just hope they go with what works with each theme. Stickerbrush Symphony, for instance, works so well because it's electronic. Not to mention other tracks like Frozen Fruits or Alpine Incline.

But there are some really good tracks like Bubblegloop Swamp, Freezeezy Peak, and Click Clock Woods, that work really good in orchestral style. On the other hand, that Banjo orchestral album didn't always hit the mark for me. Spiral Mountain is not as good without a banjo playing the main theme and they changed it for no real reason.

Foggle

I'm sure they'll make the right choice with each song; I doubt every track will end up being orchestral. Grant Kirkhope even said as much on Twitter!

Also,

- Trowzer
- Snake
- Trouser Snake

RAREWARE IS BACK BABY

Spark Of Spirit

As Playtonic said:

QuoteIt was Trowzer and his shorts that pushed it over the edge, for sure.
Had to be.

Now we play the waiting game.

Spark Of Spirit

Post-release DLC a stretch goal.

QuoteFrom the start of the campaign we also pledged to do best by your amazing support by only setting stretch goals that would improve the game, without negatively affecting core development.

Our next stretch goal, if reached, will be used only to further improve and polish Yooka-Laylee, and give something back for your amazing support. Namely, we'll release our first post-release DLC pack free of charge for all backers.

When – and only when – we've finished and shipped the full version of Yooka-Laylee, we'll start work on additional content that will be distributed to backers free of charge for their platform of choice. And again, all additional funding will of course go towards improving and polishing the game.
So basically the money we'll be used for polish and the backers will get free DLC later on. Fine with me.

gunswordfist

That character design is amazing! :worship:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Spark Of Spirit

Kiddington

I still want a Yooka Laylee amiibo line.

Sue me.