Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

GameXplain interview.

Looks like their idea for the world design is to be able to "100%" them the first time through but as you go through the game you can open up the worlds more and go back to them with new skills and collect more if you want to. From their wording it seems you might fight a different final boss depending on if you did the bare minimum or not.

Sounds really cool. I've been wanting that from a collectathon for years.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I love good idle animation. :) Well, unless the characters kills themselves.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 19, 2015, 03:53:51 PMWell, unless the characters kills themselves.
That Sonic CD idle animation.  :D

gunswordfist

I still need to actually watch that. I can't just sit still in a Sonic game for 3 minutes, now. Especially after growing up on Sonic 1 where he lost his shit after seconds of stopping. :D

Spark Of Spirit

If they can reach a deal with the companies, I think a clever idea for that post-game DLC they're planning would be DLC characters depending on the version of the game you've purchased.

Like Banjo-Kazooie for the XBone, Donkey Kong and Diddy for the Wii U, and Ratchet & Clank for the PS4. I'm not sure who they'd pick for the Steam version, but I'm sure they'd think of something.

Even though this has a less than zero chance of happening, wouldn't it be cool?

Foggle

That's a great idea!

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2015, 01:15:11 PM
I'm not sure who they'd pick for the Steam version, but I'm sure they'd think of something.
Scout and Wheatley perhaps.

gunswordfist

I have no clue who those two are.

Spark Of Spirit

New character reveal!

QuoteIn their physical days these articulate phantoms were the scribes behind Yooka-Laylee's mysterious book worlds. However, following their suspicious demise the Ghost Writers' unsettled souls are now cursed to endlessly wander their creations in search of spectre salvation. Free their spirits for a special reward...

Yooka-Laylee's creative lead, Gavin Price explains: "The Ghost Writers haunting the book worlds will add a fun twist to collecting. There are a variety of different types hidden in every world, each with their own unique requirement for being caught.

"Mix that with the different areas in which you'll find them, and hopefully they'll result in a fresh challenge with every encounter. They're like a living (un-living?) collectible."

Character artist at large, Mr. Steve(n) Mayles described the design process behind his band of ghouls: "As these characters aren't based on any particular creature, it was good fun to go a bit crazy with them. And we are crazy guys at Playtonic Towers...never a dull moment, etc.

"The ghost was originally going to be one character, but I sketched so many thumbnails (50+) it sparked the idea of having 5 separate ghosts with different abilities."

The Ghost Writers are the third character reveal to date for Yooka-Laylee, following Trowzer and our heroes themselves. There are many more waiting in the wings...
With Paypal they're closing in on £1,750,000 but we still need a bit of a bump to reach that last stretch goal and get free post-release DLC.

Needless to say, those ghosts look pretty cool.

Spark Of Spirit

https://soundcloud.com/playtonic/glacier-world-working-title-work-in-progress

Less than a week to go and 150,000 pounds to go before the final stretch goal is hit! Here's hoping they make it!

Foggle

Classic Kirkhope.

I hope they hit that goal too! Sadly, I ran out of money and had to withdraw my backing. :'(

Spark Of Spirit

gunswordfist

I love the first image. I wonder if that's how level portals will look like or even better, jump into the book for level select.

Spark Of Spirit

Not quite at 3 mil in pounds, but there's still more than a day left!

Go Playtonic!

Daikun

Might as well cross-post the E3 news that Foggle posted.

Quote from: Foggle on June 15, 2015, 12:47:32 PMRareware just announced a cooperative pirate game with cartoon graphics. It looks fucking amazing. There's also a compilation coming of every single game they've ever made that isn't owned by Nintendo, including the original version of Bad Fur Day.