Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

But why don't you do this with Hal Laboratories, or Intelligent Systems, or NST, or Game Freak, or even other companies like Capcom? Why is it only Retro that has to move on and try new things after two games (or one apparently judging from the childish meltdowns over TF)? Why are they the only company that get put on a pedestal and told to make "new" things all the time? Why is a 2D platformer inherently less impressive than a 3D adventure game?

Why can't you just accept what they make for what it is? You have no problem with that with the above companies, why is Retro different?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2015, 03:48:56 PM
Unfortunately, "I wanted something new from Retro" is just GAF code for "METROID PRIME 4" at this point.

That's why I'm not defending those guys. :sly:

I will admit, though, I would not be opposed to seeing them make a 2D Metroid game. It would be fresh enough and could potentially be awesome if they still have the people who did the aesthetics and art for Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong. It would also be nice because, in my opinion, Super Metroid is the only awesome 2D Metroid (but I'd go as far as to call it possibly the best SNES game). The original was good but a bit dated by today's standards, and Fusion had a bit too much handholding and I wasn't a fan of the bosses. Retro might have the potential to make a game worthy of Super Metroid. It also makes sense because, after DKCR, they claimed they thought long and hard about making either a Metroid or DK game. Considering the Prime series is done and most of its team are gone, maybe that Metroid game would've been 2D.

Also, didn't the Metroid fans like the Prime trilogy?

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
But why don't you do this with Hal Laboratories, or Intelligent Systems, or NST, or Game Freak, or even other companies like Capcom? Why is it only Retro that has to move on and try new things after two games (or one apparently judging from the childish meltdowns over TF)? Why are they the only company that get put on a pedestal and told to make "new" things all the time? Why is a 2D platformer inherently less impressive than a 3D adventure game?

Why can't you just accept what they make for what it is? You have no problem with that with the above companies, why is Retro different?

Okay, now you're just getting your feathers riled up. First of all, I had no "meltdowns" over Tropical Freeze. I don't even think I ever actually complained about it. The most I've said is "I'd like to have seen Retro branch out". I'm sure it's great and I'm sure it's a step above DKCR. It just wasn't at the top of my "What I want to see" list. And when did I say anything to suggest I think a 3D adventure game is inherently more impressive. Now you're just making things up. To be honest, you're making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. All I've ever suggested is that I was hoping to see something else from Retro and still do. That's it. Nothing more. If you thought it was more than that than you misinterpreted me or a joke post of mine.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 02, 2015, 04:19:06 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2015, 03:51:31 PM

Okay, now you're just getting your feathers riled up. First of all, I had no "meltdowns" over Tropical Freeze. I don't even think I ever actually complained about it. The most I've said is "I'd like to have seen Retro branch out". I'm sure it's great and I'm sure it's a step above DKCR. It just wasn't at the top of my "What I want to see" list. And when did I say anything to suggest I think a 3D adventure game is inherently more impressive. Now you're just making things up. To be honest, you're making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. All I've ever suggested is that I was hoping to see something else from Retro and still do. That's it. Nothing more. If you thought it was more than that than you misinterpreted me or a joke post of mine.
I apologize if you took my post the wrong way. I was asking a legitimate question that was not entirely aimed at you (hence my not quoting you specifically) but aimed at people who think Retro need to do something new after after game but never ask why Hal doesn't make something non-Kirby, why NST doesn't make something other than MvDK games, why Game Freak keep making Pokemon games which sell in favor of something new, or why Capcom just doesn't stop making Street Fighter games? But Retro makes a second DKC game and, all of a sudden, that's different.

I want to understand what makes Retro different from every other video game company. Seriously. If you think I'm getting angry or whatever, I'm not. I know it doesn't show in text, but it is what it is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

In that case, sorry about the feathers comment and all that. :P

I personally can't speak for all the people in that thread you guys linked to, but the reason I personally tend to ask this a bit more from Retro is simply that I love how they brought life to 3D Metroid and I love how they revitalized Donkey Kong, so I was looking forward to seeing what game they would move onto next. That's about the extent of it. I don't get mad when they announced Tropical Freeze, though, unlike many.

But since you mention Game Freak, I do have a request of them... Pulseman. :D

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 02, 2015, 04:19:06 PM
It would also be nice because, in my opinion, Super Metroid is the only awesome 2D Metroid
!
Zero Mission, man!

QuoteAlso, didn't the Metroid fans like the Prime trilogy?
Yeah, but a lot of people hated the third one for some reason. IMO it was basically the Metroid Fusion of the Prime series; pretty good, but a bit too straightforward and not quite as interesting.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2015, 04:25:43 PM
never ask why Hal doesn't make something non-Kirby, why NST doesn't make something other than MvDK games, why Game Freak keep making Pokemon games which sell in favor of something new
I would love to see any of these studios branch out, especially NST. They're talented as hell, but they haven't made a game that's interested me since the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong. :(

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2015, 04:34:58 PM!
Zero Mission, man!

Sorry, forgot that one since I haven't played it yet. I definitely need to get on that as it really does look very good. I think I've heard some say it makes it impossible to go back to the original version.

Spark Of Spirit

Fusion is excellent. Haters step aside.

NST has the director of the classic Sonic games working there. He's certainly being wasted where he is. Game Freak also does other games ON TOP OF their Pokemon games such as the recent Harmoknight and that weird elephant game they're making, but nothing on the level of Pokemon. The thing is, I don't want them to stop making Mario Vs Donkey Kong (Okay, I want them to stop the current formula, anyway) or Pokemon simply for something else.

Besides, apparently Retro has expanded recently, so they could theoretically be able to make multiple games now.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2015, 04:41:21 PM
Agreed, but I do prefer Super, Zero Mission, and Prime 1.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 02, 2015, 04:37:02 PM
Sorry, forgot that one since I haven't played it yet. I definitely need to get on that as it really does look very good. I think I've heard some say it makes it impossible to go back to the original version.
It does.

gunswordfist

Fusion's not excellent  :bleh: so far.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

gunswordfist

What? I haven't gone back to beat that slime face boss yet.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Besides, apparently Retro has expanded recently, so they could theoretically be able to make multiple games now.

That would answer my problems. :P

I did like Fusion but I do think it was a bit too linear (Super Metroid was also more linear than the original, but I thought it struck a good balance). I also wasn't a fan of some of the later boss fights (the SA-X fight was great, though). Very good game, but I preferred Super Metroid.

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Yay! Definitely gonna' put some money aside for that ish.

Spark Of Spirit

First moving character

Can't wait to see what the Kickstarter is going to offer.