Sym-Bionic Titan

Started by gunswordfist, February 01, 2011, 05:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I had a feeling. That's kind of why I didn't get too attached to it.

A shame, though. It was a pretty different series overall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I'm still looking forward to Gumball. But I still can't believe that they got another Hall of Game Awards show planned. I tried watching that out of curiosity, and dear god was it boring. The audience was dead and had a "Why are we here?" face throughout the whole thing. It only looked like Tony Hawk was having fun with it.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Spark Of Spirit

I think it's that I actually think CN's current line up is pretty good in general, so when they cancel arguably the best show on it without letting it get an audience (there are plenty of shows that took time to find audiences) from one of their most important talents, it says a lot about their general direction.

Honestly, I just hate this mentality that's popped up in the last decade of everything needing great ratings out of the gate. Plenty of the best and most popular shows of all time needed time to find an audience, and they simply don't get that anymore.

Coupled with how fast they dumped Flapjack, I really have to wonder about this network.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think CN needs to stop buying so many new series and focus on what they have for now.

We got what, at least 10 new series from the upfront, and at least 10 more previous series have been renewed or have more episodes to air. There's too many shows to fill and not enough time to air them. That's what is killing them, IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Exactly, it's just insane. Just pick a line up and stick with it a few years, you might be surprised at what comes from building an audience.

That is, after all, how most of these networks found their audiences in the first place.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I think what makes this cancellation even more frustrating is the act of giving Ben 10 a fourth installment, rather than keep something fresh and, you know, good like this on instead.

So many things I would have done differently. All things considered, the news of SBT's demise takes all the starch out of what should have been a relatively decent up-front. I mean, the animation offerings from this channel are, for the most part, still pretty good (even if there is a hint of some awful looking crap on the way; that Problem Solverz show looks absolutely dreadful).

This cancellation pretty much ruined the whole thing for me, though. I loved this series, with one key reason being that it had actual character development and likeability among the cast (a lesson the writers of Ben 10 could certainly learn from). Seeing it prematurely driven into the ground because it doesn't sell toys is bullshit, especially given that ratings were no worse than what Generator Rex pulls in (but because Rex also sells toys, it got a free pass).

gunswordfist

Ugh, I heard about the show being dumped to 9:30 AM Saturday yesterday after I tried to find out whyTF it didn't come on yesterday. I didn't know it was this close to possibility getting cancelled. I can't believe soon after such a great episode like Escape From Galaluna they are even thinking about cancelling the show. Seriously, how did it lose a time slot to Johnny Test?!!!!

And don't get me started about Ben 10.....
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Everyone that says Problem Solverz looks like an MS Paint cartoon is not exaggerating. That show just looks so awful.

Seriously, Nick and Disney have about as many shows currently in production as all the new series that CN is getting in the next year and so. That works towards their advantage since they have plenty of time to promote each show to turn into a hit, while CN has too damn many to give each show enough proper advertising. If it doesn't turn into an instant big hit ala Adventure Time or isn't based on a previously successful property like Scooby, it's destined for an early death to make way for their next few shows. And if it doesn't keep that momentum, then there it goes. Hence why SBT gets the axe, while Ben 10 gets another series and Generator Rex won't have much longer for the world if the merchandise doesn't sell.

This isn't a good way to run a network. If Cartoon Network wants to get out of a distant third place, they need to realize this and focus on what they have for now, and make sure their alternatives to Nick and Disney are worth watching. They can't even claim to be the action network, since Nick is experimenting with that now.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Well, the final episode just aired nearly an hour ago on the west coast.

It wasn't the closure I wanted, but I'll take what I can get. Despite all my criticism of the series, it was seriously one of my most favorite shows to air in recent years. I'd do a whole retrospective on it, but I need to rewatch everything to truly take it in. Time to find a DDL dump of it then.

gunswordfist

This is the only show where I've never missed a premiere episode and I of course woke up early and watched it.

It was sad watching it when there was only a few minutes left. I was kind of scared that Octus wouldn't return in the episode. It was great that he did. That had some kind of closure to it. It was definitely a great episode and I was thinking how could they cancel a show this great during the Titan first monster fight in the final episode.

Now all I got is new episodes of Regular Show, Batman TBATB FMA and DBZ Kai to watch. Sucks that my favorite cartoon since Avatar is now over.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 09, 2011, 12:55:09 PM
Well, the final episode just aired nearly an hour ago on the west coast.

It wasn't the closure I wanted, but I'll take what I can get. Despite all my criticism of the series, it was seriously one of my most favorite shows to air in recent years. I'd do a whole retrospective on it, but I need to rewatch everything to truly take it in. Time to find a DDL dump of it then.
Yep, it's unfortunate that it isn't a real conclusion, but I took the ending quite well here despite everything that had happened. We basically know after this point that Titan is stronger than ever and they'll be able to go back to Galaluna and save it without fear, and their former enemies on Earth are now their allies meaning there really is no conflict left to resolve on Earth.

It's not perfect, but a much better conclusion than something like Samurai Jack received.

This also proved to me that Genndy is an extraordinary director that deserves a hell of a lot more work.

Daxdiv

I will say that I did enjoy how open-ended the finale was. I was expecting a cliffhanger where Lance travels to his home planet, looks at it, and then it ends. Shame it has to end like this.

gunswordfist

Yeah, I agree.While it's sad that not everything was wrapped up, at least they didn't leave off on a cliffhanger and the ending of this season was happy.

Avaitor

I'm SUPER late to the party, but I finally watched the full series. The back half is a lot stronger than the first, especially as he show drifts away from high school cliches and focuses on action, plot and character development. Both of the Galaluna episodes and Octus' character arc especially made for great material.

It's a shame that we didn't get a second season, since I feel like there's more that the show could have attempted. It did at least end on a solid note, though.

New blog!