What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Will definitely look into Hybrid Heaven and BioForge. I'm currently reading (and loving) Neuromancer, so I'll probably skip the video game adaptation. Might check out Beneath A Steel Sky if there's time.

Quote from: Desensitized on July 26, 2011, 12:57:03 AM
There were quite a few of these games in the 90s and early 00s... But not so much anymore.
Yeah, but at least it looks like they're making a comeback now. 3/4 of the ones coming out in the next few months are PC exclusive, though. I really love this genre; I could never see the appeal in steampunk, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Beat DOOM II! Such a great game and experience. I still have to try the bonus campaign in the XBLA version, but I quite loved what I played.

I don't think id has disappointed yet, though I haven't played DOOM 3 yet and Rage is due out next year, so I guess we'll just have to see. Their other projects are great, however.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still need to play DOOM 2. I have only played the XBLA port of the 1st game and most of 3. I love the first game but it gets too repetitive so I only ever play it in short intervals.

As for DOOM 3, I didn't like it at first, but then it really grew on me when I kept playing more of it. It got a bad rep from fans since it wasn't a pure sequel to the first 2 games (which is kind of obvious given when it came out). Its still about killing monsters and stuff, but it also took advantage of the gaming technology of its time and id decided to make it an atmospheric horror game, but to its credit it manages to do that quite well and still be a fun shooter on top of that. I actually like how key hunts don't bog down the pacing of the game like in the 1st game and that the game has non-repetitive level design (its more linear, but there is still an exploration element of sorts since there are multiple optional rooms and items to look for).

To be honest I actually prefer it to BioShock.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on July 25, 2011, 11:55:48 PM
With the releases of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Project 2027, Hard Reset, and E.Y.E. nearly upon us, I feel it is time for me to begin my journey through the history of cyberpunk video games in honor of the bonanza that is about to unfold. As of right now, this expedition shall include:

Snatcher
Cyber-Lip
Shadowrun (SNES)
Shadowrun (Genesis)
Policenauts
BioForge
Hybrid Heaven
System Shock 2
Perfect Dark
Deus Ex
Fear Effect
Fear Effect 2
Anachronox
Oni

If there's time:
SiN Episode 1: Emergence (I really like this game, but its cyberpunk influences are barely there)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (it's not a terrible game, but it's certainly a mediocre one)
Beneath A Steel Sky

Anyone have any recommendations for games that I might have missed? Mods are acceptable too. Also, I'm curious as to which Shadowrun game people prefer and why, so any comments regarding that would be great!
I've never heard of the last 3 upcoming games you named.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I also love Doom 3! :joy: Can't say I prefer it to BioShock, though.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 26, 2011, 09:32:44 AM
I've never heard of the last 3 upcoming games you named.
Project 2027 is a professional-quality and length mod for the original Deus Ex. The Russian version is already out, and the verdict is that it's really fuckin' sweet and a lot better than Invisible War.

Hard Reset is a cyberpunk FPS made by devs who worked on Painkiller, BulletStorm, and The Witcher.

E.Y.E. is a very Deus Ex-y Source Engine FPS/RPG.

Spark Of Spirit

Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon is quite addicting. It's not quite the same as 2017, but it still retains the open environments, over the top destruction, building destroying, bug shooting, B-Grade movie level feel the series is known for. Who would have thought that a game where you doing nothing but shoot and dodge in huge environments with a meaty selection of weapons, mechs and different armor classes could be so fun? Oh yeah, I did!  :D

Extra points for launching at $39.99, too. One of the few publishers that gets not everything has to be released at full price. I hope this does well for D3.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

CATHERINE!!!!! So far, I'm two hours into the game and I'm on Day 3. Pretty fun to figure out the right combo of blocks to push, and the morality system is pretty nice. So far, a lot of the answer to these questions that judge your morality are almost helping me make sure I get one of the endings with Katherine, since it seems to follow my train of though.

Spark Of Spirit

Is the game still balls hard? I must have died a ton of times on the demo before I "got" it.

Foggle

Make sure to leave the title menu running for around 45 seconds. It starts playing some jammin' music! :lol:

I'm on Day 6 of Catherine. This game is really fucking sadistic at times, even on Normal. It's by far the Persona team's greatest work since Innocent Sin, though. The story is the best I've ever seen in a video game and the gameplay is really fun and rewarding, even if it does get a bit tedious at times (good god I hate the boss levels).

The rage begins at 3-3, Dax (unless you're playing on Easy). Get ready to hear Vincent say "now's not the time to be dead" 200+ times.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on July 26, 2011, 10:07:30 PM
Is the game still balls hard?
Yes. Certain levels have taken me an hour or more (this is on Normal, btw).

Daxdiv

I will admit, I'm being a pussy and playing it on Easy, since Catherine's story was the main thing that made me want to get this game, well that and I do enjoy Persona 4 from the little I've played of it.

I'll give the harder difficulties a shot as soon as I beat my first playthrough. Also, if this Easy mode was nerfed from the Japanese version, I'm curious to know how rage inducing it was in Japan.

Foggle

Easy, which is still fairly challenging judging by the demo, is Japan's Very Easy mode. That should give you a good gauge as to how ass-rapingly hard the Japanese version was pre-patch.

Normal and Hard are virtually the same across all versions (post-patch in Japan), from what I hear.

Spark Of Spirit

Sounds like a great time. If I didn't already get EDF:IA, I would have considered this.

Here's hoping it does well!

gunswordfist

I have been playing some more Arkham Asylum. I hope Arkham City is this tightly knit.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on July 26, 2011, 10:51:04 PM
Sounds like a great time.
It is! I get frustrated easily, but the puzzles are actually quite clever and really rewarding to solve and every cutscene is mind-blowing.

QuoteHere's hoping it does well!
It's an Atlus game, and one by the Persona team at that. It'll be fine. ;)