What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 09, 2011, 03:47:56 PM
But does that mean it's a bad game? Not at all. The graphics are LOVELY, and I love how they use them. But is it for me? No. It moves incredibly slowly, the music makes me drowsy, and the difficulty is just... insanely low. Kirby was always geared more towards the hardcore Nintendo crowd.

I'm not quite sure what your definition of hardcore is. Most Kirby games have always been easy and geared to be accessible to more casual gamers, even since the old-school games. The exceptions include the spin-off type games like Kirby Tilt n' Tumble. At any rate, Kirby is hardly what I'd call a series for the hardcore Nintendo crowd. The Metroid series is more suited to that, IMO. I know a ton of people who have played and enjoyed previous Kirby games who definitely aren't hardcore Nintendo fans.

Spark Of Spirit

That Kirby game was made by a different studio. I'm not sure what happened to it, but Epic Yarn wasn't made from that game. Kirby games are always brain dead easy, that's part of their appeal. I can see someone not liking Epic Yarn for its lack of difficulty, but it's not meant to be a hardcore challenge.

If you want a hardcore challenge, DKCR just came out. I hear it's pretty hardcore. (It is)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 09, 2011, 05:27:37 PM
I'm not sure what happened to it, but Epic Yarn wasn't made from that game.
Correct, that was a GameCube game in development a long-ass time ago. It eventually turned into Air Ride (which I absolutely hated, fuck you for cancelling that other game, Nintendo).

Spark Of Spirit

The music was awesome, but that's about it. The game was boring as sin.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

But you know what isn't boring as sin? Alan Wake. I'm almost done with that game....

....I know that it has absolutely nothing to do with Kirby, but I just felt like finding some absurd way to lead the conversation about Kirby into Alan Wake, just for the sake of no reason at all. :)

I've heard Alan Wake being compared to Silent Hill a lot. Is that game series or are any games from it any good? I wouldn't mind checking them out now if they are at all similar, since I really love what I've played of Alan Wake up until this point. It just proves that Remedy can make awesome action games with great story-telling, without just relying on their success with the Max Payne games.

Foggle

Silent Hill 2 and 3 are excellent, two of the greatest survival horror games of all time. The first one is also really good, if you can handle its datedness. Origins and Homecoming are alright, 4 is meh, and stay the fuck away from Shattered Memories.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, 4 is the only one that I ever tried and I got pretty bored of it early on and stopped playing it. But I have heard consistently good remarks about the first 3 games in general, so I may try them if I ever get the opportunity to.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 09, 2011, 04:18:47 PM
I'm not quite sure what your definition of hardcore is. Most Kirby games have always been easy and geared to be accessible to more casual gamers, even since the old-school games. The exceptions include the spin-off type games like Kirby Tilt n' Tumble. At any rate, Kirby is hardly what I'd call a series for the hardcore Nintendo crowd. The Metroid series is more suited to that, IMO. I know a ton of people who have played and enjoyed previous Kirby games who definitely aren't hardcore Nintendo fans.

It's not challenging, but I see all of Nintendo's characters are their hardcore titles. Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-Zero... you get the point. ;)

Quote from: Foggle on January 09, 2011, 05:41:08 PM
Correct, that was a GameCube game in development a long-ass time ago. It eventually turned into Air Ride (which I absolutely hated, fuck you for cancelling that other game, Nintendo).

Are you guys talking about the generic Kirby picture I posted above? If so then that game was SUPPOSEDLY canceled. It was originally for the GameCube, announced in 2005 I think. But then they moved it to the Wii, and possibly ceased working on it for Kirby's Epic Yarn. HOWEVER, there are rumors that it's being made on the 3DS now.

---

And in other news, I beat Donkey Kong Country Returns tonight! Gosh, that game is awesome. And the difficulty is excellent! Although I'd probably argue the 7th world was harder then the 8th.

Spark Of Spirit

Most Zelda and Mario games are really easy, though. F-Zero is really hard, but that also sells pretty poorly.

Quote from: Foggle on January 09, 2011, 05:52:25 PM
Silent Hill 2 and 3 are excellent, two of the greatest survival horror games of all time. The first one is also really good, if you can handle its datedness. Origins and Homecoming are alright, 4 is meh, and stay the fuck away from Shattered Memories.
Did you just imply that Shattered Memories is the worst Silent Hill game? WTF. It's more of an adventure game with horror elements, it's not really survival horror, but it isn't really bad. It's just not what Silent Hill fans were expecting.

The first 3 games are the best games in the series, though.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on January 09, 2011, 06:04:49 PM
Most Zelda and Mario games are really easy, though. F-Zero is really hard, but that also sells pretty poorly.

Quote from: Foggle on January 09, 2011, 05:52:25 PM
Did you just imply that Shattered Memories is the worst Silent Hill game? WTF. It's more of an adventure game with horror elements, it's not really survival horror, but it isn't really bad. It's just not what Silent Hill fans were expecting.

The first 3 games are the best games in the series, though.

I haven't played it yet, but I hear Shattered Memories is amazing. As for Silent Hill in general, I see it as more "amazingly written" then "terrifying".

Foggle

As far as survival horror games go, I think I'd recommend the Fatal Frame series over any Silent Hill or Resident Evil title. Those games are seriously pants-browning.

I hear that the Xbox port of Fatal Frame 2 works on the 360, so if you see it, you should pick it up and give it a go. :)
Did you just imply that Shattered Memories is the worst Silent Hill game?
I flip-flop between 4 and that one for that honor, and yes, I did. To me, it got boring after the first hour since every scary section is almost exactly the same. It's also one of those cases where the remake ends up being worse than the original, though this one at least didn't reach Twin Snakes level of treachery. IMO, Origins and Homecoming are much better than people give them credit for, and Shattered Memories is much worse.

Spark Of Spirit

Since EK has a 360, he should get Deadly Premonition. It's only $20, and it's pretty easy to find. He also doesn't have to buy a new system for it.
Quote from: Foggle on January 09, 2011, 06:08:20 PM
As far as survival horror games go, I think I'd recommend the Fatal Frame series over any Silent Hill or Resident Evil title. Those games are seriously pants-browning.

I hear that the Xbox port of Fatal Frame 2 works on the 360, so if you see it, you should pick it up and give it a go. :)
I flip-flop between 4 and that one for that honor, and yes, I did. To me, it got boring after the first hour since every scary section is almost exactly the same. It's also one of those cases where the remake ends up being worse than the original, though this one at least didn't reach Twin Snakes level of treachery. IMO, Origins and Homecoming are much better than people give them credit for, and Shattered Memories is much worse.
Fair enough, but I liked that Shattered Memories tried something different instead of just being another retread of the old formula only inferior.

Unlike Twin Snakes, at least this doesn't rewrite canon into idiocy.

Foggle

Oh yeah, it was a cool idea, and the chase scenes are pretty intense at first. I'm glad they tried to take it in a different direction, since the previous 3 games weren't nearly as good as the first three. It just got kind of samey to me.
Quote from: Desensitized on January 09, 2011, 06:10:26 PM
Since EK has a 360, he should get Deadly Premonition. It's only $20, and it's pretty easy to find. He also doesn't have to buy a new system for it.
It's not really all that creepy, but I agree. He should also watch Twin Peaks, while he's at it. ;D

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 09, 2011, 06:08:20 PM

Well in terms of horror, Resident Evil surely isn't the best choice, even though the games were awesome. :P

But going back to Donkey Kong Country Returns, this game was definitely better then I thought. I'm glad it didn't just imitate the old games. It's something new but has clear elements from the old games. Before playing it I wouldn't imagine saying this, but I think it's definitely better then Donkey Kong Country 3 and CLOSE to the first two. It's two-player is undoubtedly better... However, I don't think I'll ever like it more then either, just cause the first two games have amazing levels and soundtracks.

Spark Of Spirit

Other than some strange (I mean, outright bizarre) design choices and some infuriating rocket barrel levels, the game really is great. I don't think I'd put it over 2 since 2 was much more consistent in challenge, but I would put it near the first game and possibly over it.

The weird part is that it beats 3 in platforming, but I think 3's gimmicks were actually more enjoyable than DKCR's! They may have been annoying, but they were usually still focused somewhat around platforming and not as rage inducing as the rocket barrels and mine carts (why are the mine carts OHKO?) but I won't deny that Returns is easily designed better as a whole.

Quote from: Foggle on January 09, 2011, 06:13:33 PM
Oh yeah, it was a cool idea, and the chase scenes are pretty intense at first. I'm glad they tried to take it in a different direction, since the previous 3 games weren't nearly as good as the first three. It just got kind of samey to me.
Quote from: Desensitized on January 09, 2011, 06:10:26 PM
It's not really all that creepy, but I agree. He should also watch Twin Peaks, while he's at it. ;D
It's a good mystery with some killer horror elements, even if the combat system is very old school survival horror. I think as long as you don't expect perfection, then you'll have a great time. Most survival horror games have shitty controls, anyway.  :hayguyz: