What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 16, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
Abobo's Big Adventure. Best Flash game of all time.

Darn it, Foggle. After six posts in a row, I was wondering how long gunswordfist would keep going. :imnothappy:

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 16, 2012, 03:48:01 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 16, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
Abobo's Big Adventure. Best Flash game of all time.

Darn it, Foggle. After six posts in a row, I was wondering how long gunswordfist would keep going. :imnothappy:
So today on Cave Story, I finally got to Hell (for real this time) It was an accident and I feel like a  dumbass for not saving. I'm going to have to beat the final bosses again to get to it. Ugh. FML. Jesus Goddammit!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Played more Metroid Fusion this morning and beat another boss I've beaten before (still playing catch up). I swear, it's like they let their kids play on their computer when they made these bosses. And what the hell is with the Mario ghost music? It's like the game loses its damn mind when bosses come around, which isn't Metroid like at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been trying out Revenge of Shinobi. Its pretty good, though I'm not quite sure what strategy you're supposed to use in order to take out the Samurai enemies. The challenge level is certainly there as this is one of the few games where I have died multiple times on the first level before passing it, though I didn't die a lot yet. I stopped after the first stage since I don't have a lot of time to play right now, but I'll try to devote more time to this game over the weekend.

Speaking of Shinobi, I am curious as to why the 3D Shinobi on the PS2 was made into a Shinobi game in the first place. I mean, aside from being about a ninja, it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the classic games, in terms of both looks/visual style or in terms of story. I'm guessing Sega just pushed the Shinobi name onto it for marketing value, only that probably backfired since Shinobi was always more of a niche title that only the more hardcore gamers were aware of, even back in the day when games like it and Ninja Gaiden were in there prime popularity as 2D side-scrollers.

Still, I kind of wish that the 3D game wasn't called Shinobi so more people would leave it alone (since even with the title it was obviously never going to be a popular game, anyways). I think its a great game and I like how its all about straight-up gameplay at its purest form among the PS2 library of action games. Its just straight up challenging platforming with some sword-play and ninja-magic thrown in for good measure. The controls are simple but perfectly suited for the gameplay, and the music is just fucking awesome (its one of the most underrated soundtracks in all of gaming, IMO). Honestly, I've never heard a good reason for some of the older Shinobi fans to hate on the game aside from it bearing the same title as the classics but not being anything like the classics. I guess that's fine if that's the way it makes fans of the 2D games feel, but really despite its title, the 3D Shinobi on the PS2 should be seen and judged as its own entity, regardless of its title. Personally I think its a fun and challenging game. Its perfect for someone like me when I just want to have some really quick action without any interruptions or lame gimmicks thrown in, but also with a healthy dose of challenge to keep me in check and focused.

Oh, BTW, sort of an off-key thought on my part, but am I the only one who thinks that a crossover game between the 2D Ninja Gaiden and classic Shinobi games would be one of the best ideas ever? Too bad neither classic series will ever have a chance at revival (well, I'm not sure how close the recent 3DS Shinobi games is to the classics, so I can't speak for that game). Also since both properties are owned by 2 different companies who don't even show that much interest in them, anyways, it'd obviously never come to pass. Honestly, though, if they ever made a Ninja Gaiden X Shinobi game, featuring the 2 coolest ninjas in gaming, I'm pretty sure it would be the set-up to the best game ever made (in my own personal fantasy, anyways :D ).

gunswordfist

Show some patience during the fights with the samurai. Y'all figure out the strategy soon.

I've been Earth Bound for 2 nights in a row. I'm on the 3rd boss now and I'm going to change my supplies a bit and go back for a rematch.

Spark Of Spirit

They probably called it Shinobi for the same reason Ninja Gaiden/Black was called it- for advertising and little more. The only thing that bothered me is that the 2D series was ignored for so long for so little reason. It's like once a 3D game was made, they had to ignore all the older games and throw them away and pretend they never existed. I'm not sure why it took so long for companies to realize they could cater to both.

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 18, 2012, 08:45:23 AM
Played more Metroid Fusion this morning and beat another boss I've beaten before (still playing catch up). I swear, it's like they let their kids play on their computer when they made these bosses. And what the hell is with the Mario ghost music? It's like the game loses its damn mind when bosses come around, which isn't Metroid like at all.
Boy are you in for a surprise. Just try not to use too many save states to get through it.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 20, 2012, 11:41:19 AM
They probably called it Shinobi for the same reason Ninja Gaiden/Black was called it- for advertising and little more. The only thing that bothered me is that the 2D series was ignored for so long for so little reason. It's like once a 3D game was made, they had to ignore all the older games and throw them away and pretend they never existed. I'm not sure why it took so long for companies to realize they could cater to both.

Well, in Sega's case I can understand their reasoning, since even giving that name to the 3D game for the PS2 didn't help it sell well at all, since like I said even in its day Shinobi was more of a niche title among gamers relative to Ninja Gaiden, so it was more like there was a lack of popularity and profit from the name in general, and from the 3D game. Also, to be fair its not like the 3D series got glorified treatment either, as it got one sequel (which wasn't even properly advertised as one, which was Nightshade), and once that game bombed that was it for the 3D Shinobi games, and for the series in general until its recent revival on the 3DS. I really hope that it sells well because it'd be a great thing for me if this series managed to recover and come out with great titles for other platforms so that I could have another great Ninja series to play, now that Ninja Gaiden is pretty much about to go to shit, anyways.

Also, as far as the Ninja Gaiden series goes, Tecmo unlike Sega has no excuse for not trying to revive the 2D classics. Fans have been asking for a new 2D Ninja Gaiden game since Ninja Gaiden 3 on the NES, and it's name is still popular enough among many gamers today (at least on the same level as Mega Man, and as Capcom proved MM8 sold fairly well so there is still a market for retro games out there), so really Tecmo is just plain oblivious to what gamers really want from them. At this point that's really all I want from them. As far as I'm concerned that company has nothing interesting left to offer me.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 18, 2012, 08:45:23 AM
Boy are you in for a surprise. Just try not to use too many save states to get through it.  ;)
[/quote]I only use save states on RPGs with turn-based hell dungeons like the SNES Breath Of Fire games. Thank God for Earth Bound.

Speaking of Earth Bound, I had a close boss battle with Titanium Ant. I had 10 HP left and killed him before his turn where he would have stomped me again unless he missed or did some stupid shit. I also beat the police chief. I hit him with PK Peace twice and attacked him like two times and he didn't get to do anything. I'm on my way to Twoson now and I believe I'm at level 11 already even though this is just my 3rd day playing the game and I haven't played it too much any day.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I started replaying F.E.A.R. 2 and Alan Wake, both on Hard mode.

With F.E.A.R. 2, I noticed that the AI seems to be notably better on hard mode, though still not quite as clever as they were in the first game, since they don't seem to want to take cover as much for some odd reason. Still, even then the AI in this game are clearly better designed than most CoD clones that get churned out these days, in which you could swear that most of your enemies probably don't even know the meaning of cover.

One thing about this game that I never took notice to before but that kind of bothers me is the walking motion. I know its supposed to be realistic how you walk step by step and don't go completely straight like in most FPS games, but something about it feels a bit distracting to me, and I don't really feel like it was a necessary element to put in the game, but its really just nitpicking on my part.

The rest of the game feels great, though, and it still trumps most FPS games that I have played this generation. I have no idea why people complained about this sequel so much. Its not quite as tight as the first game, but its not really a huge step back, either, IMO. The environments are also really good this time around, with lots of interesting locations and just enough room for exploring the areas around you to keep the game from feeling way too linear and scripted. There isn't always a ton of insentive to explore since you are usually merely only rewarded with data log journals, but its still good to explore to find stuff like easter eggs (and some of them can be pretty funny), extra weapons/ammo and health/armor, or even to just run into an optional little jump scare. Personally I think its a great game, even if its a bit too short, and overall its a worthy sequel to the first game.

I finished playing the Alan Wake DLC episode The Signal. To be honest I didn't much care for it. I don't mind the whole "inner-workings of Alan's mind" scenario in small doses, but having to play through an entire episode like that isn't really very satisfying, for me. I liked the main game much better because it focused mostly on Alan in the real world setting without too much of the mind-games going on, which I think works better and strangely enough is more atmospheric than Alan's own mind is. Anyways, Now I have started replaying the game from scratch on Hard mode, but really its not for additional challenge as much as it is to experience the game again and possibly explore around it some more to find some things that I may have missed out on my first time through the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, in addition to playing Revenge of Shinobi, I also decided to try out another Sega Genesis classic that I missed out on in my childhood, Rocket Knight Adventures. All I can say right now his holy crap! I had heard this game being hyped up from some people before and expected it to be a decent platformer, but this is way better than I even thought it would be. The platforming involving the use of the rocket can be really creative, and in addition to that the game is also a really fun and unique sort of hybrid between a classic 2D beat-em-up and shoot-em-up (and I say that because the character's main attack is swinging his sword but that also automatically acts as a short-ranged projectile in and of itself). There's definitely no other game like it that I have ever played. I know that there is is a RKA game for the SNES as well. Is that game any good, because I might give that a shot after this one. I also might look into the XBLA game when I get a chance.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 21, 2012, 02:57:13 PM
One thing about this game that I never took notice to before but that kind of bothers me is the walking motion. I know its supposed to be realistic how you walk step by step and don't go completely straight like in most FPS games, but something about it feels a bit distracting to me, and I don't really feel like it was a necessary element to put in the game, but its really just nitpicking on my part.
Yeah, it can be annoying, but it's not too bad. If you want to see a really distracting walking motion in a FPS, try S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl. I can't play that fucking game for more than 30 minutes at a time because I get headaches from how much your character flops around when he moves.

gunswordfist

My save got messed up in Earth Bound so I had to start from back at level 6 and before the first cave. I just got back to where I was though..well a little bit before that, so it's ok now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, its nothing that ruins the game or anything, but I do find it to be a minor annoyance. I forget about it completely when it comes to combat scenarios, though, so that's really all there is to that.

Anyways, I've been playing more of F.E.A.R. 2 and its still a great game most of the way through. The only parts in the game that I downright hate are fighting the Abominations (I think that's what their called). To me they are F.E.A.R.'s equivalent of Halo's Flood. They just aren't a fun enemy to fight, plain and simple, and they really don't play at all to the combat strengths of the game since they don't really have smart AI backing them up, but rather just try to jump on you and if they do its annoying because you have to mash a button to get them off, and as anyone who is aware of my gripes in gaming, I hate having to rapidly tap buttons in any circumstance, and of course this is no exception.

Still, aside from Halo: Reach which I'd honestly say is on par with this game, I honestly find this to be the best possible FPS experience that I've played this generation. I've played enough of the various CoD campaign modes to know that its not really my cup of tea. I've played plenty of other FPS games this generation, both good and bad ones, and to me at lot of them feel solid enough but they also feel generic and nothing about them keeps me playing. I've also played BioShock 1 and 2 and love the atmosphere of those games but think that the combat is merely good but not great. To me F.E.A.R. 2 is a near perfect combination of great combat like in Halo games and great atmosphere like in BioShock games, so its pretty much the best entertainment value that I have gotten out of any FPS this generation, putting some minor gripes aside. However, it seems like this one merely got average to good reviews, even though I think its great, so clearly most people are more interested in the script-heavy CoD experiences. That's fine, but for me this is what I like to see in a modern FPS game, personally. I also like that even though it has a weapon limit, it at least lets you carry 4 weapons at a time as opposed to just 2 of them.

Anyways, I've been playing more of Rocket Knight Adventures and it continues to impress. Its so good that it may honestly rival S3&K as my favorite Sega game when I'm done with it, and right now I'm only playing the game on Easy mode, so I'll definitely be playing it at least one more time through to see how challenging it can get on Hard mode. Honestly, with gameplay this good I don't see why this series never took off in popularity like other popular platformers did. Its freaking brilliant.

gunswordfist

Yeah, RKA is great. I need to get around to beating it. I also have Sparkster on my laptop