What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Really liking Lollipop Chainsaw. Aside from the hilarious, unmistakably Suda51 humor (which really ramps up quickly in this one), it's got an awesome punk rock soundtrack (easily Yamaoka's best since the Silent Hill days) and some surprisingly addicting gameplay. It's not deep by any means, but it stays consistently fun and fresh due to the ability to purchase new moves and some great mini-games. Oh, and the boss battles... holy shit, the boss battles! So good.

It's a pretty basic brawler, but it's got a heavy focus on getting high scores. While simple, LC manages to be flashy and challenging at all times. There are occasional quick time events, but they're easy to pass and haven't become a burden for me yet. Dreamcast fans will probably love this game, as it seems to harken back to the goofy, arcade-style classics from that system.

Foggle

Stage 2 was even better than the first! This game is so much fun to play, and super creative. It might actually be Suda's best since Killer7! :D

Kiddington

Huh, it appears as though I can't find my copy of Sunshine. Not sure why it's not with the rest of my 'Cube games (usually I'm good about keeping these things together).

Guess I don't have to play it again after all.  :sly:

Rosalinas Spare Wand

You're doing that on purpose you piece of shit.

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2012, 06:04:22 PM
It's a pretty basic brawler, but it's got a heavy focus on getting high scores. While simple, LC manages to be flashy and challenging at all times. There are occasional quick time events, but they're easy to pass and haven't become a burden for me yet. Dreamcast fans will probably love this game, as it seems to harken back to the goofy, arcade-style classics from that system.

Just wondering, how close is it to No More Heroes' overall style and mechanics? Haven't decided if I want it but once I finish Desperate struggle I might be hungry for more Suda madness.

Nel_Annette

I was watching an LP of Lollipop Chainsaw earlier today and I think I might pick it up. The way they play up the humor is great.

...Tara Strong helps too.  :awesome:

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 13, 2012, 05:16:55 PM
Just wondering, how close is it to No More Heroes' overall style and mechanics? Haven't decided if I want it but once I finish Desperate struggle I might be hungry for more Suda madness.
The mechanics are a lot more polished than No More Heroes, but there's no more motion-controlled (or stick-controlled) slicing and the dodge rolls are now dodge flips. There's also a rather large amount of unlockable moves and such.

The style is the same. Replace the arrogant-but-lovable otaku douchebag with an intelligent-but-stupid optimist cheerleader and you have the main character. There is constant and hilarious banter between Juliet and the severed head of her boyfriend, Nick, so the humor is even more in your face than it was in NMH - and, IMO, better written than it was in Shadows of the Damned.

The levels and cutscenes are very creative and the gameplay never gets old, as it's often broken up by fun mini-games similar to MadWorld's Bloodbath Challenges. The boss fights are some of the best around and there's a lot of great original music by Akira Yamaoka, ranging from punk to metal to psychedelic to funk to rockabilly. There are lots of unlockable costumes, but most of them are quite pervy aside from some of the anime tie-in ones (and the amazing Evil Dead Ash outfit)... which actually make the character look more respectable than the default costume IMO.

Hope that helps! It's apparently something like 4-6 hours long (though my first playthrough is looking to approach the 7 hour mark), but it definitely has a lot of replay value and it's always good to support awesome/underappreciated developers like Grasshopper when you can.

Daxdiv

I was going to buy it this week, but forgot my vacation starts Friday and goes on until next Saturday. Well, at least I have something to look forward to when I get home on Saturday.

Kiddington

Commode

I just picked up the PS3 version of LC, so I'll check it out here soon.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm playing Paper Mario on the VC.

Good game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It's still my favorite in the series tbh.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 13, 2012, 09:28:12 PM
It's still my favorite in the series tbh.
It's fine. I'm enjoying it.

But it has a few things that rub me wrong. Like the Shy Guy chapter only gets good near the end, the jungle chapter is iiritating until the end, and the partners aren't as great as the ones from TTYD. But I like it. It just seems a bit plain to me compared to the other Mario RPGs.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Er... It's not my favorite Mario RPG. It's my favorite Paper Mario. :sweat:

talonmalon333

Paper Mario is being discussed in a different thread. :devil:

I agree with some of what you said though, especially the partners having less character than the TTYD ones. However, the pacing is much better.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, today I picked up Pikmin 2 for the Wii today.

I never played it before, so I'm hoping it's as interesting as I heard. I didn't like the time limit in the original.