What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I really enjoyed Alan Wake. A bit too easy and the feeling of repetition does admittedly start creeping in towards the end (though, the same could be said for both of the Max Payne games), but its a game well worth playing through. I especially loved when I found some Max Payne references in some of the manuscripts.

That reminds me, I still need to beat the DLC episode that I currently have, The Signal. To be honest, though, I kind of find it to be a tad bit weaker in gameplay and story than the main game from what I've played of it, but it is still fun at its core. It is more challenging, and its not necessarily cheap, but for whatever reason its not the fun sort of challenge that I enjoy, possibly because a lot more of it seems to come from dodging objects possessed by the darkness than actually fighting enemies (once again, at least so far).

Oh, BTW Foggle, you really should check out every Night Springs episodes whenever you get a chance. Awesome Twilight Zone homages right there, and the stories are fun to listen to even if you're not a fan of The Twilight Zone (though, of course I love TZ, so that makes it all the greater a treat for me :D ).

Also, if you ever manage to get the "Drink 'em both up" achievement, be a pal and let me know what to do for that one. I'm not an achievement hunter or anything like that by any stretch, but I could never understand what that achievement was asking me to do to unlock it, and it kind of drives me nuts a little bit. :P

Foggle

Haha, can do!

The story seems really interesting so far. Very Twin Peaks (which I love), and it's kind of personal to me since I fancy myself a bit of a writer. :)

Are the Night Springs episodes those videos you can download for free from the Xbox Store? I watched the one on the tv in-game before you go to the gas station and it was awesome.

I got The Signal for free with the game (it came with a download voucher inside). My friend tells me it's not so great but that The Writer is really good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 14, 2011, 11:14:32 PMAre the Night Springs episodes those videos you can download for free from the Xbox Store? I watched the one on the tv in-game before you go to the gas station and it was awesome.

I wasn't aware that you could download them. But, yeah, those are the episodes found on the in-game TVs, though I listen to them rather than watch them since the screen is always so tiny and barely distinguishable. I just really love how they add to the feel of the game, and they perfectly nail that Twilight Zone sort of touch while also successfully parodying it at the same time. Its one of the many great things that I love about this game.

QuoteI got The Signal for free with the game (it came with a download voucher inside). My friend tells me it's not so great but that The Writer is really good.

Yeah, I also got it for free with the game since I bought it new. Its certainly not as good as the main campaign (IMO), so far, but its not bad either. It just feels like they tried too hard to up the challenge level of the gameplay but emphasized certain aspects of it which weren't necessarily part of its strengths. It still plays fine for the most part, though. The story also seems to be a bit inferior (at least so far), but the atmosphere is still as great as ever.

I have yet to play or even download The Writer, so I have no idea how good or bad that DLC episode is.

Foggle

Playing Alan Wake makes me wish even more that Remedy were developing Max Payne 3... :(

gunswordfist

Just been playing more PS4. I think I'm at the last boss. 3rd time I thought that so who knows?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

GodDAMN Henry Hatsworth spikes in difficulty in world 4. I forgot about that spike, and it leveled me. Good thing it isn't TOO annoying, however. It just means I need to space out my puzzles better for power ups and health.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

^Speaking of... with the upcoming release of the 3DS, I'm planning on making a topic on TZ about how awesome the DS was and including some of the best games on the system in it.

I'll be including Henry Hatsworth, the Phoenix Wright series, and Hotel Dusk to my post, but are there any other you guys care to see? I'll probably include "remakes like the MMZ Collection and HeartGold/SoulSiver in another section, I'm mostly looking for original series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still wish I had owned a DS. Well, at least now that the 3DS is going to eventually come out, the DS might drop the being really cheap in price so that I can scrounge up enough money to afford it. Unfortunately, I only got to play bits and pieces of various games, with the only one that I played most of being Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (pretty underrated title, IMO).

Anyways, I wish I had games that I could contribute to the list, but I just never got the chance to try a lot of the great DS games. Its a real shame since there are actually quite a bit more games on the DS that interest me and that I think I would really like than there are games on any of the current consoles combined, including the Wii.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 14, 2011, 11:07:45 PM

Also, if you ever manage to get the "Drink 'em both up" achievement, be a pal and let me know what to do for that one. I'm not an achievement hunter or anything like that by any stretch, but I could never understand what that achievement was asking me to do to unlock it, and it kind of drives me nuts a little bit. :P

If you haven't found out by now. Drink 'em both up is that achievement when you play that jukebox in the diner, twice. You know when one of the Anderson brothers' tells you to play the jukebox for him during the very beginning of the game? Well play that the first time. Then during the final episode/chapter that come packed with the game, when you're walking around the town with the cop, go back into that Diner, and play it again. The achievement should pop up and you're good. I thought that the hint was pretty clever, considering it's the song that plays whenever you interact with that jukebox.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 15, 2011, 11:32:08 PM
If you haven't found out by now. Drink 'em both up is that achievement when you play that jukebox in the diner, twice. You know when one of the Anderson brothers' tells you to play the jukebox for him during the very beginning of the game? Well play that the first time. Then during the final episode/chapter that come packed with the game, when you're walking around the town with the cop, go back into that Diner, and play it again. The achievement should pop up and you're good. I thought that the hint was pretty clever, considering it's the song that plays whenever you interact with that jukebox.

Ah, Thanks for letting me know about that. Damn, that hint completely went by me. Now that's a pretty clever achievement (I didn't even know that I could go back into the diner....in fact I didn't even notice that I had passed it again and that I was in a familiar area). :D

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Desensitized on February 15, 2011, 09:25:34 PM
I'm mostly looking for original series.

Infinite Space, 9 Hours/Persons/Doors, Meteos, Moon, Space Invaders Extreme 2, Retro Games Challenge, and the Izuna series need to be mentioned. All very badass and unique experiences you can't find elsewhere.

Foggle

A lot of people weren't big on it, but Tokyo Beat Down was great. :joy:

gunswordfist

So this morning I played Phantasy Star IV again and tried to beat what I assumed was the final boss so I could beat the game and then go on the internet to figure out how to get past that God damn dog side mission after I won. I went to the boss a few times and then we got wiped out a few times. So then I decided to stop taking stupid risks that lets me hit the boss more. I did much better after that. Then while fighting the final form of the boss, it killed most of my guys. And left one. Then at least twice, I used an item to revive one guy, then the one who did the reviving would get killed. Then I checked my items and saw I was out of stuff to revive people. So I said fuck it, I might as well attack again and it would be cool if I killed it during the last turn I could beat it. I used Nafoi with Kyra and started making stupid random noises when the boss started blowing up. So as of 11:05 AM today, I finally beat Phantasy Star IV. Now I got to look on the internet to see how to get past that annoying fucking dog mission so I can actually do more than one Hunter mission.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks for the games. The DS has a lot of cool stuff.

Meanwhile, I've been playing hard Corps Uprising and loving every minute. I'm sure Foggle, EK, and GSF would dig this in particular. The levels are crazy.

Foggle