What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I don't think I've ever seen the Saturn controller.

Also, 2 days ago I got right to the part where you get Clank. The world following that was a pretty fun action packed part of the game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I guess I should mention that I got OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast and Freedom Fighters today cheap.

Freedom Fighters was apparently done by the Hitman team and it's a really hard shooter. It took me forever to get through the second level until I found an optimal path and snuck into the hotel. Why can't current shooters be this interesting?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2012, 03:22:01 PM
I thought that you said you didn't like the XBOX360 controller. Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, though.

The original XBox controller is my least favorite. I love the 360 one, though. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The original XBOX controller was way too bulky. There is a slim version of it that's much better, and pretty much as good as the XBOX360 controller, except for its lack of shoulder buttons. The shoulder buttons are probably the great improvement that the XBOX360 controller made to the control-scheme (obviously learning by way of Sony's shoulder-button set-up).

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2012, 09:54:15 PM
The original XBOX controller was way too bulky. There is a slim version of it that's much better, and pretty much as good as the XBOX360 controller, except for its lack of shoulder buttons. The shoulder buttons are probably the great improvement that the XBOX360 controller made to the control-scheme (obviously learning by way of Sony's shoulder-button set-up).

I didn't know that. Good thing they did.

As for the 360 controller, I like it enough that I bought one for PC gaming. Even though I don't actually own a 360. :P

Foggle

Max Anarchy continues to impress. I found an ethernet cable in my closet a few days ago, which greatly improved the online play for me. I actually did so well during one match last night that I started smack-talking my TV. :blush: Waaaay too much fun! I think I've finally decided on my favorite characters now; Mathilda and Zero. Though I still play as some others quite often, like Baron, Fei Rin, and Durga. Such a great cast of characters, but please know that I absolutely hate you if you're one of those Douglas or Ai Rin players who spams grabs, 360s, and KW attacks all day. :P

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 19, 2012, 11:24:16 PM
As for the 360 controller, I like it enough that I bought one for PC gaming. Even though I don't actually own a 360. :P
Wired 360 controller is basically the go-to gamepad for PC gamers since its design is great, >90% of games support it out of the box, and Xpadder works exceptionally well for games that don't feature native support. I - personally - am not a fan of the D-pad, though I have no qualms playing 2D games with the control stick.

Spark Of Spirit

I got to move the PS3 into my room and with my remaining wallet amount I ended up purchasing GodHand.

One and a half hours and a defeated boss later and I have to say the hype is 100% dead on. The game looks worse than a Dreamcast game, but the beat em up fighting is the best ever in a 3D game. The roulette especially adds a good amount of variety to the system as well as custom combos. It took my until the boss until I learned how to unleash the Godhand properly... Man, that would have saved me more than a few times had I done it before.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It's the best game ever made IMO.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2012, 07:22:52 PM
a defeated boss
Do you mean Elvis or Mr. Gold & Mr. Silver? I hope you're ready for shit to get even crazier and harder, btw.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2012, 07:22:52 PM
The game looks worse than a Dreamcast game
I don't know, I've been playing a bunch of Dreamcast games recently, and it definitely looks better than any of them from a technical standpoint. Art style not so much.

Spark Of Spirit

I guess it's mostly the environments and character animations, they're very sparse and dry for a PS2 game. But it doesn't matter because the combat is excellent.

It was Elvis, actually. I beat Gold & Silver without much problem- Timing and the spinning kick (nods to Double Dragon?) tends to wreck when you know when to use it right. I juggled most of the demons with it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2012, 08:43:56 PM
But it doesn't matter because the combat is excellent.
So sad that no game has ever even tried to match it. Anarchy Reigns is similar in some ways, but it's still not quite as deep or precise due to it being multiplayer-focused.

Platinum loves referencing God Hand in their games (especially in MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns), and iirc No More Heroes 2 even features Ball Buster as one of the boss' attacks... complete with the same exact animation and sound effect. The legend lives on!

Oh yeah, is the PS3 version an HD port or just a PS2 Classic? I might buy it again if there's a big difference in quality.

Spark Of Spirit

I think it's just the original up-scaled. But since I was playing it on an SDTV I have no idea how it looks on a HDTV screen. It still has typical "do not remove PS2 memory card" do it's probably the equivalent of a PS1 classic.

Foggle

Speaking of references to past games, that's one of my favorite things about Bayonetta. It calls back to Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and God Hand on multiple occasions. Amazing.

The amount of references to God Hand in AR is absurd:
Rampage = Unleash
Rampage clash = Gene vs. Azel pummel
Bari Shur = World 1
Baron's movements = Gene's movements
Mathilda's bat = Spiked bat
Mathilda's Death Ball Superstar Shot = Home Run God
Cybrid Joe = Tiger Joe
Max's outfit = Gene's outfit
Sexy Dynamite (Mad Survival team) = Handsome Dynamite (God Hand OST song)

There are probably a lot more, but that's all I can remember atm. I'm just glad the guys at P* remember their finest work.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2012, 09:54:15 PM
I remember Kane, the wrestler, said the controller was too big for him.

gunswordfist

Earlier this morning I got past Planet Wisp as Classic Sonic on Sonic Generations. I was pretty impressed that the level had an underground which I immediately went to. I hated how many times I had to use SPIKE!. That took forever. Hopefully there's more to explore in the level. The real story of that stage is how fucking much I love the music. It's still stuck in my head. Nuh nuh nuh nuhhh nuh nuh! Nuh nuh nuh nuhhh nuh nuh!

Oh and I gave up on Crisis City as Modern Sonic a few hours ago. Sliding down on those lava platforms is just annoying.

Foggle