What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

For inspiration for the beat em up I'm going to make (yeah, I have dreams too.) I decided to try beating Streets Of Rage 3 again. On Saturday on I believe my first try after the long break on the game I beat the first Robot X for the first time. Since I didn't know WTF was going on, the police chief died in the next stage. Then in the one and only time I got to the stage after that, I quickly died.

Yesterday, I died either right before or after Robot X and used the trick of just using the other damn controller after player 1 got Game Over for the 2nd or 3rd time. I saved the chief again, which I got good at after the 2 or 3 other times I did it and got the "good" stage 7. I got all the way through that and beat the last Robot X this time. I failed to beat Robot X in time and got the bad ending. I tried again and either got my ass kicked or died on that boss again. I forget. Anyway, I'll try to beat him in time again some other day and I'll go to the route where the chief died and try to get that ending (if it's even different or whatever)

Complaints: Game is too damn trap heavy. It's like Fred from Scooby Doo designed the game. Enemies stealing your food is NOT cool. How is that even a remotely good idea? It just pisses me off. The first two stages are AWFUL! I'm sure that alone killed the game's popularity. Fighting in a god damn warehouse and that seizure inducing nightclub is NOT fun.

Oh and I discovered what the star system does a few days ago. I feel silly for just figuring that out. I only got to use the two star level attack for a short period of time.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Super Mario Sunshine. Again.

This has got to be the most underwhelming Mario title ever. I'm a little ashamed to say that, after nearly eight years of ownership, I still haven't brought myself around to beating it yet.

One of these days, Alice... one of these days...

Spark Of Spirit

It's not the worst Mario platformer (that would be SML2), but it is by far my least favorite 3D one. I got near the end before my save was erased (asshole friend of mine deleted all my GC saves), but I have yet to have any desire to go back to it.

The Galaxy games were the first 3D Marios that felt up to par with the 2D games for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm currently finding it hard to stick to a game, at the moment. I was re-playing Ninja Gaiden II a few weeks ago for about the dozenth or so time (in all honesty it was probably more than that), until I got to Chapter 9 which I absolutely detest and then I switched to trying to play Tales of Vesperia which entertained me for a little while but I quickly got tired of playing that as I do with most JRPGs (or RPGs in general for that matter, whether they be Japanese or Western). I still don't feel like going back to Dead Space right now since I'm honestly not in the right mood for a corridor shooter so I'll still hold off on that game for a while. After that I attempted to get back into playing Arkham Asylum and finally finishing my Hard Mode file, but once again I grew tired of the game and stopped playing that within 20 minutes (yeah, I loved the game on my first time through but in all honesty it doesn't hold up too well to replay value; though I am still looking forward to Arkham City).

I tried re-playing some Halo: Reach and had fun with it for about a level but then I got tired of that too. When I think about it, I just don't feel like replaying any games, and I can't really afford to buy any new games at the moment, so I guess I'm currently in a bit of a gaming slump. :(

Maybe I'll finally get back into trying to beat DKC3, or I might finally try Mega Man X3, but I'm not even sure what I'm in the mood for at this point.

Spark Of Spirit

Just beat Shantae: Risky's Revenge on my 3DS.  WayForward is awesome.

I've also been playing Shadow Wars, which is a cool little strategy RPG from the dude who created X-Com. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's by far the best 3DS game currently out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

On Saturday, my friend let me borrow his copy of Crackdown. I started it today and am about to beat the first gang.

I finished downloading Infamous and 3 other games yesterday. I played a little bit of Infamous first level.

Today, my oldest little brother sent me a bunch of his games including Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Bulletstorm, Arkham Asylum (FUCK YEAH! PS3 EXCLUSIVE CONTENT), Prince Of Persia Forgotten Sands, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and Gears Of War. I am forcing myself to just play Crackdown and beat it so I can give it back to my friend.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sigma 2 is ass. If you play any version of the game, just play the original NG2, unless you want  to play the pussified version of the game if the real version is too hard for you. :sly:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2011, 07:45:39 PM
Sigma 2 is ass. If you play any version of the game, just play the original NG2, unless you want  to play the pussified version of the game if the real version is too hard for you. :sly:
Then Sigma 2 sounds perfect to me  :sly:

I'll buy the 360 version later on

Foggle

Play Bayonetta first. Fucking masterpiece.

gunswordfist

Foggle

Maybe I'm just getting rusty, but as someone who thought that F.E.A.R. 2 was a total cakewalk even on the highest difficulty setting, F.E.A.R. 3 is fucking HARD on Normal. Great game so far, the AI is more aggressive and intelligent than ever. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

Dammit, I said I was going to play Bulletstorm first and save the best for last in that quote.

Been playing through Crackdown. Ugh but I will get through it

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Bayonetta is great. If you like DMC, you should probably play that first. I'd at the very least recommend it over Sigma 2 (though, just for the record, I still find  the XBOX NG games to be way more fun than Bayonetta, but I think Bayo is probably the best done hack n' slash game in terms of its accessibility and polish and such).

gunswordfist

Well...I kind of like DMC. Been meaning to get Bayonetta and pretend like I never had the game but funny enough, my brother gives it to me

Foggle

Impressions of Fthreear from a longtime fan (me :joy:):

Good
Single-player is fucking brutal, even on Normal difficulty. Been awhile since I played a FPS that was actually challenging.
AI seems to be better than ever. They're extremely aggressive in this one.
Level design is more diverse than F.E.A.R. and planned out better than F.E.A.R. 2.
Mech levels are actually somewhat difficult and a lot more satisfying this time around.
Shotgun is satisfying as hell. Original Penetrator is back in all its glory.
The gore has definitely been stepped up.
Explode-on-contact grenades really add to the fun.
Co-op seems like it would be great to play (too bad none of my friends who play on PC like this series :( ).
No load screens at all.
Phasecasters are 10x more intense to fight than 2's Remnants (and are basically the same idea).

Bad
Regenerating health gets in the way at times (and one boss fight in particular is especially rage-worthy).
You can only hold two weapons.
Weapons don't carry over between Intervals for some reason.
Zombies and mutants aren't very fun to fight.
No cloaking assassins.
Still can't dual-wield pistols.
No answering machine messages to listen to or collectable intel documents to read.
Creepy atmosphere is less prevalent than in previous games.

Overall, I really like it. It's better than F.E.A.R. 2 but not as good as the original, in my opinion.