What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks for reminding me why I have no desire to play these games.

Characters like that are ruining gaming.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

What's weird about this is that I usually like sadistic characters with no redeeming qualities (Kakihara from Ichi The Killer, for instance). Kratos just sucks.

Spark Of Spirit

I think it's different when you have to basically play/be them. Like Travis Touchdown is a satire of gamers who is supposed to be a real jerk, but I don't mind playing as him because the ones he kills are worse than he is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on July 06, 2011, 03:28:28 PM
I think it's different when you have to basically play/be them. Like Travis Touchdown is a satire of gamers who is supposed to be a real jerk, but I don't mind playing as him because the ones he kills are worse than he is.
Travis makes jokes, though; he isn't all serious-business like Kratos. He's hilarious and likable despite being a jerk.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 06, 2011, 03:31:07 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on July 06, 2011, 03:28:28 PM
Travis makes jokes, though; he isn't all serious-business like Kratos. He's hilarious and likable despite being a jerk.
He also doesn't go around angsting or slaughtering random people for no reason, either. Like, he's not supposed to be a good guy, but he's easily the least bad character in the universe.

I think it's important to relate to the character you're playing as on some level, otherwise you just don't give a shit. I couldn't give a shit if Kratos lives or dies, why would I want to play as him?

Eddy

Travis also has a sense of humanity to him. He refuses to kill Shinobu because she's so young, he's felt remorse for some of the people he's killed, especially in NMH2.

I also have no real desire to get into the God of War series. I got Mortal Kombat for the PS3 but only because my friends cared about Kratos. I couldn't give two shits about his inclusion.

gunswordfist

Kratos is in Mortal Kombat? Gotta get the PS3 version.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 06, 2011, 04:16:47 PM
His fatalities have QTEs.

... I'm not making that up.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 06, 2011, 06:08:08 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 06, 2011, 04:16:47 PM
His fatalities have QTEs.

... I'm not making that up.
FML

Foggle

gunswordfist

I've been playing Bayonetta all day. I decided not to ever use items so I can get the No Item bonus at the end of each Chapter and so I won't have to spend any halos buying them which means I have money for the more interesting stuff. I also have brought every technique except for 3 which I'll continue to ignore. Anyway, plus the fact that my max health guage has only increased once or twice, it has been kind of hard but not too bad. I'll go ahead and keep on doing this

Spark Of Spirit

Ghost Squad is a hell of a light gun shooter. I'm really enjoying all the extra this game has. Now all I need to pick up is HOTD 2 & 3 and I have all the Sega light gun games for the Wii. I don't think anyone does the genre better.

I still can't believe we didn't get a single Time Crisis game for the system. Namco is such a retarded company.

Foggle

What's your favorite light gun game, Desen? I haven't played very many, but mine is definitely Overkill.

Spark Of Spirit

Light gun games are awesome, but I barely played them outside arcades as a kid because you usually had to buy a gun separately and it cost a penny. That's why the Wii was such a godsend for the genre. Easy ports for the first time ever. Unfortunately, only Sega really took advantage.

But of the ones I played, I really enjoyed...

Virtua Cop series - I've played them all, first two on PC with a mouse (they were official, too) and the third in the arcade before they died out here.
Time Crisis 2 - Two players on two separate screens, this was something else back then, and it was easily BY FAR the most popular Time Crisis game. The ability to hide behind cover is great.
Crisis Zone - You're a dude with a giant SWAT shield and a machine gun. Simple, yet destructive as hell.
House Of The Dead series - I've played every game in this series in the arcade, and they are all top notch. I still hope for a home port of 4 (Probably on the Wii U with that new Overkill SE), but all the additions Overkill made to the formula were fantastic. All 5 of these games are highly recommended.
Silent Scope - You're a sniper. The only issue is that this is a lot harder than it should be. Very unique, though. A port/sequel to the Wii U using the pad might be awesome.
Point Blank - ... Is really weird.
Lucky & Wild - This is unfortunately the most unexplored concept in the history of arcade games. Two players. One drives the car, the other one shoots bad guys. So many possibilities, and only this game uses that sweet concept.
Gunblade - This was ported to the Wii with LA Machineguns, but what makes this insane is the concept of holding a giant arm cannon that fires giant balls of plasma like a machine gun. This was pretty boss.
Jurassic Park - This will never be rereleased due to the license, but this one was intense.
Ghost Squad - There are tons of unlockables and branching paths in the levels. You also do quite a bit considering you only have two buttons.

I always thought that light gun segments should appear in more games. Especially Wii games with the pointer. It would add so much variety to the action. And hey, at least you wouldn't be walking down corridors!

I haven't played either of the Resident Evil light gun games, or Dead Space Extraction, so I'm not up on the console exclusives. There are a ton of great other arcade games... Maybe we should ask Lord Dalek to make us a list of these?

Lord Dalek

I've always been partial to Terminator 2 myself. Maybe I should due a list of light gun shooters at some point.