Survival Horror

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 10, 2011, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Double post, but another great thing about Until Dawn is that it doesn't take itself seriously. I mean, of course when certain character get killed off it's treated seriously like it should but what I mean is that there's plenty of good humor in the game through the wittiness of some of the cast.

Really, horror filmmakers out there should be taking notes from this game.

Foggle

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 28, 2015, 09:00:35 PM
Can't see it, what's the link?
The final monologue from P.T. ("dad was such a drag") can be heard playing on one of the radios in Metal Gear Solid 5. :)

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Foggle on August 28, 2015, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 28, 2015, 09:00:35 PM
Can't see it, what's the link?
The final monologue from P.T. ("dad was such a drag") can be heard playing on one of the radios in Metal Gear Solid 5. :)

Ah, cool! No doubt a subtle way of sticking it to Konami.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2015, 10:07:20 PM
The first half of 4 is excellent, Shattered Memories and Downpour have great ideas but middling execution, the really early parts of Homecoming are good, Origins is consistently playable. So, 4.

It's weird. Silent Hill didn't crash and burn like some other franchises. But... after 3, did Konami just not know how to keep it running? Did the formula wear thin?

Foggle

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2015, 01:20:07 AM
Outsourcing happened.

But weren't the first few post-3 games made by the original team?

Foggle

Only 4 was, and the first half of it is arguably just as good as 1-3.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 29, 2015, 01:29:33 AM
Only 4 was, and the first half of it is arguably just as good as 1-3.

Is it true that's the last game that feels like a classic Silent Hill game (not saying it's as good as one, just that it retains much of that Silent Hill feel)?

Foggle

Origins feels like a traditional Silent Hill game. Just not a very good one.

talonmalon333

So then, I guess the absolute total collapse of the series was when western developers took cracks at it?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 30, 2015, 08:41:38 AM
So then, I guess the absolute total collapse of the series was when western developers took cracks at it?
Yeah. Which isn't to say that western developers are incapable of making a great Silent Hill game... just not the ones Konami hired, and not for the probably small budgets they allotted.

talonmalon333

What would you guys call the best horror games?

Foggle

Silent Hill 1-3, Fatal Frame 2-4, System Shock 2, Haunting Ground, Siren 1-3, Resident Evil (Remake) & 2 & 4, The Suffering 1 & 2, Penumbra 1 & 2, The Evil Within, F.E.A.R., Condemned, Cursed Mountain, Deadly Premonition, P.T.

EDIT: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, White Day, Imscared

Foggle

Just found out that Project Siren apparently employs a lot of people from Team Silent, and was founded by the director/writer of the original Silent Hill. No wonder those games are so good.

And pretend I mentioned Eternal Darkness in the previous post.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on September 10, 2015, 08:23:30 PM
Just found out that Project Siren apparently employs a lot of people from Team Silent, and was founded by the director/writer of the original Silent Hill. No wonder those games are so good.
I was unaware that you didn't know this. People were basically freaking out because Sony basically "acquired Team Silent" around Siren's release. Unfortunately, they haven't had the chance to do a whole lot yet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton