Survival Horror

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 10, 2011, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It really is amazing how these companies don't just put them up on Steam or GOG. Almost no effort, yet a lot of return.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 17, 2015, 09:54:16 PM
It really is amazing how these companies don't just put them up on Steam or GOG. Almost no effort, yet a lot of return.
Yeah. As long as they fixed up SH2's multi-core bug, they could have just popped both of them on Steam the same day the console HD Collection launched and probably doubled their profit.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 17, 2015, 09:55:56 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 17, 2015, 09:54:16 PM
Yeah. As long as they fixed up SH2's multi-core bug, they could have just popped both of them on Steam the same day the console HD Collection launched and probably doubled their profit.

But if they did that, then Steam probably would have gotten the HD Collection, bad versions of 2 and 3, and no version of 1.

EDIT:

Foggle, are these the right versions of the PC versions of 2 and 3?

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-2-PC/dp/B00007M9SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439917255&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+hill+2+pc

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-3-PC/dp/B0000EZGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439917221&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+hill+pc

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 18, 2015, 09:52:46 AM
But if they did that, then Steam probably would have gotten the HD Collection, bad versions of 2 and 3, and no version of 1.
I doubt that. There'd be no need to port the games again, especially since the PC versions already look better than the HD Collection. And while it would suck to not have SH1 on PC, it's important to remember that the 360 doesn't have it either.

There's a fan-made PC port of SH1 btw. It works pretty well.

QuoteEDIT:

Foggle, are these the right versions of the PC versions of 2 and 3?

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-2-PC/dp/B00007M9SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439917255&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+hill+2+pc

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-3-PC/dp/B0000EZGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439917221&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+hill+pc
Probably. Like I said, I don't actually own them. Looks like SH3 has gone way down in price since I last checked, but SH2... :whuh:

gunswordfist

Prices scarier than the fucking game...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

For real! :lol: Haunting Ground is in the same situation these days.

gunswordfist

:'( :'( Not Haunting Ground! I really wanted to play that...

Foggle

It might be on PSN eventually... it already is in Japan. Let's hope for that. :)

I actually have a Japanese copy, which was super cheap, and is (mostly) in English. :joy:

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 12:30:11 PM
I doubt that. There'd be no need to port the games again, especially since the PC versions already look better than the HD Collection. And while it would suck to not have SH1 on PC, it's important to remember that the 360 doesn't have it either.

Wouldn't putting them on Steam mean porting them again? :P

Foggle

Not unless they pulled an RE4, which isn't really necessary here. They'd just be uploading the preexisting files onto the Steam servers, with a few compatibility tweaks here and there.

talonmalon333

Is it true that a lot of tweaking needs to be done to make the PC versions look and play as good as possible?

Foggle

All I did was plug in a controller, then alt-tab to open up task manager and set SH2 to use only one core. I mean, I guess you need to futz around with the graphics settings like any other PC game, but I don't remember either of them being too complicated to get working. SH3 in particular was no more difficult to set up than the PlayStation versions.

talonmalon333

I know it's probably hard to say given the fact that only a demo was ever released. But based on that and expectations, how do you think Silent Hills was shaping up compared to the rest of the series?

Lord Il

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 21, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
I know it's probably hard to say given the fact that only a demo was ever released. But based on that and expectations, how do you think Silent Hills was shaping up compared to the rest of the series?
It's definitely hard to say. One thing's for certain, I've never before seen such strong hype for a new Silent Hill game. The PT demo was scary fun and made strong waves in the gaming community. Anticipation was at an all time high. And I think Konami had everyones' jaws hit the floor when Norman Reedus was supposed to have been hired to be in the game. It's mind boggling with how much devotion was seemingly going into this production... and then the plug got pulled.