The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I like the DS Zelda games. Sue me. :P

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 10:16:04 AM
Yeah, I do agree with you. Most of them do look great. Which style is your favorite? I like OoT's mostly cause it just suits the series so well. However, I'd say that WW currently looks the best and has the most timeless appearance. Never get tired of looking at that ocean.

I feel like elaborating on this post.

I said WW looks the best of the games so far, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like it's style the best. I actually prefer OoT's style. Artwork like this is beautiful.

However, despite this, I don't think OoT's style has been used to it's fullest potential (OoT 3D looked like crap). WW's, on the other hand, was so simple and achievable on the GC. Hence why it looks so stunning.

(To be specific, I like MM's look better than OoT's. But it kinda falls under the same heading. Even so, the artistic choices made with MM are just great.)

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 05:42:19 PM
I want to see another non-gimmicky 2D Zelda and another 3D Zelda without motion controls before I die. :(

If you don't want to see them use WMP again, there's hope for you. SS was a failure for Nintendo and one of their biggest financial mistakes ever, so they might not want to stick with WMP after all. Besides, if any franchise can show off the Wii U controller's potential, I feel like it's Zelda.

Quote from: Avaitor on April 20, 2012, 12:47:51 PM
I'm still fond on the Twilight Princess look myself. I think it's a good balance of light and dark, and a less dated take on the OOT/MM style.

I think TP itself looks dated. But again, it's style carries so much potential. All I need to do is link to that screenshot of the Zelda Wii U tech demo.

http://greatgamingcrusade.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ZeldaWiiUScreen.jpg

Simply gorgeous.

If they made Zelda Wii U look like that, it would sell like hotcakes and make Zelda a big seller again.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 07:34:05 PM
SS was a failure for Nintendo and one of their biggest financial mistakes ever
...What? Really!? That's incredibly surprising.

talonmalon333

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 07:45:45 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 07:34:05 PM
SS was a failure for Nintendo and one of their biggest financial mistakes ever
...What? Really!? That's incredibly surprising.

It makes sense if you think about it. SS's controls probably put off so many people. And supposedly it was one of Nintendo's most expensive games to make, ever. In addition, they've admitted themselves that they had expectations for the game, and it didn't meet them. The game sold quite well in the first month... but not at all since.

I was kinda up for Nintendo pulling another MM style sequel to SS, where they'd recycle everything and quickly pump out a direct sequel within a year or two (and this would make sense because the Wii will continue it's life cycle even when the Wii U is out). But from Nintendo's point of view, this probably isn't worth it.

talonmalon333

Feel like posting my favorites from the series. Like before, I'm just gonna break them into tiers. I assume you're all familiar with the abbreviations?

Tier 1 - MM, TP, SS, WW
Tier 2 - OoT, ALttP, LA, ST
Tier 3 - LoZ, AoL, FSA, MC
Tier 4 - OoS, OoA, PH, FS

WW, ST, and MC are at the very bottom of their tiers. And yes, I did just put ST pretty high up.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. Someone can merge them if that's better.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Spirit Tracks over ever single 2D game other the ALTTP and LA?  :butbut:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I respect your opinion and all, but no way in hell will I ever agree with anyone about the Oracle games being bottom tier Zelda games.

For me they are the best 2D Zelda games by far (the only one that I haven't really played enough of is Minish Cap, but I'll get into that one of these days).

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 21, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
Well, I respect your opinion and all, but no way in hell will I ever agree with anyone about the Oracle games being bottom tier Zelda games.

For me they are the best 2D Zelda games by far (the only one that I haven't really played enough of is Minish Cap, but I'll get into that one of these days).
Agreed. :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

The Oracle games were great. There's so much content in them, and together they make quite a long and epic adventure.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2012, 05:54:51 PM
The Oracle games were great. There's so much content in them, and together they make quite a long and epic adventure.
Are they available on the 3DS virtual console? I know Link's Awakening is.

Rynnec

The Oracles were the best thing to happen to handheld Zelda. Any handheled LoZ that's come out since has failed to measure.

Commode

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2012, 05:56:34 PM
No.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2012, 05:56:34 PM
They probably will be sooner or later.

So far Zelda 1, 2, Minish Cap (for ambassadors), and Link's Awakening DX are on it with rumors of ALTTP as a 3D Classic. So basically it seems like all the 2D games will be on there eventually.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2012, 05:14:13 PM
Spirit Tracks over ever single 2D game other the ALTTP and LA?  :butbut:

LoZ is a good game and very important... But it's definitely dated. A lot.

AoL is also good, but again, dated. It's combat relies more on memorization than skill, practically.

OoS & OoA... this part is directed at everyone who's curious about this placement of them. I like these games, but I don't have the best memory of them. Last time I played them was... I don't even remember. I do remember OoA being a bit of a chore, and the bosses in both were a bit "meh", but we'll see what happens when I replay them some day.

FS was a fun multiplayer game... That's all I can say.

FSA was a very fun multiplayer game... Again, that's all I can say.

MC was great... But I find it to be a little generic and forgettable in comparison to the others.

PH... is this thing a game, or a tech demo? :P

(Let me know if I missed any.)

I really loved ST. I don't feel it's the right direction for the series. But for what it is, it's great.

Spark Of Spirit

No, it's fine. It's your opinion. I just didn't really enjoy the DS games all that much.