The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2015, 11:37:03 PM
I agree that ST could have been solid if it were made for the GameCube or Wii, but PH couldn't be saved. Even putting aside the control style, that game was just dull.

Yeah.

Aside from the cd-i games, PH was by far the worst Zelda ever.....and it's not even close. I'm honestly surprised it ranked as highly as it did with critics; was everyone so taken back by the touch-screen interface that they couldn't see how ultimately boring it all was?

On a different subject, you know what I really wanna play? This. Why didn't we get this over here? I'd have taken that over, say, Link's Crossbow Training.

talonmalon333

Zelda games always are universally acclaimed, regardless of the quality of them. But when you ask actual players about games such as PH or SS, most of them will be quick to point out the reasons those games are so much weaker.

But yeah, PH was the worst by far. Especially because of that dungeon that you kept having to redo over and over and over. It makes ST look good.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on April 24, 2015, 07:38:59 AM
On a different subject, you know what I really wanna play? This. Why didn't we get this over here? I'd have taken that over, say, Link's Crossbow Training.
DS games aren't region locked, so you could easily import the European version if you wanted to. I've actually been thinking about doing so for quite some time...

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on April 24, 2015, 09:07:50 PM
DS games aren't region locked, so you could easily import the European version if you wanted to. I've actually been thinking about doing so for quite some time...

:swoon:

Honestly did not know that.....welp, I think we all know what's gonna happen next.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on April 25, 2015, 06:40:50 AM
:swoon:

Honestly did not know that.....welp, I think we all know what's gonna happen next.
Happy to help! Sadly, 3DS games are region locked, but imported DS games seem to work just fine on my 3DS system. Don't know about the newer models, so that might require some Google-fu.

For reference, here's a list of consoles where the games generally aren't region locked, though there's always the rare exception (like Persona 4 Arena): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_importing_in_video_games#Region-free_consoles

It's also fairly easy to play imported games on a Dreamcast by using a boot disc. :)

talonmalon333

How do you guys think ALBW compares to ALttP?

Spark Of Spirit

Excellently. I need to replay it, but it might top the original version.

I do hope it's not the last top down Zelda, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 04, 2015, 10:02:53 AM
Excellently. I need to replay it, but it might top the original version.

It really is something excellent. While I personally don't think it's quite as good as ALttP, I would say with certainty that it's on the same level, and better in certain ways. It really struck a perfect formula. A good world that's average in size, but dense with content. Dungeons that are tough but can be completed in any order you wish. Puzzles that have more than one solution, but require a lot of wits. A story that's nice and well written, but taking a clear backseat to the gameplay and not overwritten or pretentious. Nothing is pushed on you. The adventure is yours to write. It's a perfect formula for the series. The only thing I'd like more is for the story to pack a bit more punch, while remaining as light and non-heavy as it is in ALBW. Let's hope Zelda Wii U continues this formula and makes it even better than it already is.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 04, 2015, 10:02:53 AM
I do hope it's not the last top down Zelda, though.

Well I think Nintendo has taken note of how well the game's been received, so I think we'll see this style again.

Spark Of Spirit

One of the developers at Inticreates was just on a stream for the new Iga game and stated that he had always had three dream projects he'd wanted to work on and one was a Castlevania game which he is now basically making. The third one was the Legend of Zelda.

Now, you know I'm not the biggest on AoL, but I personally wouldn't complain if Nintendo hired Inticreates to make a sidescrolling game just like it with their modern design elements. Not to mention that Inticreates is one of the best action platformer developers out there and could more than deliver on the concept.

Hey, they did Hyrule Warriors and that was new and a success, why not give a sidescroller a shot? It isn't like the series is full of them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Knowing what they do nowadays, I imagine they could make a sidescroller that blows AoL out of the water.

gunswordfist

Sucks that he didn't get the opportunity when Capcom worked with Nintendo for a Zelda game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I saw the Symphony of the Goddesses with some friends earlier today, and it was fantastic. Now I really want to play a Zelda game, but I can't decide which one. Please select any of the following, and I will play the one that receives the most votes:

Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Link Between Worlds

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Would you be willing to play the Oracle games back to back in order to get to the true ending to both of them? That's something that I'd like to hear your opinion on, myself.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2015, 11:25:36 PM
Would you be willing to play the Oracle games back to back in order to get to the true ending of both of them? That's something that I'd like to hear your opinion on, myself.
Yes! :)

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 20, 2015, 11:26:07 PM
Link's Awakening DX :)
:thumbup:

So far, including votes from Twitter, the Oracles are winning, and I also have one vote each for Majora's Mask and Link Between Worlds!