Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Also, I love how you mentioned Ratchet 1, Jak 2, and Banjo-Tooie, but not Sly 3. You must really hate that game. :il_hahaha:

Micki!

So it might have been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but allow me to be ignorant (or lazy enough to not check through 30+ pages :gonk:)
I'm in love with Treasure's N64 2D platformer Mischief Makers, any other fnas around..? It's unlikely, but i'd relaly like a sequel or re-release of it for the 3DS at least...

And the music is also funky  .3.
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

You keep telling me to buy that game. I really should. :-[

Micki!

Well it's a taste thing, i hope you do like it, it's a unique game but unique doesn't always mean universally liked, which is probably why there hasn't been made any more games of the series...

But come on, you're  avisitor on a planet and you consistently harass civilians and ocationally murder them by wrestling them to death as a robot maid, in the most ridiculous of circumstances, and te writing, as little as there may be is funny...

One of my favorite parts was the girl watering flowers in the desert when a giant worm appeared to destroy her plants, and then Marina comes in to stop him and you can literally use the girl you're saving as a dodge-ball projectile by tossing her into the worm, I love the logic of this game  :il_hahaha:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

Quote from: Micki! on March 31, 2015, 08:08:11 AM
One of my favorite parts was the girl watering flowers in the desert when a giant worm appeared to destroy her plants, and then Marina comes in to stop him and you can literally use the girl you're saving as a dodge-ball projectile by tossing her into the worm, I love the logic of this game  :il_hahaha:
That is wonderful!
I always love weird games, so I'm sure I'd like this one. :el_hail:

talonmalon333

I haven't played all of the games on your list, but of course you all know that I agree 100% about SMG2 taking the top spot. I've only established it as my favorite for a little while. :P

I wouldn't necessarily call all of the Crash Bandicoot games great. I still think the first game hasn't particularly held up especially compared to Mario 64, its main competitor. I did play Crash 2 as a kid but I don't remember it very well. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's better. Maybe I should go back to that one. How were the levels in it compared to the original?

Foggle

Crash 2 and 3 are amazing. The first one is a decent game plagued by unfair level design, frustrating controls, and a horrendous save system that straight up doesn't work half the time on emulators (including the PS3).

I really wish I could love Galaxy as much as everyone else does, but I just plain don't like using the Wii remote and nunchuck for a platformer; I would rather have a good old dual analog controller. The quality of the games themselves is undeniable, though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 03:51:28 PM
I really wish I could love Galaxy as much as everyone else does, but I just plain don't like using the Wii remote and nunchuck for a platformer;
First valid thing you have said in *Kanye voice* 18 years. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I really wish I could love Galaxy as much as everyone else does, but I just plain don't like using the Wii remote and nunchuck for a platformer; I would rather have a good old dual analog controller. The quality of the games themselves is undeniable, though.

We in the industry call yours "bad taste". :sly:

I think it works well with collecting Star Bits.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 31, 2015, 03:54:24 PM
I really wish I could love Galaxy as much as everyone else does, but I just plain don't like using the Wii remote and nunchuck for a platformer;
First valid thing you have said in *Kanye voice* 18 years. :sly:
I AM 21 NOW GODDAMN IT

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 31, 2015, 03:54:40 PM
We in the industry call yours "bad taste". :sly:

I think it works well with collecting Star Bits.
It just feels unintuitive to me. And I'd rather collect star bits like music notes from Banjo.

gunswordfist

I thought you were 24 or something?!!  :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 31, 2015, 04:03:03 PM
I thought you were 24 or something?!!  :D

That was yesterday.

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 04:01:13 PM
It just feels unintuitive to me. And I'd rather collect star bits like music notes from Banjo.

Still plays better than 64 or Sunshine. :P

Foggle

They definitely play better than the older 3D Mario games in terms of general mechanics and fluidity. But I would take a GameCube or even N64 controller over the Wiimote/nunchuck combo any day.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 04:15:37 PM
They definitely play better than the older 3D Mario games in terms of general mechanics and fluidity. But I would take a GameCube or even N64 controller over the Wiimote/nunchuck combo any day.

While I think the Galaxy games played perfectly fine, I do agree that I like using a GCN controller more.

Spark Of Spirit

lol, I used to think gsf's joke was that every year Foggle aged backwards and he thought he was 15 now or something.

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 05:57:34 AM
Great list. :) I think I'm going to get Maximo soon. How is the sequel?
I played it once, but not for long. It's not the same kind of game, more centered around combat and less on platforming, but a lot of fans seem to like it. I plan on giving it a better shot in the future.

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 06:05:52 AM
Also, I love how you mentioned Ratchet 1, Jak 2, and Banjo-Tooie, but not Sly 3. You must really hate that game. :il_hahaha:
It's a minigame collection disguised as a platformer. They don't even have the clue bottles so there's no reason to even explore the levels which makes them even more boring than they are. I'm honestly surprised that game didn't kill the series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton