Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on January 29, 2013, 04:39:48 PM
270,000 copies?

Damn.
Across the Wii, PS3, 360, and Wii-U.

The original sold 1.2 mill on just the Wii.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 29, 2013, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on January 29, 2013, 04:39:48 PM
270,000 copies?

Damn.
Across the Wii, PS3, 360, and Wii-U.

The original sold 1.2 mill on just the Wii.

Good lord.

Was it really that bad? I mean, I liked the original Epic Mickey, but admittedly I haven't payed much attention to this one.

Avaitor

I think the mediocre reception the first Epic Mickey had killed interest in the sequel.

It didn't sound like 2 was much of an improvement, either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

From everything I've heard it's not as good as the original. Which is quite sad when you think about how easy the issues in the original were to fix.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, I own both games, but have still yet to touch them. I'm not even too sure if I'll get around to playing them, either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Meh, that's a shame.

Lot of wasted potential.

Foggle

It's hard not to feel bad for Warren Spector, but at the same time... he hasn't really made game that lives up to his reputation since 2004.

Spark Of Spirit

All they needed to do was hire those ex-Rare staffers for level design. Seriously, the level design was the one thing they needed to badly punch up, even over the camera problems (which I'm sure those said staffers would have helped with) and they would have had a winner. They probably should not have bothered with so many ports either, since those versions are supposedly horrendous with controls.

Daxdiv

Spark Of Spirit

Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time

So the game has been beaten and impressions are go. First some length info, there are five episodes like Sly 1 each lasting around two to two and a half hours without going for collectables with a prologue that lasts about an hour and an epilogue that does the same. Needless to say it isn't as short as Sly 1 nor as overbearingly long as Sly 2. For $40, you get more than enough game. So with that out of the way, here are my impressions:

Negatives: Murray's combat sections are usually pretty dull. Bentley's bombs and darts are too weak making him pretty useless for any combat situation. The third Cooper's gameplay is the only one not much like Sly, has the most minigames (emphasized in a montage), and has the shortest usage in the game... though that's not so bad, it makes the third episode strangely shorter than the rest. The final mission in episode four is kind of disappointing considering every other final mission is great in the game. Clue bottles are really hard to see in this game since they blend in too much in the dark backgrounds. Some of the costumes aren't used nearly enough like the one you get in the third world. Honestly, I think a full episode six would have added just enough meat to get the most usage out of everything.

Positives: Sly gameplay is a great as ever. The hubs are finally well designed with many ways to explore and find your way around, you could just explore for hours looking for clue bottles. The missions frequently involve going to a separate map for full out platforming levels like the ones from Sly 1 whether playing as his ancestors or him. Most of the minigames are actually fun in this game for once outside of two or three (that you thankfully only play once) which is surprising. Sly's ancestors are all great additions to the gameplay and add just enough variety to the game without it getting stale. The level and boss design are the best the series has been since 1 for the former and ever for the latter. Bentley and Murray only have one mission per map in addition to being part of the final mission in each episode and Carmelita doesn't do a whole lot either. Sanzaru have proved to be better developers than Suckerpunch with this game. So here's hoping they can outdo Naughty Dog with a new Jak & Daxter.

Basically, if you have a PS3 and enjoy platformers, you owe it to yourself to play this game. It's probably the best game in the series in about every way and the developer really came out of nowhere to impress. Sony's basically sending this out to die... don't let them succeed!

Foggle

Sounds good, I'll grab it when I can. I really want to see a Jak 4 from these guys.

talonmalon333

So I've got a question for anyone who knows.

Can any of you guys list some 3D platformers (released before Super Mario Galaxy) that are as good, if not better, than Super Mario 64?

Foggle

Sure.

Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal
Jak & Daxter, Jak 2
Psychonauts
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Conker's Bad Fur Day

I would consider all of those to be better than Super Mario 64 (which is still an awesome game, btw).

Eddy

Banjo-Kazooie is another great one. (But not Banjo-Tooie.)