Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I've only played the PC versions of Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld, and they were all great IMO.

They're not platformers, but Splinter Cell: Double Agent and the Quantum of Solace game were also a lot better on Wii than PS360.

Spark Of Spirit

GoldenEye was better on Wii, too. They took things out for the HD versions for some reason.

Quote from: Speedy on January 12, 2015, 01:20:14 PM
^ Tomb Raider Legend wasn't released for Wii.  Anniversary and Underworld were, though.  I can't vouch for how good/bad Wii Anniversary is, but TRU for Wii had a really nasty bug in the second level that, if activated, would cause the exit to be inaccessible.  Plus they watered down many of the levels and it was crash prone.
Whoops, yeah, I meant Anniversary. I heard a lot of good things about that version. Didn't hear much good about Underworld there, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

i didn't know strider 2 was released for psn. funny enough, i wouldn't mind the jp version of the game since it had voice acting.

i have been meaning to ask about forgotten sands. has anyone here played it?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Speedy

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was the best 2D platformer of 2014, IMO.  Each time you gain a new skill, there's a sense of "ah, now I can access this area!", which is what you want in a Metroidvania title.  And the presentation is top notch.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Speedy on January 13, 2015, 11:09:45 AM
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was the best 2D platformer of 2014, IMO.  Each time you gain a new skill, there's a sense of "ah, now I can access this area!", which is what you want in a Metroidvania title.  And the presentation is top notch.
I liked both previous Shantae games, but this one was on a whole other level. It's not as obtuse as the original or as short as the second one. This one felt like it could have been a boxed game on the SNES or Genesis.

I personally thought Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight were better, but Pirate's Curse is up there with them. WayForward constantly impresses.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Speedy

Forgot about Tropical Freeze.  Man, February 2014 was so long ago.  Well, tied for best then.

Spark Of Spirit

I think it reminded me the most of Monster World IV, which is one of my favorite Genesis games. I do wonder how they're going to top it, though. Half Genie Hero has a lot live up to if they hope to top Pirate's Curse.

Foggle

Tropical Freeze is the best 2D platformer of all time IMO. I have never been so impressed by one in my life, even when I was a kid.

Spark Of Spirit

Just beat the first world of Thieves in Time. Got all the clue bottles this time (wasn't as hard as I was expecting!) and a good chunk of the treasures. The minigames are easy and not very intrusive and almost all the gameplay is focused on stealth and platforming.

Yeah, it's the best Sly game, no question.

Spark Of Spirit

Got all the clue bottles in episode 2. That one was a bit trickier due to needing the costume to get one of the bottles and some were well hidden, but it was pretty fun to seek them out.

The second ancestor's skill is pretty fun to use. The first was more situational, but this one is quite cleverly implemented.

Spark Of Spirit

Started episode 3 and got all the clue bottles. I forgot how crazy this map is, there are nooks everywhere. I haven't touched the missions yet but I do truly appreciate how in-depth Sanzaru made the maps in this game.

talonmalon333

I'm ranking the Spyro games I've played.

1. Spyro the Dragon
2. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
3. Spyro: Year of the Dragon

All three are very good games, with nice level design and a charming style. In many ways, the trilogy got better with each game. However, I think the original has a sense of wonder to it that isn't as strong in the sequels. It's also bigger (7 worlds instead of 3-4), and seems a little more focused in terms of gameplay.

I haven't played any Spyro game after the first three. From what I hear, I'm not really missing much as the games seemed to get mixed reception at best, and the series kind of floundered without Insomniac at the helm. I know he's in Skylanders, but from I hear, that's not even really his franchise. I wouldn't mind seeing Spyro get a proper resurrection.

gunswordfist

someone needs to save spyro.

also, i want to play the gameboy advance spyro that i hear is good.

Spark Of Spirit

I've only played through the first Spyro. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as most, but I probably need to replay it again to be sure.

On the PS1, I was much more into the Crash games.

gunswordfist

i think i liked crash 3 more than spyro 1 but i doubt it or any other crash platformer would hold up better today.