The Powerpuff Girls

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Hippo

Quote from: Do They Know It's Christmas? on December 24, 2013, 05:02:34 PM
Yeah, PPG was a big merch train in the early 2000s.  I think Spongebob kind of edged them out after a couple years though, by around 2003-2004 they were done.

Yeah, once I graduated they were done. You definitely got the sense that CN was getting ready to move away from the old Cartoon Cartoons and towards new endeavors. The following year they would introduce the city channel design and the so-called 2nd Generation would begin.

Avaitor

I read before that CN told McCracken that he can let the show run for as long as he wanted, but he chose to end it with 78 episodes, just like Dexter, so he could work on Foster's. While that was a hit too obviously, I have a feeling that this burned some bridges between the two of them.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Do They Know It's Christmas? on December 24, 2013, 07:33:44 PMOn another note, I really wish Cartoon Network/Boomerang would drop the Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer special.  It was fucking horrible the first time it aired, it's still fucking horrible all these years later.  Take the hint Turner.

I think that might be a Time Warner mandate. The special first aired on Kids' WB! in 2000, then Jamie Kellner took over Turner for a couple of years and forced CN to play KWB's cartoons. (The special joined the Christmas Party in 2002.) I don't think they can get rid of it, even if they wanted to.

Goldstar

I saw another commercial for the new Powerpuff Girls special last night, and I have to say, the animation just looks Gawd-awful. This CGI is so bad it makes the CGI on The Garfield Show look good. I could see it if this were a student film or something, but Turner studios paid good money to make a PPG special and this is what they gave us? No Craig McCracken at the helm and shitty looking CG animation? It's almost as though Turner wants this special to fail.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

hobbyfan

Avaitor

Heads up- this Sunday, which is the day before the new special airs, CN will air a 5-hour marathon of the show starting at 12 PM.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

King Hippo

I do wonder why the hell CN US never aired Powerpuff Girls Z. It had a dub specifically Americanized, yet it never aired here or in the UK.

Daikun

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Zac Bertschy's Sex Slave on January 17, 2014, 07:44:18 PM
I do wonder why the hell CN US never aired Powerpuff Girls Z. It had a dub specifically Americanized, yet it never aired here or in the UK.

Didn't it come out around the time they were trying to distance the network from old shows? I remember everyone else thought it was a perfect fit for Miguzi but it never happened.

King Hippo

It's just as well, because the English dub is one of the worst things I've ever seen. It's on 4Kids One Piece level.

Kiddington

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on January 17, 2014, 11:42:29 PM
Quote from: Zac Bertschy's Sex Slave on January 17, 2014, 07:44:18 PM

Didn't it come out around the time they were trying to distance the network from old shows? I remember everyone else thought it was a perfect fit for Miguzi but it never happened.

Yeah, basically when they were in the infancy of the live-action push (06-07).

So I guess it was either this or Out of Jimmy's Head.

Avaitor

I'd also think that CN's "boys only" rule or whatever would be another factor against PPGZ, but since they still seem proud of the show, that probably isn't a reason.

New blog!

Silverstar

I think there just wasn't enough demand for CN to bring PPGZ to the States. (I know several people on message boards wanted to see it, but CN doesn't really cater to the adult internet fanbase when it comes to CN's shows.) PPGZ was just a mediocre to average magical girls anime featuring characters who vaguely resembled the PPG cast. Americans don't really need PPGZ since we have the original.

Plus, the English dub of the show was pretty bad.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Heh, I was totally busy for a lot of today and missed the marathon.

Did anyone catch it? Did they pick some good eps?

New blog!

Avaitor

Did you guys know that the guy who played Ghostface in the Scream movies is the voice of Mojo Jojo?

The person who used to upload entire CCF blocks to YouTube before Warner shut them down is doing it again, and while "Criss Cross Crisis" is playing (great episode, btw), I thought that I'd look up his voice, and bam.

New blog!