Dexter's Laboratory

Started by Avaitor, July 03, 2011, 03:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Welp, that was underwhelming.

Avaitor

Eh, it was pretty much what I was expecting. This would have fit in easily with the show if it had aired after all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

As notorious as this short evidently has become, I was expecting much worse. It made it seem like this short had reached South Park levels of raunchiness, but honestly, it was pretty tame, beyond the curse words, which were all bleeped out.  Cartoon Network could have just replaced the title card and aired this as a normal episode and it wouldn't have hurt anything or anyone.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

The Shadow Gentleman

Yeah, its basically a less funny version of that one Spongebob episode.

Kiddington

I was always under the impression that this was a really, really early episode production-wise, and was expecting it to be a lot rougher around the edges. But this looks like it was animated and recorded right around the series' peak. Huh.

...well, anyway, I find it sadly disappointing that it's censored. It really takes away from the mystique of the whole thing, since we never actually hear Dexter and Dede swear, just imply. Still though, at least it's not a bad episode or anything. I got a few laughs out of it. Kind of a shame that it's been locked away all these years though, given that it's really no worse than the aforementioned Spongebob episode.

Ah well, the legend was fun while it lasted.

Avaitor

Imagine in the episode was more in tune to this song.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was hoping for. Not expecting, but hoping for.

This isn't bad, but probably not worth the 15+ years of infamy.

Foggle

Wait, is it supposed to be bleeped out? I was always under the impression that this episode wasn't censored at all.

Not particularly great, or worth being sought after for so many years, but I did love the voice acting.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on January 22, 2013, 02:45:43 PM
Wait, is it supposed to be bleeped out? I was always under the impression that this episode wasn't censored at all.
They made the censored version to air on TV, which obviously didn't happen. I guess they aired that, since CN probably only owns that version.

I know Gennedy should have the original uncensored print.

New blog!

Daikun

I didn't think it was that bad. I knew what I was expecting, and I wasn't disappointed.

It's a kids show from the 90s, after all, so of course, there might be a sense of disconnect with it airing on an adult network. Especially when the definition of "adult entertainment" has changed since that show's time. I remember back in the 90s when swearing used to be a big deal that separated programming for kids and adults on TV. Nowadays, you're going to need a bit more than that, since that old tactic has been cheapened, and I think a lot of people viewing this short went in with that mindset.

Anyway, I'm surprised that CN could air the Potty Mouth episode of PPG, but not this. It feels rather hypocritical on their end. I'm willing to bet that if they'd just changed the title card, it would have aired on CN just fine.

Foggle

Quote from: Daikun on January 22, 2013, 04:10:16 PM
I didn't think it was that bad.
Yeah, it was good, but not great. :)

Daxdiv

It was a pretty average episode. Still some funny bits in there.

I agree with Daikun that with adult shows able to throw around as much swear words as they see fit nowadays, the impact this episode has feels cheapen by the time. That and I kind of liked the Spongebob episode a little better.

Daikun

Quote from: Foggle on January 22, 2013, 02:45:43 PMWait, is it supposed to be bleeped out? I was always under the impression that this episode wasn't censored at all.

The uncensored version is only screened at conventions.

And Avaitor's correct. Genndy DOES have the uncensored print.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Seems like the most shocking part was the title card with Dee Dee flipping the bird. Otherwise, seems about on par with other similar episodes.