Butch Hartman's shows

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Apparently Butch is a devout Christian and a Trump supporter, so he may be going for that angle you're bringing up.

This just seems like a weird fit. Hartman's kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme of things- Danny Phantom ended over a decade ago, TUFF Puppy almost a decade, FOP's heyday was somewhere in that era, and Bunsen is a Beast didn't catch on in the slightest. And while Phantom and Odd Parents still have fans, not many would agree that they've had satisfactory conclusions (and the latter in particular is pretty far removed from his other content). Not to mention that his video presence and his excessive need to plug his work in context where they don't belong rub me as kind of sad. I can't see too many people backing this up, or it catching on if he even gets there.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I guess he's hoping that fans from a decade ago are rekindling their interest in him, but that would be him assuming that children from a decade ago are now parents in desire of safe programming for their kids. It's like if Tartakovsky thought his now adult fans would appreciate him creating his own version of the Lawrence Welk show.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on June 24, 2018, 11:52:21 AM
Apparently Butch is a devout Christian and a Trump supporter, so he may be going for that angle you're bringing up.

Makes me wonder how the hell Tara Strong was able to work on FOP for so long, considering how very liberal she is on Twitter.

But yeah, I will say that watching that pitch video did nothing to compel me to donate to his cause. I remember someone else saying that if anything, maybe he should have tried to pitch a new cartoon idea. I know he keeps bringing up a project he wants to create call "Elf Detective" so I'm kinda curious to know why he didn't think to get funding for that. I mean, I know that a YouTuber I follow called The Mysterious Mr. Enter put out an Indiegogo for his idea of a cartoon. While I feel like that Mr. Enter's project will not reach it's goal, I felt more comfortable giving him money over Butch Hartman, since he at least gave us a basic premise of what he wanted to create.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Good article!

I feel if anything, Hartman should consider becoming an adviser of some kind. He has some talent as an artist and has contributed good jokes before, but as a showrunner, he leaves a lot to be desired.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, it's weird. Hartman's always insisted on being the forerunner of his project instead of staying on the sidelines, but from all his interactions with Nickelodeon execs, he would seem more comfortable being an adviser than actually taking a stand. Like the creation of Chloe. When Nick told Joe Murray to introduce a new female character with a hook, he mocked that idea by giving her a literal hook. But when Nick told Butch Hartman to do the same thing, he never challenged or presented his own twist on the idea. He just gave exactly what they asked. The kind of addition whatever fans were left saw right through. They saw a new character who delivered nothing new to the show's formula, and was only a desperate attempt to save flailing ratings. In an age where even kids who are too young to know Cousin Oliver or that Simpsons episode about Poochie are media savvy enough to know that introducing new main characters in a status-quo heavy show is a bad sign.

But to be generous to Butch, maybe he lost his passion for FOP a long time ago, and only kept coming back even after Nick cancelled the show five times because he thought this would give him enough clout to push his Danny Phantom 2 idea. Maybe giving the okay to those Drake Bell movies was Butch hoping that would add a little leeway for him to make his passion project. And once it became clear that it wouldn't happen even in Nick's current era of rebooting and uncancelling everything else, he jumped ship to make YouTube videos.

Daikun

Hartman reveals his 3 new shows for Oaxis.

He should've shown these off at the START of the campaign. He only has a week left now to raise full funding.

Dr. Insomniac

All of these sound like they were made up on the spot. And what happened to Elf Detective?

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

One mysterious banker gave thirty grand and fully funded the project. What an odd occurrence.

Avaitor

Who wants to bet it was Butch himself?

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Weird that it came in last minute, but a couple of his cartoon ideas sounded good so if he can deliver on this more power to him. I do wonder who the backer was. Seth MacFarlene? Fred Seibert? Someone else he knows? I can't shake the feeling this was by someone that knows him, but oh well goal achieved I guess.

Daxdiv

>Oaxis would have been funded anyway
>You can't criticize me if you never contributed to the field of animation, even though I did a tweet a month or so ago about how being nice to people is the key to success.

What a chode of a dude.

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on June 24, 2018, 11:52:21 AMApparently Butch is a devout Christian and a Trump supporter, so he may be going for that angle you're bringing up.

...and, unsurprisingly, you're completely right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4e3iaXW-aY
https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1019818268306083840

Avaitor

New blog!