The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Peanutbutter

That video is kind of too little too late, since Capcom has turned some things around.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, apparently Street Fighter V has no Arcade Mode....

The most basic single-player game mode of every fighting game of the past three decades is missing in the newest installment of the biggest fighting game franchise of all time. There's also no single-player versus mode, and the Trials mode from SF4 is also MIA here, and will be released next month as DLC. The only single-player option available is Story Mode, which only presents you with single-round matches.

So, basically Capcom is telling anyone who enjoys playing fighting games' single-player modes on a casual level to go fuck themselves and made sure that the content of this game was the most bare-bones yet.

Fuck Capcom. :srs:

Spark Of Spirit

How do you forget the arcade/versus mode in a fighting game? For a company that has been making them for nearly three decades, that's quite embarrassing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Why would a company release such an obvious alpha?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 16, 2016, 05:09:38 PMHow do you forget the arcade/versus mode in a fighting game? For a company that has been making them for nearly three decades, that's quite embarrassing.

I love how Capcom PR tries to defend their actions by saying that more modes will be released later on as free DLC (at least for the single-player portion, from what I've heard) and that they didn't release with the game because they weren't finished developing yet....

If that's true, then that means the fucking game itself is unfinished, and they are flat-out admitting that they released half of a game and actually expect people to be stupid enough to think that Capcom is doing them a favor.

At any rate, I'll just wait a few years for the inevitable Ultra Super Turbo version of this game to come out. Perhaps by then it'll have enough content to actually be considered more than a glorified demo.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 16, 2016, 11:05:37 AM
So, apparently Street Fighter V has no Arcade Mode....

The most basic single-player game mode of every fighting game of the past three decades is missing in the newest installment of the biggest fighting game franchise of all time. There's also no single-player versus mode, and the Trials mode from SF4 is also MIA here, and will be released next month as DLC. The only single-player option available is Story Mode, which only presents you with single-round matches.

So, basically Capcom is telling anyone who enjoys playing fighting games' single-player modes on a casual level to go fuck themselves and made sure that the content of this game was the most bare-bones yet.

Fuck Capcom. :srs:
I knew about everything except for that. Also how is SFV's Survival mode different from Trials? It's been awhile.

I watched a streamer play the game on PC right after midnight, and the shit had some of the jaggiest graphics I've ever seen. It was funny, tbh. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PTGm99Eor8

Well, about freaking time if this happens. I'll let Alpha Omega Sin take this.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is nothing new. Capcom has apologized for the same thing for years and still insist on utilizing the same godawful business practices. They aren't going to change.

One thing that bugs me about the video, though, is that they seem to think that developers and publishers are the same thing. Developers don't release unfinished games because they think that they can get away with it; greedy publishers force them to. Many times most developers wish that they could have more time and money to release the game in the state that they want it to be in on launch. However, as a result of gaming becoming more and more corporate over the years, we get an increasingly disturbing number of buggy and glitchy games that are light on content and were clearly rushed out.

It's pretty much the same case with SFV. The in-house Capcom team that developed it did a great job with the actual gameplay itself. However the higher-ups forced the game out for a February release, and thus we got a game lacking tons of content in addition to having a poor net code.

Markness

Street Fighter V may not be a complete game yet but I've actually had a lot of fun playing it at the arcades I go to. Laura's a really good newcomer to the series and the art direction is a step up from IV. The cover charge for the arcades is also low so it'll tide me over until the game is purchase worthy for me. It's atleast good for versus play.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Mechanically, Street Fighter V is excellent. It's content and net-code where Capcom really dropped the ball, though I've heard that patches have since fixed the online issues for the most part.

gunswordfist

I hate it when people say V looks just like IV.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As a huge fan of SFIV, those people are either idiots or need to get their vision checked. The art-style and animation look completely different. The gameplay is also quite different as well. Ultras and Focus Attacks/Dash Cancels have been removed from the game and replaced with V-Skills and V-Triggers. Certain charge characters such as Vega have been simplified to input characters. One-frame links have been completely removed, and you can only store up to three-bars for EX-attacks instead of four. Street Fighter V is a very different game from SFIV in terms of both looks and mechanics, not to mention having a somewhat different character roster as well.

gunswordfist

As far as I know, over 50% of SF V's cast are characters that aren't in SF IV