What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I suppose so. Keep in mind that the film takes a lot of mythos from The Silmarillion and the Middle Earth Universe in general. So you'll get a lot of exposition about shit that was only briefly mentioned in the book, and that can slow down the pace of the movie at times. I still enjoyed it, but be warned that it is a really long movie at close to 3 hours. It kind of feels more geared towards fans of the book than the mainstream viewer for all of the detail it crammed into the film, which could potentially work against it since LOTR made sensible changes for film without bastardizing the original source material. The Hobbit really does its best to stick as close to the original story as possible, which as I said I really appreciate as someone who loves the book, but even I have to admit that it leads to some really slow moments for the film.

Avaitor

Well yeah, I'm totally familiar with the books, and I actually am among the apparent minority who's excited to see parts from the Simarillion added into the movies.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The movie to me seems to be geared more towards hardcore fans of Tolkien's lore and mythos rather than the more casual, mainstream viewers like the LOTR films, but if that's the case then I think you should enjoy this film, at least as much as I did. I still think that The Two Towers and Return of the King are far superior films, though, but much like Fellowship of the Ring this is a good start to the movie trilogy. I'm just hoping that the sequels follow suit with the LOTR trilogy in terms of increasing the quality as it goes along.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on December 14, 2012, 10:15:56 AM
I'm gonna try to go this week.

I'm the only person on earth who decided to not see the LOTR movies until the Hobbit came out, aren't I?
Something's fucking wrong with you.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 14, 2012, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on December 14, 2012, 10:15:56 AM
I'm gonna try to go this week.

I'm the only person on earth who decided to not see the LOTR movies until the Hobbit came out, aren't I?
Something's fucking wrong with you.
Because I want to see the origin first?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, the Hobbit was great. I haven't read the book since I was a kid, but it all came back as I was watching events unfold. I'm still not so sure about making it into three movies (I still think two would have been enough), but I was perfectly fine with the pacing and never got bored once. Too bad critics seem to be turning on this one, but they're wrong. It's a great movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 14, 2012, 10:51:18 PM
Yep, the Hobbit was great. I haven't read the book since I was a kid, but it all came back as I was watching events unfold.

Yeah, I also haven't read the book in over half a decade, yet I was surprised at how much of the book I could remember and call back upon while watching this movie. It really brought back some fond memories, especially with the scene where Bilbo and Gollum (Smeagol) were playing a game of riddles. I swear I was able to to recite the next riddle each one would ask before they said it, and I even annoyed my friends by giving away the answer before the characters' themselves got them (to be fair, though they were pretty damn easy riddles). That scene also played out almost exactly how I imagined it back when I read the book.

QuoteI'm still not so sure about making it into three movies (I still think two would have been enough)

Agreed.

Quotebut I was perfectly fine with the pacing and never got bored once.

Honestly, I had no problem with the beginning of the movie, as drawn out as it may have seemed. I do think that the main slow point of the movie for me was in Rivendell, though, which for whatever reason I found to be kind of boring. Everything before and after that was paced just fine for me, though.

QuoteToo bad critics seem to be turning on this one, but they're wrong. It's a great movie.

Once again, agreed.

Commode

Just watched the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  It's pretty good, but I do like the American version better.  For one thing, Rooney Mara is a much better Lisbeth then the Swedish actress(who reminds me of purplehairedwonder, lol).  I did buy the other two Swedish movies as well, and all three books.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've only seen the American version of the film, which I enjoyed, but I may hit up the Swedish version whenever I get the chance to re-subscribe to Netflix (assuming that its still on their site for online streaming).

Commode

Oh, I didn't know it was on Netflix, oops.  I just bought all three movies on Blu-Ray at MovieStop when I was out today.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it was definitely available for streaming back when I was subscribed to that service from Netflix. Knowing Netflix, though, its entirely possible that they would've already removed it by now since they change their movie line-ups rather frequently. If it is still there, though, then I'd definitely check it out the next time I'm subscribed to the service.

Avaitor

I've still only read the novels. There are some things I don't want to see portrayed on screen, y'no?

New blog!

Commode

Home Alone and Home Alone 2.  Christmas!  Also the only Home Alones that have any right to exist.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Despite recycling a lot from the first film, I fully admit to loving Home Alone 2 since it was my first Home Alone movie. I don't care if its just nostalgia, I watch that movie every Christmas. There, I said it. And in all honesty, I think it has some of the funniest moments in any Home Alone movie, and I mean genuinely funny. You can't go wrong with Tim Curry as the hotel manager. I don't really get why everyone else seems to hate it, but I quite frankly don't care. I enjoy the hell out of it.

Spark Of Spirit

I prefer the first film (and I don't care what certain people think 'us kids' preferred at the time, I always liked it more) for feeling fresher and having a bit more heart to it, but I like the second one. The other two were terrible, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton