Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregX

Quote from: Silverstar on January 17, 2013, 09:14:09 AM
Even a casual fan of Pinky & The Brain wouldn't like Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain. In fact, they didn't. It would've been an imrpovement to PE&B if it had been merely sleep-inducing; it was so jaw-droppingly bad that you'd find yourself wanting to stick your tongue into a light socket just for some relief. It's every bit as bad as you've heard.

I loved "Pinky and the Brain". As for how bad "Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain" was... it was an even worse case of series rape than "The Goliath Chronicles" was. Yeah, I said it.

Dr. Insomniac

You know, in my previous theory about the idea that Weisman didn't do as much of the work for Gargoyles as had been thought, I can't help but see the amusement in questioning the authorship of a Shakespeare fan.

Also, Jetsons was a horrible cartoon. Not even by subjective standards. The series was an awful stain that deserves to rot in obscurity instead of be lauded as some kind of nostalgic comfort food.

gunswordfist

Static Shock would have been great if they followed the first season or so's format. Mainly, no Gear. Richie was dull as a sidekick. Also, She-Bang sucked too. Anyway, all of the focus should have been on Vergil dealing with being a superhero. A good example is the episode where he was showing off as Static to impress his crush and then she gets injured because he was too busy playing around. Then he goes off and gets real angry and eventually gets called out and told its his fault for her getting hurt. If there was more storylines like then I would like the show more than I already do.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: AddThreeAndFive on January 17, 2013, 11:28:53 AM
I didn't like Megas XLR either. I remember watching it as part of a "vote for the newest Cartoon Cartoon" block and I didn't like it. The characters just seemed too obnoxious and "bro" for me then. Of course, the one I liked didn't make it to series.

Megas is essentially what would happen if you gave to geeky idiots the universe's ultimate mecha weapon. Its best moments come from demolishing accepts of mecha anime and even science fiction in general.

Nel_Annette

gunswordfist

Silverstar

Quote from: AddThreeAndFive on January 17, 2013, 11:28:53 AMCartoons I did like that no one talks about anymore are Time Squad, Sheep in the Big City, Robotomy (it was like Superjail but without the disgusting parts), and the  Problem Solverz. Yes, you heard me. It's supposed to be bad because it's ironic. But I appreciated it on a non-ironic level too. I also liked Secret Mountain Fort Awesome (though that took a few viewings to grow on me). Maybe I'd like Megas XLR more now because SMFA was filled with bro humor.

Time Squad and Sheep in the Big City have pretty much been swept under the rug by CN never to be seen nor talked about again, but Robotomy, Problem Solverz and Secret Mountain Fort Awesome will start airing on Cartoon Planet this month. I also liked SMFA, though it also took me a few airings to get into it; the character designs were off-putting and I'm also not big on "bro" humor, but eventually I was pulled in by the show's surreal silliness. Any cartoon that manages to sneak in a comedic reference to the classic short Peace on Earth is worth a mention in my book.

As for Static Shock, I actually kind of liked Gear; he was kind of a nerd superhero. He had potential, but the writers never did anything of note with him. The main thing that bugged me about SS was how they pandered so hard to make the show appealing to African-Americans. I'll watch any show if it's good and I find it interesting, I don't need the nonstop urban slang and hip-hop, funk and gospel-flavored soundtrack to make me feel like I'm being represented. Not all blacks are hip-hop urban.

I actually think it was the aeon flux of guest stars and crossovers that ultimately killed Static Shock; they made it look like the show couldn't stand on its' own merits.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

Yeah, I'm one that isn't hip hop urban. I did like the first theme song though. Catchy. Oh and so was Hotstreak's theme music. Also, in the comics Vergil is just a nerdy kid. Basically a black Spider-Man.

And yeah, I was thinking about how I also liked the show before all the crossovers and NBA superheroes. The show lacked focus at that point.

The Shadow Gentleman

-Most Ghibli films are boring. Something about the pacing and how indifferent the characters can seem really throws me off. While I like Porco Rosso and Spirited Away, I can't really count them as favorites.

-I don't care how much you say Miyazaki's female characters are strong and "not Disney Princesses". I can't say I sympathize or even like any of them. I may even straight up dislike San.

- Pinocchio is the greatest animated Disney film, and maybe even the greatest animated film. I'm tired of everyone forgetting this movie exists when discussing what the greatest Disney movie is. Its at least better then Snow White.

Dr. Insomniac

And that's why it was a previous theory, not a currently upheld theory.

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 17, 2013, 03:37:37 PM

Fair enough. I misread, my apologies.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: GregX on January 17, 2013, 03:39:17 PM

Yeah, an English class talked about how Shakespeare's authorship was being questioned by fringe theorists involving the Earl of Oxford and Marlowe, and I thought, "Hey, this sounds like what I said several weeks ago about Weisman. And he's a Shakespeare fan. Oh, the coincidences." Thus, causing me to write that post.

However, I still uphold the theory that the Jetsons is shit.

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 17, 2013, 03:41:42 PM
Quote from: GregX on January 17, 2013, 03:39:17 PM

Yeah, an English class talked about how Shakespeare's authorship was being questioned by fringe theorists involving the Earl of Oxford and Marlowe, and I thought, "Hey, this sounds like what I said several weeks ago about Weisman. And he's a Shakespeare fan. Oh, the coincidences." Thus, causing me to write that post.

However, I still uphold the theory that the Jetsons is shit.

Yeah, and whatshisface who directed "The Day After Tomorrow" made a movie about this theory: "Anonymous". Movie was shit.

Yeah, "Jetsons" is shit. But I'll admit most Hanna Barbera isn't my thing.

Dr. Insomniac

Oh God, Anonymous. Why, Derek Jacobi? Why?

Avaitor

Quote from: Graywulf on January 17, 2013, 03:13:05 PM
- Pinocchio is the greatest animated Disney film, and maybe even the greatest animated film. I'm tired of everyone forgetting this movie exists when discussing what the greatest Disney movie is. Its at least better then Snow White.
It's the critics choice for Best Disney Movie eva!!!!

But yeah, I'm just sick of the princess movies overshadowing everything else in the Disney canon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/