Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 18, 2013, 10:35:24 PM

I mean, it seems silly to debate about which of these 2 terrible games is shittier, so I won't, but let it be known that it is a cold hard FACT that Sonic '06 is the worst Sonic game by far.

It's a fact as long as you keep the comparison to main Sonic games. I could probably make an argument for spin-off garbage such as Sonic R. Just thinking about that game is painful (Sonic 2006 is still worse, but it's no longer a huge difference).

Kiddington

As much as I love 3D Land, I just have one nitpicky (though not sure how unpopular) thing to say... the Shadow Clone/Time Trial levels late in the game are not only terrible, but extremely unimaginative as well. Really not caring for the way they just rehashed early-game stages, only with obscene levels of difficulty needlessly tacked on.

Other than that, though, an absolute superb game. One of the best Mario's, by far.

Nel_Annette

I don't know, man. The final boss is the best in the series, but a lot of the levels are just kind of bland, with too little going on in them. And some of it just feels ripped out of Galaxy. It's fine as a pick-up-and-go game, but otherwise it's just kind of... there.

And fuuuuuck the shadow clones. Get those things out of the series already. I almost had a mental breakdown in SMG2 because of those guys.

Spark Of Spirit

The Luigi Purple Coin level in Galaxy 2 almost made me burst a blood vessel. That has to be the hardest anything in a 3D platformer. The final level still had nothing on that one.

I thought they were much easier to deal with in 3D Land, but yeah, I'm not much of a fan of those annoying buggers.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
The Luigi Purple Coin level in Galaxy 2 almost made me burst a blood vessel. That has to be the hardest anything in a 3D platformer.
I don't think I ever played that level. Is it even worse than some of the bullshit parts in Sunshine?

Nel_Annette

There's that, Spark, but the thing that sent me (and my friend) into a fit of rage was one of the final levels, the one with the walls that move in and out when you spin, second green star, the one that's floating off to the right so that if you don't hit it, you die.

That fucking star. We could never tell if Mario was in front of or behind it, and that was if you could time everything well enough that you didn't hit a shadow clone.

If only we'd remembered that the clones died when you broke the crystal at the top. -.-

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yes, the Green Stars. Some of those were infuriating since you had to do some nearly impossible jumps to grab them or use a level gimmick in a crazy way. My most hated one was the one were you had to wall jump up the side of a bridge and either land on the Green Star or die. Nintendo Hard gaming has never been more alive since the NES than Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Quote from: Foggle on January 28, 2013, 05:39:49 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
The Luigi Purple Coin level in Galaxy 2 almost made me burst a blood vessel. That has to be the hardest anything in a 3D platformer.
I don't think I ever played that level. Is it even worse than some of the bullshit parts in Sunshine?
:unimpressed:

There's a secret world at the end of the game that you unlock after getting most of the stars. Every level is unbelievably hard (most in a good way except Luigi's purple coins and that speed switch thwomp level) and probably the hardest levels ever put in a 3D game.

Example: Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos (He makes it look easier than it is)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Nel_Annette

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 28, 2013, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 05:46:57 PM
Example: Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos (He makes it look easier than it is)
Wow, that doesn't look fun at all.
It's a level ripped straight out of a frustration platformer. Most other levels rely on challenging level design, but that Luigi's Purple Coins level is everything I dislike in the genre.

talonmalon333

Super Mario 3D Land, in my mind, feels like Galaxy-lite mixed with New Super Mario Bros. Which is very good, but it's far from the best the series has to offer. As for the Green Star hunt in Galaxy 2, I always thought it was a bit of a tacked on way to make the game longer, sort of like Luigi Galaxy. Like, Nintendo only put them into the game to extend it. It was still good, just not awesome like the rest of the game.

If you ask me Foggle, that Luigi purple coin level is better and not as hard as they are making it out to be. It's definitely quite hard, but not the hardest the game has to offer. And the adrenaline rush makes it fun. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 28, 2013, 06:11:05 PM
Super Mario 3D Land, in my mind, feels like Galaxy-lite mixed with New Super Mario Bros. Which is very good, but it's far from the best the series has to offer. As for the Green Star hunt in Galaxy 2, I always thought it was a bit of a tacked on way to make the game longer, sort of like Luigi Galaxy. Like, Nintendo only put them into the game to extend it. It was still good, just not awesome like the rest of the game.

If you ask me Foggle, that Luigi purple coin level is better and not as hard as they are making it out to be. It's definitely quite hard, but not the hardest the game has to offer. And the adrenaline rush makes it fun. :P
What level do you consider harder? Only that one and the thwomp speed switch level were infuriating to me. Everything else was just challenging enough to be hard without getting overly frustrating.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 06:12:48 PM

What level do you consider harder? Only that one and the thwomp speed switch level were infuriating to me. Everything else was just challenging enough to be hard without getting overly frustrating.

I still think the final two levels were harder. And I also liked the Luigi level more than Flip-Out Galaxy. And I definitely wouldn't say the Luigi level is the hardest in any 3D platformer. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 28, 2013, 06:20:21 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 28, 2013, 06:12:48 PM

I still think the final two levels were harder. And I also liked the Luigi level more than Flip-Out Galaxy. And I definitely wouldn't say the Luigi level is the hardest in any 3D platformer. :P
I didn't die nearly as much in those levels as I did in the Luigi level. Flip-Out Galaxy had some hard points, but you had room for error without getting punished like in Purple Coin Chaos where it takes forever to even find a viable route to the end. (I had runs where I got all the coins and had no way to get back to the star)

What other 3D platformers have levels harder than that? Jak 2 is the only one I can think of, and those still allow room for error in the platforming parts.

Foggle

Jak 2's harder levels aren't even about platforming, for the most part.