Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, speaking of Disney-related games, I don't like the Kingdom Hearts series. I think a lot of people just love how it uses a mixture of Final Fantasy and Disney characters. I did play most of the first game and quite a bit of the 2nd game when my friend used to come over to my house a lot and he always brought his PS2 over, and I honestly thought that the gameplay in these games felt pretty bland.

Rynnec

I enjoyed the second games combat (even if it is pretty shallow overall), and I thought the first games story had its charm, and the gameplay of KH3D is pretty good from what I played of the demo. I hear the story has been out of whack ever since Dream Drop Distance though.

Grave

I also like the combat in KH2, but for the most part I don't like the series at all. If they had a different leading character that wasn't an airhead I probably would've liked it more. I thought the combination of Disney and Final Fantasy characters was a nice touch, and as much as I like Donald and Goofy, I didn't like them here.

Eddy

I never played the Genesis version of Aladdin but I don't know why people shit on the SNES one so much. It's still a fun game!

I also dislike Kingdom Hearts. The first one is the only one I've ever played and I didn't even beat it. I made it to Halloween Town before giving up on it forever. One of the main reasons I stopped playing were the unskippable cutscenes. I don't know how many times I died to the boss in Monstro and had to watch that cutscene again, and again, and again.

Avaitor

Oh, I actually picked up a copy of the SNES Aladdin a few weeks ago for cheap. I grew up playing the Genesis  version, so I'm interested in trying this out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on February 09, 2013, 11:04:25 PM
Oh, I actually picked up a copy of the SNES Aladdin a few weeks ago for cheap. I grew up playing the Genesis  version, so I'm interested in trying this out.

And I grew up with the SNES version of the game, which is why I get so ticked off when anyone badmouths it. I did replay the emulated version not too long ago, and the game definitely still holds up.

I only played the Genesis version of Aladdin a few years ago, and I really did enjoy it. But I still personally prefer the SNES game.

As for the game itself, its basically a pure platformer. It doesn't have any of the action elements present in the Genesis version, so if you're more of a fan of that action style of gameplay, then you'll probably prefer the Genesis version. However, on the flip-side, the SNES version definitely has the superior platforming.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 09, 2013, 11:24:33 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on February 09, 2013, 11:04:25 PM

And I grew up with the SNES version of the game, which is why I get so ticked off when anyone badmouths it. I did replay the emulated version not too long ago, and the game definitely still holds up.

I only played the Genesis version of Aladdin a few years ago, and I really did enjoy it. But I still personally prefer the SNES game.

As for the game itself, its basically a pure platformer. It doesn't have any of the action elements present in the Genesis version, so if you're more of a fan of that action style of gameplay, then you'll probably prefer the Genesis version. However, on the flip-side, the SNES version definitely has the superior platforming.
Y'see, I like both, so I'm hoping that I like the SNES version as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I like both versions too, they are both very different games, but they are both great games.  I don't think I like either one over the other, although I do have more experience with the SNES version, thanks to the GBA port.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't find the camera to in the later DMC games (specifically 3 and 4) as well as the 3D Ninja Gaiden games to be that bad. Yes, they can be troublesome at times, but I feel that people greatly exaggerate their problems as ways to blame the games for being hard, other than the lack of their own sufficient skill level. With the DMC games, while the camera is certainly far from ideal, the game accommodates for this by making it so that enemies cannot INITIATE attacks from off-screen. To be clear for any naysayers around, you can "technically" get attacked from off-screen, but ONLY if the attack animation itself was initiated from on-screen, and in that case, you could still see it coming just fine. I've had a ton of times where I noticed that an enemy was about to charge at me before temporarily exiting the screen, but I still perfectly timed my evade because I knew their attack pattern and knew what was coming. And honestly, I don't really have a problem with enemies going off-screen that much to begin with. I'm not saying that the camera doesn't have any problems, as it CAN screw you up at times, but not nearly to the extent that so many people seem to claim.

As for Ninja Gaiden, the camera can be a bitch at first, I'll give you that. However, the manual control that you have over the camera is actually really helpful, and has kind of actually spoiled me into preferring that kind of control over a camera, though Ninja Gaiden games are the only games that let you do it that way. Games like Bayonetta and the latter DMC games let you slightly modify the angle of the camera, however its a pretty useless feature in those because the speed at which you can adjust the angle is so slow that it is impractical to be able to use during combat when you would need it, anyways. With NG, you can adjust the camera sensitivity and make it so that it moves around at whatever speed you feel comfortable with it. Once you get used to it, you'll actually find that its extremely useful in terms of constantly fine-turning the camera to where you want to be, and you can even comfortably move it around in the middle of combat while fighting other enemies. Its useful because in some cases enemies behave like DMC enemies and don't initiate attacks when they are off-screen, so you can keep the camera focused away from them while fighting the enemies that can actually attack you from off-screen. Now, I'm not excusing this game's camera. You shouldn't need to control a camera manually in the first place, but in this case it works really well and pretty much alleviates the camera problem almost entirely once you get used to it.

At any rate, I don't find the cameras in these games to be bad. They could certainly be MUCH better than they are, but I find it to just be a poor excuse when people blame the camera for making the games hard, which aside from a few instances in which that would be true, is a huge falsehood for the most part.

Rynnec

I don't care much for Demon/Dark Souls at all, and would much prefer it if From Software focused more on Armored Core and Lost Kingdoms.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's kind of how I feel about most RPG's in general these days. I just don't have the time to invest in them, and most of them have such lackluster combat that I don't really have much fun actually playing them. Back when I was in high school, I had a shit-ton of a free-time on my hands and I loved RPGs because of how rewarding they felt once I made a lot of progress in them, but as it stands, I've come to understand their weakness in that they aren't really worth my time unless I have A LOT of time to invest in them to begin with. That's why my interest has gone more towards the more arcade-like shooters, action games, and old-school platformers over the past few years, being that those games have much more to offer when played in shorter bursts.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I tried a little bit of Shadow of the Colossus before, and have seen plenty of gameplay videos of it. It looks like a game that I would honestly enjoy playing through once....and then never again. One day I will play the game for myself, but it just seems that beyond its interesting artistic style and unique style of gameplay, it doesn't have much depth and substance to its gameplay to really support replays unless you REALLY just love the kind of gameplay that it offers. Personally I prefer something a bit faster-paced that you can drastically improve on in subsequent play-throughs, which to be fair may be the case for SotC, but the game honestly looks more like there are only a set number of ways to take down the bosses (maybe even only a single way). I feel like its one of those games that impress people more for its visuals/art style and uniqueness, rather than its actual gameplay substance (like A LOT of games seem to, really). That isn't really a bad thing, and I even think its a game that I would enjoy playing through a single time, but games like these are never really among my favorite types of games out there.

Compared to that, stuff like Ninja Gaiden Black has no artistic quality to boast, and it has a shit story that's just there for the sake of having one. Yet, it has a ton of depth and substance to its combat, a shit-ton of replay value, and is still honestly my favorite game of all time. Others might scoff at the thought of anyone holding such a crude looking game in high regard, but I don't give a fuck what standards other people have. By my standards, NGB is a downright amazing game even to this day, from a pure gameplay standpoint, which is really all I ever care about.

Now, my 3rd favorite game of all time, Yoshi's Island, DOES have a lot of artistic value to its presentation, and on top of that it has a lot of substance to its gameplay, and also has an insanely high amount of replay value. That right there is pretty much the perfect combination. The only reason that its not my absolute favorite is only because I'm a bit more of an action-adventure fan than a platformer fan, BUT its still one of the best damn games that I've ever played, and my personal favorite platformer of all time.

Foggle

Well, obviously Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the greatest games ever made! Maybe even the 28th best...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 11, 2013, 04:40:05 PM
Well, obviously Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the greatest games ever made! Maybe even the 28th best...

Of course, if the world made sense (read: everyone was as smart as I clearly am), Ninja Gaiden Black would undisputedly be hailed as the best game of all time. But, alas, we live in an imperfect world. :>

Spark Of Spirit

I rented ICO once and played through above half of it before I stopped and never played it again.

It was okay, but the gameplay did nothing for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton