Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Yeah, I know the one-two punch works pretty well for most of the game. The problem is, I like shooting pretend men with pretend guns. :blush:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like getting physical and beating the shit out of things. Perhaps that's why I love the hell out of hack n' slash games. :>

talonmalon333

The Big Daddies gave me serious trouble for a while.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, the only one that I found to be kind of hard was the very first one that you fight. That's primarily only because at that point in the game you as the player are extremely limited on your choice of weapons and plasmids, so there's little room for any strategy other than to perform hit and run tactics. Or you can exploit the weak AI by trying to get the Big Daddy stuck behind an object while stuck in an animation where it attempts to charge at you, and then you can repeated shoot it until its dead for good.

After that point, though, the enemy became pretty much a pushover once you had augmented ammunition and more plasmids to use more strategically.

The Shadow Gentleman

My entire battle strategy for Bioshock boils down to "Incinerate + Shotgun = A Man Chooses".

Nel_Annette

I've pretty much just been ripping off Comstock and telling people "The Lord forgives, but I'm just a ______, so I don't have to." all week.  :awesome:

Spark Of Spirit

I'm playing Kirby's Adventure once more on my Wii-U and it's still okay to me. Soundtrack aside, I still don't see the big deal. There are way better Kirby games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I think Bayonetta is the only game that I've played last gen that felt 'nextgen'. I love its large, creative levels. Especially the gravity defying, twisting path ones. I also got to thank Kamiya for having very very little backtracking in the game. It's a really grand adventure.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2013, 04:46:26 PM
I think Bayonetta is the only game that I've played last gen that felt 'nextgen'. I love its large, creative levels. Especially the gravity defying, twisting path ones. I also got to thank Kamiya for having very very little backtracking in the game. It's a really grand adventure.
Yes, that is exactly the feeling I get from it, and one of the many reasons why I love it!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't necessarily mind back-tracking if its done right with good level design, like in DMC1 or Ninja Gaiden Black (or basically any good Zelda game, for that matter). In those games, whenever you have to return to a previous area, there's always something new to do there, like a new place you can reach from that point that you couldn't reach before, or new enemies or a new boss for you to defeat. I hate back-tracking when its used lazily as a way to artificially extend the length of the game, like the way that games like DMC4, and to a lesser extend DMC3, tend to use it.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 22, 2013, 04:48:44 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2013, 04:46:26 PM
Yes, that is exactly the feeling I get from it, and one of the many reasons why I love it!
I really want to replay the game. I still need to get some of the weapons. I just got to figure out how to fix my 360's disc drive though :'(
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 22, 2013, 04:53:29 PM
I don't necessarily mind back-tracking if its done right with good level design, like in DMC1 or Ninja Gaiden Black (or basically any good Zelda game, for that matter). In those games, whenever you have to return to a previous area, there's always something new to do there, like a new place you can reach from that point that you couldn't reach before, or new enemies or a new boss for you to defeat. I hate back-tracking when its used lazily as a way to artificially extend the length of the game, like the way that games like DMC4, and to a lesser extend DMC3, tend to use it.
Backtracking through the level you're in is fine but having to go back through the same levels later in the game is one of DMC1's weakest points. Nowhere near as bad as 4 but still.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I disagree, though. In DMC1 each time you come to a familiar area it still changes things up, either with new, tougher enemies in place of the old ones that you fought before, or new paths for you to go through that you couldn't open before. I think that's good level design because it makes the entire game feel interconnected, and unlike DMC4 you don't back-track through entire levels that often. There are only 2 instances in the game that I recall where you do that, and those are both quick since they have time-limits and just involve you escaping a certain area of the castle rather than a large chunk of it.

I also love NGB's level design. I actually missed it when NG2 made its levels completely linear. And BTW, that game has virtually no back-tracking whatsoever. The closest it gets to that is with Chapter 11 in which you go through areas that you went through in Chapter 2, but even then that's only the first third of the level, as after that you venture into completely new territory. The rest of the game is basically new area after new area. But like I said, I preferred NGB's level design. As I've stated before, my dream game would be a game with Nina Gaiden's combat combined with level design as good as that of a Zelda or Metroidvania-type game.

Foggle

Yeah, I think DMC1 has excellent level design.

gunswordfist

Meh, I'll see on a DMC1 replay one day.

And that's right, NG2 had little backtracking.

And my dream game would be like that too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm actually surprised that you don't care for DMC1's level design. I thought that was your favorite DMC game, and most people who prefer DMC1 over any of its sequels usually cite that as one of the main reasons for why they like it better, since the sequels excel more at the actual combat. Though I suppose the other reason people like the 1st one better is also for the boss fights, which are admittedly better than most of what DMC3 and 4 have on offer, but I still like 3 the best for its combat depth and generally good enemies. There are only a few enemy types that I utterly hate in that game, but there are a couple that I hate in DMC1 as well, so I don't really hold that against 3 too much. What I do hold against DMC3, though, is Arkham. Easily the worst hack n' slash boss that I have ever fought.