Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2013, 12:31:03 PM
The 3DS version of DKCR is better than the Wii version.

Somehow this is unpopular opinion.
A bunch of people on GAF are saying the same thing, I figured maybe they were just excited about the newness of the game and that maybe their judgement would be more fair a few months down the road.  I haven't received my copy yet though, so I can't judge for myself.

That said, I'm a huge advocate of handheld gaming, probably because I'm in situations that make it easier than console gaming more often than some of you others are. 
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 27, 2013, 05:31:00 PM
If you could run n gun in a survival horror, what would be scary about it?
That sounds like a pretty stupid game design decision. The PS1 games had stop and shoot due to limitions. Run n gun is fine, surprise attack and worrying about ammo conservation would take care of the horror aspects.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 27, 2013, 04:12:23 PM
I was going to tell that dumbass that. It's so easy to hook up a PS3 controller on a pc.

Obvious trolling aside (because you clearly aren't good for anything else, since actual intelligent discussion doesn't interest you in the least), I already explained why USB controllers are still not an ideal option when I prefer to play handheld games on handheld devices. But I guess you either can't read or that's too much for your dumb-ass brain to comprehend. In your case its probably both.

QuoteI want to check out this Revelations game. I know next to nothing about it and I know I'll love being able to not just stand still like an idiot to shoot.

So, I take it you suck at classic RE games? :sly:

Eddy

I hear DKCR 3D is borderline unplayable on the old 3DS model, which is what I have, so I'll probably have to pass on it.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Eddy on May 28, 2013, 01:34:38 AM
I hear DKCR 3D is borderline unplayable on the old 3DS model, which is what I have, so I'll probably have to pass on it.

That reminds me... Spark... did you upgrade your 3DS to the XL model or do you still have your launch model?

Commode

I traded up from my launch unit to an XL last August, even had all my Ambassador/VC stuff transferred over, and I gave the OG to my little brother.  I used it for a while, and while I still have it my ship had one of the black OG's in it's lost and found for several months with no one claiming it, so I ended up with it.  I mainly use the smaller one now, not really sure why.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 28, 2013, 01:48:45 AM
Quote from: Eddy on May 28, 2013, 01:34:38 AM

That reminds me... Spark... did you upgrade your 3DS to the XL model or do you still have your launch model?
I still have it, and I have 100%'d world one so far. That's right, I beat Platform Panic on the old 3DS model.  :D

But I also have the Nyko battery which gives it a good grip on the back since I have big hands. The big bonus in battery life is nice, too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I've been playing Xenogears for over 20 hours with my friend, and I have to ask... when does it become good? The characters lack personality. The dialogue is stilted and slow. The battle system is cool at first, but requires no skill and becomes boring to watch after 10 minutes. The dungeon design is poor. The platforming is awful. The OST consists of maybe five endlessly repeating songs. The game utterly lacks sound effects at times. The graphics are bad even for 1998. Worst of all, the pacing is horrendous; the plot meanders for hours in seemingly pointless areas and I don't think we've even hit the main quest yet. I'm not trying to be contrarian here - I'm past that point in my life - but why is this game considered a masterpiece? Is it going to suddenly become amazing halfway through? I'm genuinely confused as to what's so great about it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe it's one of those games that is fondly remembered by people who played it at the time, but that doesn't hold up very well for anyone else who tries it. There's a lot of cases like that for many late-90's games.

Then again, I recall that I don't agree with you a bit about Sonic Adventure, so maybe games from that era just aren't your thing.

Foggle

I don't think so. There are plenty of PS1, Dreamcast, and N64 games I love. And really, my only complaints with SA are the camera and Big's levels. Also, Xenogears is a JRPG, so you probably wouldn't like it either. :P

EDIT: Never mind, thinking it over for a few minutes, there actually are a lot of N64 games I like.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on August 20, 2013, 02:33:38 PMAnd really, my only complaints with SA are the camera and Big's levels.

And the fact that you clearly hate the game. :>

But, I was just being an ass and taking a jab at you over our old disagreement for the hell of it. :D

QuoteAlso, Xenogears is a JRPG, so you probably wouldn't like it either. :P

I'm aware of that, but I was simply stating that a lot of games from that era were called masterpieces (JRPG or otherwise), yet haven't aged well to this day. As far as JRPGs go, as I've said, Chrono Trigger so far is the only one that I actually played up to the end, or at least up to the last boss fight with Lavos, which I never actually beat, but its still saying a lot that I came that far in the first place.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on August 20, 2013, 02:33:38 PMEDIT: Never mind, thinking it over for a few minutes, there actually are a lot of N64 games I like.

Some of my personal favorites are:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Jet Force Gemini
WWF: No Mercy
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 20, 2013, 02:40:57 PM
But, I was just being an ass and taking a jab at you over our old disagreement for the hell of it. :D
:lol: I figured.

QuoteI'm aware of that, but I was simply stating that a lot of games from that era were called masterpieces (JRPG or otherwise), yet haven't aged well to this day.
It's quite possible, yeah. I mean, I don't hate the game at all, and there are definitely some interesting things going on in it, but as of yet I just can't see what, exactly, it does better than other JRPGs from around the same time period.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 20, 2013, 02:44:40 PM
Some of my personal favorites are:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Jet Force Gemini
WWF: No Mercy
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Yeah, those are all classics. MM and Star Fox 64 are still some of my favorite games.

Spark Of Spirit

You could have been playing Brave Fencer Musashi instead.

Xenogears is very much the NGE of JRPGS and is just as polarizing. The only thing I enjoy about it are the on-foot battles, everything else from the story to the characters have aged really badly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 20, 2013, 05:39:21 PM
You could have been playing Brave Fencer Musashi instead.
Yeah, but I found a new and unopened copy of Xenogears at Play N Trade for $30. After hearing about how great and rare it was, I had to pick it up.

QuoteXenogears is very much the NGE of JRPGS and is just as polarizing. The only thing I enjoy about it are the on-foot battles, everything else from the story to the characters have aged really badly.
So it's not just me then! Though it may be just you and me. :lol: The part we played yesterday was actually somewhat interesting. Seemed like the translation somehow got better as well. Sadly, we will not be able to find out if it keeps up the momentum until later this year, since he's going back to his college in North Carolina tomorrow.