The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Hey Desen, Jet Grind Radio. Opinions. Now. 

I know you're into this game, you've had avatars of it before, and now I'm looking at it, and in fact it's putting me on the edge of finally getting a Dreamcast.  I'm gonna keep an eye out for the sequel too, since it's an Xbox game and it should be playable on my 360(probably needs updated like a motherfucker though).  And, since you know I love my handhelds, how is the GBA version of JGR, if you've played it?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Jet Grind Radio is part Tony Hawk Pro Skater and part 3D platformer. Your goal is to tag and do tricks as well as race, so it's a fairly unique game. It's hard too, but there really isn't any game like it out there. The sequel is more focused on platforming at a slower pace, and it's also good, but the original really feels like if Sonic Adventure 1 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater were the same game. Honestly, I think it's the best game on the Dreamcast that isn't an arcade port or something, but fully original. The game still looks and runs great, too.

Also there's the soundtrack which is one of the craziest around.

Sorry, but I haven't played the GBA game. I heard it's good, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm also a fan of Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio future. I personally prefer what I consider to be the tighter platforming of the sequel, but both games are great. The trick system itself is pretty shallow, though, so don't expect the depth that you would get out of something like Tony Hawk in terms of the versatility of what characters in that game can do. Its mainly about the platforming and exploring the levels rather than performing insane tricks and stacking up points.

Spark Of Spirit

So here's the list of the GBA ambassador games for 3DS early adopters:

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

At least half of those are outright classics, and the other half are awesome. Except for Amazing Mirror which is awful. But hey, it's free. Can't complain.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

The only thing I don't like about that list is that I just fucking bought Minish Cap the other week.  That and I'm betting MK: Super Circuit is gonna look awful compared to MK7.  Otherwise, I'm content with the lineup, now we need a release date.

Foggle

I fucking love Super Circuit. Killed so much time playing that 10 years ago.

Spark Of Spirit

Heh, now there's no need to be upset at the lack of GBA courses in MK7 since they're all here!

The UK is getting these puppies on Friday, so it shouldn't be too far away for us.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Why Sacred Stones over Blazing Sword? I've already got both, but I figured they would go with the best seller over the bargain bin shelfwarmer.

Fuck yeah for Mega Microgames and Mario vs DK. 2 of my favorite GBA games.

Kiddington

Never played Amazing Mirror; so it's that bad, eh? I was kinda turned off from what I seen in the promo vids way back when, and never did get around to giving a shot.

Otherwise, pretty excellent list. Ditto on Super Circuit; actually played that for a bit not too long ago, and didn't age as bad as I thought it would; still pretty fun, I must say (in comparison to MKDS, that is; we'll see how it holds up compared to 7). Also nice to see WL4 getting some love, among others.

Commode

Got my Ambassador games downloaded, was constantly on GAF these past few days waiting on the word that they were available, since I don't think NoA has said anything about them yet.

Spark Of Spirit

No regrets for Fire Emblem, since I never played Sacred Stones and it's a good beginner game for people, so I think it's a good choice.

Amazing Mirror is a Metroidvania where you constantly need to fumble around with a confusing map and use Kirby Adventure style powers (one hit and they're gone style) to unlock new areas. THAT'S what makes it frustrating to me.

Go play Wario Land 4 if you haven't yet. Classic, classic game.

Rynnec

I actually quite liked Amazing Mirror despite the problems it had. Granted, it probably wouldn't hold up for me now that I've played Super Star Ultra, but I wouldn't say that it's a bad game.

Nice to see that Yoshi's Island is finally getting its digital release. Guess I know the first game I'm downloading when I get a 3DS.

Commode

Since I'm back home for xmas I went out to the local video game store that I frequented when I lived at home, and I found a copy of Jet Grind Radio for 5 bucks.  The disc itself is in good shape, but the case is a bit marked up by what looks like red crayon.  Now all I need is a Dreamcast, but I'll look at that when I get back to VA.

Also got a copy of Ducktales 2 for Game Boy.  It has the little "Player's Choice Million Seller" seal on it, which I thought was strange.  I thought Ducktales 2 didn't do so well, which is why it's harder to find than the first one. ???  Maybe it's only the NES version.

Spark Of Spirit

Man, I've never even SEEN Duck Tales 2 for the Game Boy before. That game is rarer than the NES version.

I still pop in the first Game Boy one from time to time, how does the sequel compare?

Rosalinas Spare Wand

My bros got 2 PSN cards last night and used it to buy Sonic CD, Daytona USA, and a bunch of Cowadooty map packs.

I'm a little more than miffed that it wasn't Galaga Legions they bought.