The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Sweet haul!

I agree with Beetle Adventure Racing, I love racing games with unique concepts.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

gunswordfist

Yesterday, I found out that my brother had some more games on the laptop he gave me. I didn't even know he liked old school RPGs. OK folks, I forgot what Super Turrican is, don't know what the hell Twinbee is and is Super Bomberman any good?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Twinbee is an old school shmup. I'm not to up on individual Bomberman games, but I know I heard Super Bomberman 2 is one of the best.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

New finds, now with pics!

Normally I don't worry too much about buying old Nintendo games with their boxes, but I made a special exception, one because of the shape the box is in and two because it's a Simpsons item:

It came with everything, including the manual, a warranty card, some ad for players guides, a poster, and the plastic protector dealy.

Another thing is it compliments my Bart's Nightmare box(which is in rougher shape and is missing the manual) that I picked up a few years back:

Oh, and also picked up a copy of Clash at Demonhead, which is something I've been looking for for a while.  Pic for the hell of it:

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Heh, your Bart's Nightmare box is in the same shape mine is.

Man, though, what a letdown that no one else could wrestle the Simpsons license away from Acclaim for all those years. We missed out on so many potentially great games.

Oh, also, good pick ups! Clash At Demonhead is a minor gem.

Commode

This is actually one of the ones I've never played before.  I almost bought it for the Genny some time ago, but decided against it.  I'll probably try to play through the game once, but other than that it's purely a novelty thing.  It's not like I paid that much for it, only eight bucks.

Also, the store I bought this at is the same one where I saw a guy walk out with a copy of Ducktales in it's box a few weeks back, so I guess they get them in semi-routinely.

Kiddington

:thumbup:

Nice finds, and cool that your local game store actually has boxed copies. The only one I've ever seen around here was a sealed copy of Super Mario 64, but they wanted about $200 for it, so that was obviously a no-go.

Commode

Aside from those two, and a bunch of Game Boy games, the only other game box that I can think of that I own is the SNES version of NHL 95, but I don't know where it's at.  It's not here with me and the rest of my SNES collection, so I guess it's at home buried in some random box somewhere.

Spark Of Spirit

An old anti-Nintendo Sega feature from 1992 featuring Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

That was really around the time the first real console war started heating up. But it was something lost in future generations as that console war was actually just in good fun for pretty much anyone involved. It was never as outright spiteful as it got in the following generations. For instance, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would tell you either the SNES or Genesis were terrible systems even back then.

Maybe it's because we have more manchildren now? I don't really know. But that video is actually pretty tame compared to other anti-competition stuff in recent years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, back in grade school I knew at least a few kids who only owned 1 of the 2 consoles and took the console war pretty seriously back then. Ironically, back then my parents used to make a lot more money so we could afford both consoles and my older brother and I were kind of spoiled, but we had both and loved them (though if we had to pick I preferred the SNES whereas my brother liked Sega a bit more), so I never really got offended when someone bad-mouthed one of the consoles. That said, kids can be ridiculous and it was funny to see fans of one console talk smack about the other with me knowing that they clearly didn't know what they were talking about since it was obvious that they hadn't really played any of the games on those consoles.

At any rate, its fine to dislike another console, that's all opinion. What I really can't stand is when people try to insult other people who like consoles that they hate. That's just plane immature and pointless. As for me? I like good games. I couldn't care less what console they are on as long as they are good; well, OK, that's not entirely true since I would like it to be for a console that I actually own, but I don't hold anything against a game based on what console its released on.

If I were to give my standing for each generation since the SNES and Genesis, though, my preferences would go like this:

SNES- I loved the Genesis as well, but I typically got more gaming mileage (as in more play-time) out of my SNES games, so that obviously gave it the edge for me.

Dreamcast- I know that many people argue that the DC is part of the same generation as the PS2, GC, and XBOX, but IMO since its life-cycle started during the N64/PS1 generation and ended really early into the next generation, I consider it part of the previous generation of consoles, personally. At any rate, even if it was part of the PS2 generation, I'd still pick it over the other consoles, either way.

PS2- It pretty much wins over the GC and XBOX by default, and for the record I didn't even own a PS2 (but I pretty much played it all the time at my friend's house who I frequently visited), and I did actually own an XBOX and might as well have owned the GC since my cousin lent his to me and didn't really bother asking for it back that much since he wasn't much of a gamer.

Nintendo Wii- Once again, I don't even own this console, and in this case I don't even get to play it that much, but the fact that it has way more games that interest me than either the XBOX360 or PS3 pretty much gives it the victory by default.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 07, 2012, 12:33:12 PM
Dreamcast- I know that many people argue that the DC is part of the same generation as the PS2, GC, and XBOX, but IMO since its life-cycle started during the N64/PS1 generation and ended really early into the next generation, I consider it part of the previous generation of consoles, personally. At any rate, even if it was part of the PS2 generation, I'd still pick it over the other consoles, either way.

Which gen would the Saturn fall? :P

Spark Of Spirit

^PS1/N64

Yeah, one of my friends took the console war a bit too seriously (he was adamant that the SNES came out BEFORE the Genesis, like it mattered which came first) but as a whole some friends owned one and some owned the other so we all pretty much got to play everything. If anything nowadays there's less incentive to get one over the other since third party exclusives are pretty much dead, but back then there was a lot you simply weren't getting with one system.

My favorites of each gen would be:

NES/Master System - NES, obviously
SNES/Genesis/TG16/Neo Geo - SNES, but Genesis is right there next to it
N64/Saturn/PS1 - PS1, for simply having the most available for it
GC/DC/PS2/Xbox - Dreamcast, for being by far the most unique and having excellent arcade ports
Wii/PS3/360 - Wii, for pretty much the same reason as the Dreamcast, also having a ton of unique games both retail and digital

talonmalon333

NES
SNES
N64
GC
Wii

Oh but I'm not a fanboy. :thumbup:

Commode

lol the Genesis was out two whole years before the SNES was released, how could he argue that?  Shit, Sonic the Hedgehog came out here before the SNES did.