The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Il

Quote from: Comeau on May 03, 2014, 02:35:20 PM
Picked up this CIB Manhattan Project today.

Love that box art.
Looks like actual Eastman and Laird artwork. Very nice!

Commode

Also picked up boxed copies of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge for Game Boy Color(this one even had the original Toys R Us receipt still included amongst the papers inside the box) and Classic NES Series Super Mario Bros. for Game Boy Advance, both in amazing shape.  And Looney Tunes Space Race for PS2(I heard it's supposed to be a decent game), Mega Man X for SNES, and another Kirby's Adventure for NES.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Commode

Japanese version of Babs' Big Break:

Look at how tiny these Japanese Game Boy boxes are(compared to a standard NA Game Boy box and the NA cartridge of Babs' Big Break)

Also found a few other gems(all loose though) like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2(Japanese version of Back From the Sewers), Japanese version of Metal Gear for GBC, Felix the Cat for GB, and Faceball(very hard to find FPS-styled game, really pushes the tech limits of the Game Boy, although it's still not very good).

Avaitor

I found my sister's old GBC. She won't miss it, so I was thinking of either pawning it off or buying these copies of Mario Tennis and Game & Watch Gallery that I found for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Commode

It came!  It finally came!  I imported a Famicom for 100 bucks, and after three weeks it's finally here.  Unfortunately the RF adapter that comes with it doesn't work on North American televisions, I need a RF adapter for the NES.  I used to have a couple, but of course when I need them I can't find them.  I'll have to get one off Amazon or something.

Now I can finally play the first Goonies game that I've had for a while now(and also didn't see a home release in America).

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: Comeau on January 07, 2012, 01:55:00 PM
Just bought a fat PS2 for 5 bucks.  It's pretty cool, since my PS3 doesn't play PS2 games, and my old PS2 I gave to my brother ages ago, and I don't know if he still has it.

EDIT: I don't know if the ps2 is retro enough for this thread.  Eh.
Dammit, so this thing finally died on me.  Wanted to play some Vice City for shits and giggles, and now it doesn't power on at all.  No sign of life, tried a different power cord, the one from my PS3(which turns on just fine with both power cords), could be the power supply inside the thing I guess but I'm not too sure how well I could fix that.  Sucks, now I've got to keep an eye out for another one.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Comeau on July 08, 2014, 07:40:49 PM
Quote from: Comeau on January 07, 2012, 01:55:00 PM
Just bought a fat PS2 for 5 bucks.  It's pretty cool, since my PS3 doesn't play PS2 games, and my old PS2 I gave to my brother ages ago, and I don't know if he still has it.

EDIT: I don't know if the ps2 is retro enough for this thread.  Eh.
Dammit, so this thing finally died on me.  Wanted to play some Vice City for shits and giggles, and now it doesn't power on at all.  No sign of life, tried a different power cord, the one from my PS3(which turns on just fine with both power cords), could be the power supply inside the thing I guess but I'm not too sure how well I could fix that.  Sucks, now I've got to keep an eye out for another one.
PS2's are notorious for poor quality hardware. You might have to buy 2 or 3 just to be sure it won't decide to stop playing blue discs on you.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2014, 10:34:24 PM
PS2's are notorious for poor quality hardware. You might have to buy 2 or 3 just to be sure it won't decide to stop playing blue discs on you.
First I've heard of this. I've had mine since 2003 and it's never even frozen or crashed once. Still works like the day we bought it, and I played that shit extensively as a kid. Like, having the console on 8 hours a day extensively. Pretty sure they only go bad if you watch movies on them.

Funny thing is, my Xbox 360 has also never had any issues (though the disc drive does tend to get stuck these days). It's only my PS3 and Wii-U - the supposedly superior quality consoles - that have lots of problems.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 09, 2014, 10:40:33 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2014, 10:34:24 PM
First I've heard of this. I've had mine since 2003 and it's never even frozen or crashed once. Still works like the day we bought it, and I played that shit extensively as a kid. Like, having the console on 8 hours a day extensively. Pretty sure they only go bad if you watch movies on them.
I'm on my third PS2, my friend is on his third or fourth, and another friend who barely games has gone through two. It's not the most reliable system.

Quote from: Foggle on July 09, 2014, 10:40:33 PMFunny thing is, my Xbox 360 has also never had any issues (though the disc drive does tend to get stuck these days). It's only my PS3 and Wii-U - the supposedly superior quality consoles - that have lots of problems.
My 360 red ringed on me. Another friend had a red ring, and an acquaintance was on his third 360 last I heard.

Other than my NES, Wii-U, 360, and PS2, I've never had a hardware related problem with a video game console. I assumed console-makers would get better at this over time.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2014, 10:45:48 PM
I'm on my third PS2, my friend is on his third or fourth, and another friend who barely games has gone through two. It's not the most reliable system.
My friend has used the same one since 2005, my other friend has used the same once since 2006 and it still works despite having been dropped and smashed at the bottom of his closet, my other friend has used the same one since 2007. They all still work perfectly, just like mine. I also bought a used Japanese PS2 a year ago (no telling where it's been) and it works perfectly too. Only one of my friends has had his PS2 mess up, and it was because he watched lots of DVDs on it. The laser going out from emulating a DVD player too many times is a known issue, but that's about it from what I can tell.

I dunno, maybe you and your friends are really unlucky, or maybe my friends and I are really lucky. But I've never heard of the PS2 having faulty hardware before.