The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 24, 2012, 11:10:15 PM
Final Doom is also on PC, I believe. Also, don't forget Resurrection of Evil. Was that one ever released for Xbox?

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 24, 2012, 11:07:04 PM
Though I heard DOOM 64 is more horror-y than the other games. I'm not sure how true that is.
More horror than Doom 3? :huh:
Probably not that horror-y, remember this was an N64-era game.

I think there's a PC remake of DOOM 64 (not official though... if it matters) called DOOM 64 EX.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Cool! It's not done yet, though. (EDIT: Wait... yes it is. I think.) Reminds me of the Serious Sam: Next Encounter PC remake on the SSHD engine. :joy:

Foggle

Oh my god Doom 64 EX is great. Graphics are awesome and extremely gloomy for an N64 game, level design is great too... but here's the best part:

Disable auto-aim
Enable mouse aiming
Enable crosshair

The game now plays like Quake/Painkiller/Serious Sam! So fucking awesome!

Spark Of Spirit

Explore those levels! That's always my favorite part of the DOOM games. the levels are always full of tricks and traps and cool scenery and enemy encounters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I shall! Not tonight, though. If you turn around in the first room, you find a berserker power up. :SHOCK:

Just realized that you can add mouse aim to Doom 1 and 2 as well. Going to make things pretty interesting next time I play through them...

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 24, 2012, 11:59:13 PM
Explore those levels! That's always my favorite part of the DOOM games. the levels are always full of tricks and traps and cool scenery and enemy encounters.
Same here. Doom has always had the perfect kind of level design for shooters. It's amazingthey got it right so early.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Just beat the third level of Doom 64. Honestly, this might be the best game in the series. The level design is just excellent (legitimately creepy atmosphere, lots of secrets, ACTUAL PUZZLES) and the sprites still look good. Highly recommended.

Oh, and make sure you play on I Own Doom (Hard mode); Bring It On (Normal mode) is far too easy.

Foggle

Soul Reaver is now available on GOG. It's $6. :joy:

Hope they get the rest of the series on there eventually.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

....I wonder if that would run on my computer....

Foggle

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/legacy_of_kain_soul_reaver

QuoteMinimum system requirements: Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7, 1.8 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM (1 GB recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), 2GB HDD, Mouse, Keyboard.

Sysreq is pretty close to Max Payne 2. I'm not sure how well Soul Reaver would play with a keyboard/mouse, though. Do you have a wired 360 controller? You can use it as a PC gamepad.

Spark Of Spirit

So Foggle is there any particular Virtual Console game you'd be interested in? I'd assume a game that you can't already get on Steam or via a compilation like New Adventure Island, Air Zonk, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, or the TG-16 version of Ys I & II.

Foggle

Hmm... do they have Rocket Knight Adventures on there? I still need to play that game. :o

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 30, 2012, 11:18:51 PM
Hmm... do they have Rocket Knight Adventures on there? I still need to play that game. :o
No. I wish they did.  :'(

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2012, 11:21:00 PM
:cry:

How is that new Castlevania game on WiiWare?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 30, 2012, 11:25:15 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2012, 11:21:00 PM
:cry:

How is that new Castlevania game on WiiWare?
The Adventure Rebirth? If you like Castlevania IV, it's basically a sequel to that. The soundtrack is pretty awesome!

Those are my favorite Castlevania games, so I would totally recommend it.