The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

So as I got my point card for the Monster World games next week I noticed I had enough points left for Bomberman '94 so I picked that up. I can't exactly knock 5 player multiplayer, but so far it seems to blow Bomberman '93 away. Pun fully intended.

Unless we get Saturn emulation on the Wii-U, this is probably going to be the best Bomberman for local multiplayer for a long time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 05, 2012, 03:02:21 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 05, 2012, 02:28:58 PM
Phantasy Star IV (THE GREATEST 16-BIT RPG OF ALL TIME FUCKYOUSQUARE)
Vectorman 2 (More of the same if you like Vectorman, a real if ain't broke don't fix it sequel)
Revenge of Shinobi (HOLY CRAP ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?)
I already know that I love these three. ;) Just wanted to post up the whole list for people to see.
I thought you thought PS4 was outdated?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

...5 player multi-player? Not 4, not 6? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS :SHOCK:

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 06, 2012, 04:29:35 PM
I thought you thought PS4 was outdated?
I think the first two are. Never played 3, and I like 4.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2012, 04:12:11 PM
So as I got my point card for the Monster World games next week I noticed I had enough points left for Bomberman '94 so I picked that up. I can't exactly knock 5 player multiplayer, but so far it seems to blow Bomberman '93 away. Pun fully intended.

Unless we get Saturn emulation on the Wii-U, this is probably going to be the best Bomberman for local multiplayer for a long time.

Aren't Saturn games hard to emulate or something like that?

gunswordfist

Once I think about it, 5 player co-op in Bomberman makes PERFECT sense. 1 in each corner, 1 in the middle.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on May 06, 2012, 04:36:19 PM

Sega's just getting emulation down now with Sonic CD (Sega CD) and Radiant Silvergun (Saturn) for their more difficult systems. Not to mention their Dreamcast ports. Which should mean the Wii-U VC could probably handle everything up to Dreamcast and Gamecube.

If that's the case then Saturn Bomberman could be one of the headliners. Not to mention being able to reliably play Nights, Burning Rangers, Astal, and the Clockwork Knights games without having to hunt them down.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 06, 2012, 04:51:50 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on May 06, 2012, 04:36:19 PM

Sega's just getting emulation down now with Sonic CD (Sega CD) and Radiant Silvergun (Saturn) for their more difficult systems. Not to mention their Dreamcast ports. Which should mean the Wii-U VC could probably handle everything up to Dreamcast and Gamecube.

If that's the case then Saturn Bomberman could be one of the headliners. Not to mention being able to reliably play Nights, Burning Rangers, Astal, and the Clockwork Knights games without having to hunt them down.

I certainly hope that'd be the case. Much as I want to play a few Saturn games, they're really not enough of them for me to shell out cash for the system.

Spark Of Spirit

I must be a lot better at Super C than I thought. I sat down to play it on the VC and got up to level 3 without even dying once and finally had to continue in mid-stage 4. Honestly, this game really didn't need the 30-live code, even if it was in the game. I barely remember the level layouts and I still managed to get about halfway through the game before running out of lives. With a bit of practice it wouldn't take long to beat it on one continue.

That said, I miss the platforming from Contra. It has always been my biggest issue with Super C, most levels are merely straight lines with few set pieces. But it makes up for it with its simplicity, so at least it isn't a carbon copy of the original. Also, unlike the arcade version, the NES version has rock solid controls.

Lord Dalek

Contra is one of those rare arcade games where graphics quality is not nearly enough to keep it from paling against the NES version. And Super Contra actually manages to be worse in that regard.

Spark Of Spirit

This time I made it up to Area 6 before I simply hit a wall. I forgot how much I detest that level. The overhead levels in Super C are why I would not enjoy a 3D Contra game.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 07, 2012, 12:02:51 PM
Contra is one of those rare arcade games where graphics quality is not nearly enough to keep it from paling against the NES version. And Super Contra actually manages to be worse in that regard.
Yeah, I still couldn't believe when I tried the arcade version years later. The art style and controls are just lacking while the NES versions have a very clean and simplistic style that work much better. Not to mention the awkward aiming and jumping.

Avaitor

How much would you pay for a copy of Super Street Fighter II on the SNES?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

$5.

I would prefer Turbo over that one. IMO, it has the best balance.

Avaitor

I found it for $20 at Gorilla Games. I thought it was rather pricey, but I'd still love to have it in my collection.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

The Monster World games came out on the VC today.

You guys have to get Monster World IV. It's a great action platformer. Easily one of the best games on the Genesis.

Monster Land arcade is rock hard, but it's really fun it's simplicity. Since it has actual continues, it's the best version there is.