The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

I haven't been inside one since I lived in Idaho.  They had them around here, but they all closed up shop some time before I got here. There's one still standing in VA Beach, but it's gutted inside; all that's up is the signage.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Super Mario World for $14 today.

I'm building up my SNES quite well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I finally found the first Road Rash for Genesis, and I also got World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for Genesis.

Oh, and I traded a dude my top loader NES for a Master System, I had been looking to get rid of my top loader.  Now I need to find some Master System games.

Avaitor

Also, I'm trying to decide which system I should get next, an NES, Genesis or Dreamcast.

Suggestions?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd say it depends on what kinds of games in particular you want to play. If you want more classic platformers, it'd be more obvious to lean towards the NES or Genesis, but if you wanted a lot of good underrated gems from last-gen, or just a good selection of high unique games, then the Dreamcast would be a better choice for that scenario.

Commode

Personally I'd say either the Genny or the DC.  Nothing against the NES, it's a fantastic system, but I've kind of gotten bored with a lot of it's games(I've started to seek out lesser known titles, moreso than other systems).  16 bit generation really was the best generation of gaming so far.

Plus, with the trends I've witnessed, you can get either a Genesis or Dreamcast for ~$20, NESs usually run $30 or more.

talonmalon333

Gotta go with the NES or Gen. Both are fabulous systems, though the DC is great, too.

gunswordfist

My brother and me got to the Final Mission for the first time yesterday. Well, he put the game on Easy and 9 continues without me knowing and he lost all of his lives some time before the boss in mission 4 but yeah, I went on to that stage...and died not too long after the first few enemies...and I didn't get a plane.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Commode

So I just found out the other day from Nintendo Age that several of the early NES games have Famicom adapters inside of them(apparently upon the NES's launch Nintendo was running low on NA circuit boards, so they just used FC boards with the adapter), the best example of which is Gyromite but other games like Clu Clu Land, Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, Golf, Pinball, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Wrecking Crew, pretty much most of the games that were available upon the NES launch have been known to have them.

Cool, I thought, because most of these games are fairly easy to find in video game shops for cheap, so I went out today and bought copies of Pinball, Wild Gunman, Wrecking Crew, Ice Climbers, and Excitebike, and lo and behold my copy of Excitebike has the adapter inside of it.  I don't really know what to do with it, but if I so chose I'd be able to play Famicom games on my NES. Anyways, it's a pretty cool thing to have.

Commode

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention too that I found a copy of Ducktales 2 for NES.  $59 for just the cart though, not exactly cheap.

I'm keeping an eye out for the Rescue Rangers games now, RR2 is apparently just as hard or harder to find than Ducktales 2.

Spark Of Spirit

Nice pick ups, Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers are two of the best NES games and while the sequels aren't quite as great, they are extremely fun.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Super Punch Out is the Club Nintendo reward for this month.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

The Turbografx is 25 years old today! (technically this happened yesterday)

This is probably the most overlooked system ever (next to the Dreamcast), but since the system was also part of the 16-bit generation you know it had its work cut out for it. The system was still great, however.

Avaitor

Wanna make us a list of essentials? ;)

New blog!

Commode

How do Club Nintendo rewards work?  Wouldn't mind getting Super Punch Out! really.