Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, March 16, 2012, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

You know how they did an (originally) one-night only restored showing of Casablanca earlier this year?

They're doing it for Singin' in the Rain, too. Hell fucking yes. They're even doing it in my town, too. The same theater I went to the midnight premiere to Avengers for.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I'll finish my noir list later.

But first everyone watch this now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So, uh, why is the Red Dawn remake still called Red Dawn? This is as weird as the Karate Kid remake still called the Karate Kid.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its for marketing value. People will recognize the name from the original and studios hope that will get more people interested in seeing it, even though people have mostly wised-up to how shitty and half-assed a majority of remakes are.

gunswordfist

During the trailer I was like, 'Wait, is that Thor?!'
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, this is kind of old news, but I only just found out that The Hobbit has now been split into 3 movies instead of 2, and I can't help but feel like this is just a ploy by the studios to make more money off the movies by padding them out more. For one thing, the novel isn't that long so 2 movies would have been more than enough to adapt it and still have room for some filler, but if they're stretching into 3 movies then its going to have to have a lot of filler. I know that Peter Jackson is going to fill in the extra time with canon material from the extended Middle Earth mythos from Tolkien's other work (namely the Silmarillion), but I still just get the feeling that this is going to cause the story to feel way more drawn out than it needs to be. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but for right now I'm pretty skeptical. Also, I feel like Peter Jackson has a lot to prove here. I loved his take on the LOTR in his movie trilogy adaptation of it. He had to take a lot of liberties from the novels, but I honestly approved of most of his changes as they were in the best interest of adapting the epic tale to movie format, and he certainly didn't play it safe and in this case his risks payed off.

That said, I haven't liked a single other thing that he's directed besides those movies, so either those were a big fluke or he just happens to be good at making those kinds of fantasy type movies and just sucks at everything else. That is to say that I don't think he's very good at making grotesque horror comedies (Sam Raimi trumps him at that with Evil Dead 2, whereas I found Brain Dead to be highly overrated, and not that funny), he clearly sucks at remaking King Kong, and I tried watching that one serious movie he directed on HBO about a year or so back and it was probably the most boring thing he's ever done to date. So, yeah, the LOTR trilogy is currently the only part of his cinematography that I find to be worth anything at all. I'm hoping that The Hobbit falls in line with those films rather than going down the route of his other works.

Avaitor

Have you seen Heavenly Creatures? It's always been a movie that interested me, but I never got the time to see it.

I like the idea of adding some facets of the Silmarillion into these movies, if only because it'll be the only chance we get to see them on screen. But a trilogy based off of parts of it and the Hobbit is pushing it, really.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

The only thing I'm concerned with is how Sylvester McCoy, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Martin Freeman will have time working on certain BBC productions while this is in production.

talonmalon333

Is it possible the third Hobbit movie will go with his original idea, to make a movie that bridges the gap between Hobbit and LotR?

Spark Of Spirit

Avaitor

Yeah, I read that and went to watch some of the more classic cheesy episodes of the original to wash that out of my mouth.

Yech.

New blog!

Foggle

gunswordfist

What was that shit? It gets harder and harder to defend Bay. First that fucking helicopter Victoria Secret commercial and now this.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

If you had to tell me who the hell this guy is, then you are not making a decent reboot.